time for staff changes in Huntingdon?

MustangGuru

About the wing t... I think it is a great offense but you cant sit there and run outside right and outside left everyplay. Eventually teams are going to stop that as fairview did in 02. You need to have some power running game in the middle and the over play we ever ran there was g. We ran the I and the wing t mixed together for 3 years, 1 gold ball, 1 silver ball, and 1 semi final apperance. Why did we change it this year, i dont know...

I still dont understand the time out issue though. I just think that it sends a bad message to the team and to the fans. Some of the things we could have worked on the last three weeks could be really important down the road when it comes to us winning a game. We could have worked on the two minute offense which we have never been that good at or just anything to help us get better. I think it sends a bad message to the team that says its over and it is time to give up. Has anybody else noticed us not using our timeouts at all the last three weeks in the second half?

I always thought the wingt at Huntingdon evolved over a period of time. It got tweaked almost yearly and we seemed to always be one step ahead of most every team in west tn. who ran the offense. Coach Swenson stated the exact thing your saying. He thought after 02 the offense had gotten away from its smashmouth roots and installed the "I" formation to try and get it back. If We can get on a roll over the next three games we'll be alright.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told ya'll in 04 Camden was passing the Mustangs and you didn't believe me. Believe it now! Where is Mustang69 and the Shelly Sandwich Crew these days? Huntingdon fans are just like all others - lose a few and people start disappearing.

Camden may be passing Huntingdon but you can also believe this. Camden would be struggling with wins just like Huntingdon if you was playing the same schedule.

I told ya'll in 04 Camden was passing the Mustangs and you didn't believe me. Believe it now! Where is Mustang69 and the Shelly Sandwich Crew these days? Huntingdon fans are just like all others - lose a few and people start disappearing.

I'm still here, just not interested in your stank toedigging propaganda.

These seniors HAVE to step up and the coaches need to put them in position to be able to. If Huntingdon is going to be successful we need to start playing IRONMAN football right now.

Chris Donald if only at 50% needs to be on the field 100% of the time. What happened to our gameplan vs Mckenzie lining him up in the slot? We may have only attempted one pass to him that night but he garnered attention from 2 and three defenders all night long...hence we rushed for 300 yds?

The same goes for McCormick, he's a playmaker and needs to be on the field all the time NOT running plays in and out.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest........... I still BELIEVE in the program, players, AND coaches. They just need a little fine tuning.

Camden may be passing Huntingdon but you can also believe this. Camden would be struggling with wins just like Huntingdon if you was playing the same schedule.

Camden can't help the region they were put in, as I would like to be in 7-2A. Gotta beat the best to be the best. :thumb:

Also, I think the mustangs were a better team in Week 1 than they are now. Playing Camden and Westview back to back is brutal. You guys have a lot of talent, but it's all injured.

I think the mustangs still have some magic left in them this season. I am a hardcore Camden fan, but I respect the Huntingdon program for all of its tradition and success.. Don't count yourselves out this year, there's still 4 weeks left.

Get up, Stangs! We wanna play you again in the semi's!

I always thought the wingt at Huntingdon evolved over a period of time. It got tweaked almost yearly and we seemed to always be one step ahead of most every team in west tn. who ran the offense. Coach Swenson stated the exact thing your saying. He thought after 02 the offense had gotten away from its smashmouth roots and installed the "I" formation to try and get it back. If We can get on a roll over the next three games we'll be alright.

And not only did our offense get soft during those years but our defense did as well. I know when we played fairview they were alot bigger than we were but that has never mattered in the past. i have heard many stories about some of the smallest defensive linemen being some of the best to ever play at huntingdon. We got physically man handled by fairview that year and it was time to go back to huntingdon football and become the most physical team we would be and i think we accomplished it.

And not only did our offense get soft during those years but our defense did as well. I know when we played fairview they were alot bigger than we were but that has never mattered in the past. i have heard many stories about some of the smallest defensive linemen being some of the best to ever play at huntingdon. We got physically man handled by fairview that year and it was time to go back to huntingdon football and become the most physical team we would be and i think we accomplished it.

If you recall in 2003, we had more depth than probably any 2A team in the state. We had a 1000 yd rusher from the year before that never carried the ball in 2003. Our 2nd team could have started for over half the teams we played that year. We were able to get better in practice each week.

[i still dont understand the time out issue though. I just think that it sends a bad message to the team and to the fans. Some of the things we could have worked on the last three weeks could be really important down the road when it comes to us winning a game. We could have worked on the two minute offense which we have never been that good at or just anything to help us get better. I think it sends a bad message to the team that says its over and it is time to give up. Has anybody else noticed us not using our timeouts at all the last three weeks in the second half?

Let me throw my 2 cents like I told ya'll Friday night. Milan runs the ball and gains two yards. Now 2nd down and 8 and you use a timeout. Milan runs the ball again and gains 4. Timeout and now it's 3rd and 4 with only one TO left. Milan runs the ball again and gets a first or even if they don't get a first you still have 4th and short yardage and now you have no TO's left and we're still down two scores. I've seen it dozens of times when a team uses up their TO's and then the other team gets a 1st down. You've "wasted" those timeouts..

Use up your TO's and you have maybe 3 minutes left and still down two scores after Morris kicks it deep and you get the ball back on the 20 with no TO's. Crocker gets sacked and then what. It's easy to Coach in the stands and I do it myself. Don't you think Mike thought this out, or he gave up as you say? Don't you think if we were down 1 score he would have called TO? I do..

RCombs.... Since when is playing Camden and Westview back to back brutal as you say. You beat Huntingdon on a blocked punt and win for the 10th time in 62 games and now the Lions are awesome. "One year doesn't a good program make". Heck man, Memphis Mitchell went to the BCBS one year... You have a good team but I don't see you beating Goodpasture to play anybody from 7-AA do you? That's after you have beaten Lewis County in the 2nd round..... Maybe this is your year... :thumb: Good luck to ya'll.

If you recall in 2003, we had more depth than probably any 2A team in the state. We had a 1000 yd rusher from the year before that never carried the ball in 2003. Our 2nd team could have started for over half the teams we played that year. We were able to get better in practice each week.

The 2003 team was a result of great athletes playing within their offensive and defensive schemes. They didn't panic on either side of the ball, they just did what they did. Remember them getting manhandled by Milan week 7? They were strictly in the I up to that point, even had big Hillsman at FB. Then they went back to the wingt mixing it up with the I and whammo......Its all about making adjustments to best suit your athletes, regardless of what time it is in the season.Its never over as long as you have a chance. I expect we'll make those adjustments.

We did it in 04. Finished the season 6-4 and thanks to the mustangs we were one play from going to the buro.

What does Huntingdon have coming up the next couple of years with the underclassmen and middle school kids

the picture at the bottom of your posts is a hit put on cole mcadams......almost broke 2 ribs.....jus bruised tho....more injuries...bleh :thumb:

Let me throw my 2 cents like I told ya'll Friday night. Milan runs the ball and gains two yards. Now 2nd down and 8 and you use a timeout. Milan runs the ball again and gains 4. Timeout and now it's 3rd and 4 with only one TO left. Milan runs the ball again and gets a first or even if they don't get a first you still have 4th and short yardage and now you have no TO's left and we're still down two scores. I've seen it dozens of times when a team uses up their TO's and then the other team gets a 1st down. You've "wasted" those timeouts..

Use up your TO's and you have maybe 3 minutes left and still down two scores after Morris kicks it deep and you get the ball back on the 20 with no TO's. Crocker gets sacked and then what. It's easy to Coach in the stands and I do it myself. Don't you think Mike thought this out, or he gave up as you say? Don't you think if we were down 1 score he would have called TO? I do..

RCombs.... Since when is playing Camden and Westview back to back brutal as you say. You beat Huntingdon on a blocked punt and win for the 10th time in 62 games and now the Lions are awesome. "One year doesn't a good program make". Heck man, Memphis Mitchell went to the BCBS one year... You have a good team but I don't see you beating Goodpasture to play anybody from 7-AA do you? That's after you have beaten Lewis County in the 2nd round..... Maybe this is your year... ;) Good luck to ya'll.

If you use the time outs and they get the first down then its over, but if you dont use those timeouts then it is over anyways bc your down 14 with 1 minute left. And even if we didnt want to use our timeouts after we stopped them on first and second down, after you stop them on third down then why not use one? At the point right we are right now i think anything is worth trying. I mean you really have nothing to lose. Your down by 14, with a minute and 30, your not supposed to win, but if you happen to its a great comeback. If you watched the oregon Oklahoma game the same thing happened in that game. They were down by 14 with 3 minutes, forced a punt, scored, got an on side kick and scored and ended up winning the game ( with some bull crap calls i will add). But i just dont understand why you wouldnt use any of your time outs. Maybe not on first or second but after you stop them on third you have to use 1 in my opinion.

Edited by Titans02