Karns and Science Hill

crystal5puppy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching Karns get blown out by DB last week, I doubt SH will have much trouble. The Hill better get thier victories in now b/c we know who is waiting for them to end the regular season.

It is amazing how many people...including the SH coach seem to "write-off" that final game. SH has a great deal of talent. Team chemistry has been weak at best, but if they can somehow "pull it together" as a team for one night it really could be interesting. Their record to date is about the worst it could be given their skills. Anyone looking past them could get into trouble. That said, Graham Clark has never failed to have his team ready for SH, and I don't expect it this time, but if SH truly plays to their capability, and the coaches get rid of the "run first" (or run only) philosophy (which there are hints might happen), it could be quite interesting. Sometimes you set up the run with the pass. Last week the cougars put 8-9 in the box....and even 11 at some times....SH promptly ran right at it! When that happens you do tend to struggle until you "break one" (or hopefully 2 or 3) which is what happened. That being said, it will be difficult to do that the next two weeks. The timing of the plays seems to be a bit off. Blocks are made while the play is still developing in the backfield. There were some hints that this may be coming around a bit last week. It is all about when you "gel". The chemistry thing is the largest concern from where I sit. This team HAS to believe in itself!

I don't think Karns will win this game either, but I'm still not sure why the Beavers can't put together a decent football team. When was the last time this team had a winning record? They've only made the playoffs 3 times (all in the last 10 years, each time with a losing record) and they lost each of their 1st round games. I lived in Knoxville as a kid, and recently moved back here, and I don't understand how a school with the location and enrollment of Karns could be so inept when it comes to playing football. The news doesn't get any better, since Hardin Valley HS will be taking students away from Karns. Even if Karns was playing 4A football, I just don't think there would be a change in the success of this program, since they would be playing in region 3. I guess I'm just confused more than anything else. Good luck to both Karns and Science Hill this week.

Edited by osunut2

Good post Osunut. I think it may come down to the park feeder system and the quality of coaching and talent pool available in the youth system. I remember Brian Sommer playing on many Karns teams in the rec then moving on to Alcoa.

Tradition may be another hurdle if you havent anything to hang your hat on in the past it may not bode well for the future in a program. Karns main team program seems to be in Baseball.

It is amazing how many people...including the SH coach seem to "write-off" that final game. SH has a great deal of talent. Team chemistry has been weak at best, but if they can somehow "pull it together" as a team for one night it really could be interesting. Their record to date is about the worst it could be given their skills. Anyone looking past them could get into trouble. That said, Graham Clark has never failed to have his team ready for SH, and I don't expect it this time, but if SH truly plays to their capability, and the coaches get rid of the "run first" (or run only) philosophy (which there are hints might happen), it could be quite interesting. Sometimes you set up the run with the pass. Last week the cougars put 8-9 in the box....and even 11 at some times....SH promptly ran right at it! When that happens you do tend to struggle until you "break one" (or hopefully 2 or 3) which is what happened. That being said, it will be difficult to do that the next two weeks. The timing of the plays seems to be a bit off. Blocks are made while the play is still developing in the backfield. There were some hints that this may be coming around a bit last week. It is all about when you "gel". The chemistry thing is the largest concern from where I sit. This team HAS to believe in itself!

Good post . . . I agree! Timing, chemistry and play calling seem to be amiss. It is my hope that D-B comes to JC over confident, because this Science Hill team IS CAPABLE of upsetting D-B. I know my son is very confident that he and his teammates will give D-B a fit.

I don't think Karns will win this game either, but I'm still not sure why the Beavers can't put together a decent football team. When was the last time this team had a winning record? They've only made the playoffs 3 times (all in the last 10 years, each time with a losing record) and they lost each of their 1st round games. I lived in Knoxville as a kid, and recently moved back here, and I don't understand how a school with the location and enrollment of Karns could be so inept when it comes to playing football. The news doesn't get any better, since Hardin Valley HS will be taking students away from Karns. Even if Karns was playing 4A football, I just don't think there would be a change in the success of this program, since they would be playing in region 3. I guess I'm just confused more than anything else. Good luck to both Karns and Science Hill this week.

Good post osunut2. Fair question but there are no easy answers. My son started for 3 years at Karns. His sophmore year (the last year under Kesselring) the team went 1-9. Fulkerson came in and the next 2 years the team went 4-6 with the team making the playoffs in his senior year. Both of the teams in his junior and senior year were competitive, solid football teams with a fair amount of talent. Couple of breaks here and there and they could of been over .500. Those teams had some nice wins over traditional power programs (DB, Jefferson County, Sevier County, Science Hill, Powell). When a program is on the bottom, it takes a tremendous amount of energy, dedication, and patience to turn things around. You cannot build tradition and sustained success over a few years. Karns does not have a middle school program and that is a negative. Hopefully, the coaching staff can remain intact and some stability and continuity will pay dividends for the program.