How Does DeKalb Change?

all4football

The change starts with everyone including fans, coaches and the team and parents. Nothing worse than blaming everyone for losing a game pass it on to poor coaching or it was his fault things like that. Some may disagree but I think alot of times the team feeds off the fans and when you see the fans screaming and shouting no matter what good or bad up there in the stands that is that extra push when they feel there is nothing left to push. Also nothing worse than when the team has lost the game everyone starts leaving in the stands and that makes me mad when that happens. I hate to lose can't stand it but no matter how bad I hate to lose our guys feel alot worse than we do in the stands and nothing worse than watching them look up at people leaving. I have saw their faces when that happens and you can just see their entire expression change from the let down that they know they have lost the game to feeling even worse watchin the fans leave. If people are expecting you to lose and you get beat down week after week you start going into that mentality that there is no hope. I'll take a team any day with alot of heart over a team with no losses.

We have those fans that leave when that happens and heck there have been times I wanted to leave also cause our guys didn't play worth a dime and they just plain quit but still gotta support them and let them know no matter what your still their fan and still there good or bad. Just like this past Friday with SC people sitting up there saying this is gonna be bad they will not even score and they will blow us outta the water. I got so mad and said no not gonna happen. Some decided to leave when the score was 16 to 7 or whatever it was and I was like where you going and they said it is over with. I knew it wasn't over and sure enough we scored again and almost won. All comes down to heart in the end I think of course skill yes plays a part a big part but at the same time when that heart steps in something takes over and that is when you see changes. :rolleyes:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments are in response toDCHSTIGERS posts #'s 3 &7 under, "How does DeKalb change." I'm amused at your comments concerning the players...ie, "lack of heart...poor blocking...they don't make tackles, etc., etc.! Your pathetic attempt to shift the blame for their poor performance record (1-6) to the players indicates to me, "you have LITTLE or NO knowledge concerning what it takes to build a winning high school football program!"

It STARTS and ENDS with theCOACH!!! The current head coach has worked hard on the physical developement of the playersand, it shows, contrary to you comments, at game time. Unfortunately, the coach has not done a good job in the following areas: Player skills developement...proper use of available talent...game planning...play calling during games and worst of all, the ability to communicate with his players!

This team goes into its 8th and final home game of the season at 1-6. Frankly, knowledgeable people felt this team had sufficient talent to have achieved a minimum record of 3-4 going into the White House Game. Thelosses to Watertown ,and yes, the home coming game to Upperman can be laid directly at the feet of the coach! The reasons, poor play selection and weak choices of selected players in key positions!

This team has the talent, if properly used, to still salvage what is at best a dissatisfying season by winning at least 2 of their remaining 3 games. Unfortunately, unless the coach will, "look into the mirror" and acknowledge and correct his errors by supporting and using the the players with the talent and experience to make the team reasonably competitive, we will turn the remaing 3-0 season into 0-3!

Now, DCHSTIGER, "take your best shot at my commrnts but remember it's up to the coach to "make thingshappen in a positive way during the balance of the season." Can he and his staff do it?? I'd like to think he Can and WILL do it!

By the way, a recent comment on Coach T concerning "Bear Bryant's" view of the coach's responsibility says it best! I hope you read it and, more importantly, understand it!

My comments are in response toDCHSTIGERS posts #'s 3 &7 under, "How does DeKalb change." I'm amused at your comments concerning the players...ie, "lack of heart...poor blocking...they don't make tackles, etc., etc.! Your pathetic attempt to shift the blame for their poor performance record (1-6) to the players indicates to me, "you have LITTLE or NO knowledge concerning what it takes to build a winning high school football program!"

It STARTS and ENDS with theCOACH!!! The current head coach has worked hard on the physical developement of the playersand, it shows, contrary to you comments, at game time. Unfortunately, the coach has not done a good job in the following areas: Player skills developement...proper use of available talent...game planning...play calling during games and worst of all, the ability to communicate with his players!

This team goes into its 8th and final home game of the season at 1-6. Frankly, knowledgeable people felt this team had sufficient talent to have achieved a minimum record of 3-4 going into the White House Game. Thelosses to Watertown ,and yes, the home coming game to Upperman can be laid directly at the feet of the coach! The reasons, poor play selection and weak choices of selected players in key positions!

This team has the talent, if properly used, to still salvage what is at best a dissatisfying season by winning at least 2 of their remaining 3 games. Unfortunately, unless the coach will, "look into the mirror" and acknowledge and correct his errors by supporting and using the the players with the talent and experience to make the team reasonably competitive, we will turn the remaing 3-0 season into 0-3!

Now, DCHSTIGER, "take your best shot at my commrnts but remember it's up to the coach to "make thingshappen in a positive way during the balance of the season." Can he and his staff do it?? I'd like to think he Can and WILL do it!

By the way, a recent comment on Coach T concerning "Bear Bryant's" view of the coach's responsibility says it best! I hope you read it and, more importantly, understand it!

The best thing he could do now is run off the players who are unhappy and start over. Worked at Smith Co.... can work in DeKalb too.

Fan

I've read some of the messages on this board, and normally I don't like getting involved on these message boards. Everyone has their opinion, and usually, folks end up getting into arguments with one another, because they believe so strongly in their own opinion.

I'm no expert... I will never claim to be... but I've watched DeKalb County football for the better part of the last 14 years. I've seen the talent here go up and down, and I've seen this program struggle mightily since Tennessee went to the five-region format. Change is change, and every program has to deal with it. I liken DeKalb to Macon County in that situation. A very similar rural school, similar in size, which has made it work, going up against traditional football powers.

DeKalb County can do it also; I believe big steps have already been taken in that direction. Those who watched the games last season, and have watched them this season, know this team is much better. Don't necessarily look at wins, but look at the intangibles. The attitudes are better, their overall strength is better, and some young talent with potential has shown what they're very soon going to be capable of. It's sad that this year's seniors, a truly good group of kids, won't be here next year and the year after, when this team has a shot to be a playoff contender. I hope they can someday look back and be proud to know they were a big part of the foundation of the Tiger turnaround.

Coach Trapp is a young guy; we all knew that when he came in. The more I've been around him and talked to him, the more I'm convinced he's going in the right direction. If he's unsure of what he needs to do, he finds out. This guy is a hard worker, and one thing is for certain - he loves DeKalb County football. That's important for this program. Coach Trapp isn't a know-it-all, but he is a tireless worker and learner. He will have to continue grow, as a coach, with this program, but I know he will, if given the chance.

What fans have to have is patience and understanding. Politics and griping around here have done more to ruin, not just football, but the entire athletic landscape. The attitude needs to be positive toward "team" and not negative when "my son" isn't in the starting line-up every week. It seems to be better this year, but in years past, that has been a problem. Give the coach some room; he must make decisions, whether fans think they're right or wrong. That's what the man is hired to do. Coach this football team. He has my full support. I think he's already done a good job, and with the diligence he approaches his job with, things will only get better if those around the program will allow it.

Tom R. Duggin

Sports Editor

Smithville Review

I've read some of the messages on this board, and normally I don't like getting involved on these message boards. Everyone has their opinion, and usually, folks end up getting into arguments with one another, because they believe so strongly in their own opinion.

I'm no expert... I will never claim to be... but I've watched DeKalb County football for the better part of the last 14 years. I've seen the talent here go up and down, and I've seen this program struggle mightily since Tennessee went to the five-region format. Change is change, and every program has to deal with it. I liken DeKalb to Macon County in that situation. A very similar rural school, similar in size, which has made it work, going up against traditional football powers.

DeKalb County can do it also; I believe big steps have already been taken in that direction. Those who watched the games last season, and have watched them this season, know this team is much better. Don't necessarily look at wins, but look at the intangibles. The attitudes are better, their overall strength is better, and some young talent with potential has shown what they're very soon going to be capable of. It's sad that this year's seniors, a truly good group of kids, won't be here next year and the year after, when this team has a shot to be a playoff contender. I hope they can someday look back and be proud to know they were a big part of the foundation of the Tiger turnaround.

Coach Trapp is a young guy; we all knew that when he came in. The more I've been around him and talked to him, the more I'm convinced he's going in the right direction. If he's unsure of what he needs to do, he finds out. This guy is a hard worker, and one thing is for certain - he loves DeKalb County football. That's important for this program. Coach Trapp isn't a know-it-all, but he is a tireless worker and learner. He will have to continue grow, as a coach, with this program, but I know he will, if given the chance.

What fans have to have is patience and understanding. Politics and griping around here have done more to ruin, not just football, but the entire athletic landscape. The attitude needs to be positive toward "team" and not negative when "my son" isn't in the starting line-up every week. It seems to be better this year, but in years past, that has been a problem. Give the coach some room; he must make decisions, whether fans think they're right or wrong. That's what the man is hired to do. Coach this football team. He has my full support. I think he's already done a good job, and with the diligence he approaches his job with, things will only get better if those around the program will allow it.

Tom R. Duggin

Sports Editor

Smithville Review

He has already won more games in his first year than the Coach who started Smith Co. in the right direction in the 80's. Who was the Coach? Gary Rankin. Just think if Smith had fired him after one year!!

Fan(why would DeKalb fans be so impatient?)

Edited by fanman

I do have a child on the team and I am a concerned parent when my kid comes home after a game with his head hung down. When I ask him if the loss hurts that much, his reply was, losing always hurts when you put so much into something but he's tired of all the negativity by the coaches in the locker room. It doesn't matter if you make ten good plays, the only play that is pointed out in the locker room by the coaches is the bad one. This does upset me when a grown man (a teacher, an educated person who's main job is to prepare young adults for their future) does nothing but make the the kids feel like crap. This is high school days and it's suppose to be something our children can reflect back on in a positive way.

What do I think needs to happen? The coach is not doing a good job and should be replaced. Yea, he's young ( but we can't give him aging pills), he's inexperienced ( nothing a few years as an assistant at a middle or high school couldn't teach). No one's questioning his heart, just his ability. Should an upperclassman automatically get the start? NO, but if he is presently better than the player with potential then he should definately get the playing time and the player with POTENTIAL will become capable through hard practice and some (I repeat, SOME) playing time I think this is what JV is for. Put the kids in that have earned and deserve the right to play today and quit thinking two and three years down the road. Just because a man is willing to wash and sort the uniforms for the coach and replace facemask and chinstraps when the helmets need them doesn't make that person's son an allstar. And before you start blaming my comments on the fact my kid isn't starting, my kid is a starter.

Steve Trapp has ony been the head coach for not even two full seasons, and already fans are wanting him fired, demoted, or whatever.

How many years was Wayne Cantrell allowed to hang around after several losing seasons. Gimme a break!!!!!

It's all the fans fault that they are so upset.

Let me explain.

A year or two before Steve got the head coaching job people were saying that they wished he would get out of school so he could coach.

When he got the job, everyone had such high expectations that they were let down after an 0-10 season and so far a 1-6 season.

I guess they didn't realize it would take a couple of years to get Cantrell out of the players' systems.

Coach Trapp doesn't need to change anything he's doing right now.

If he keeps it up, good things will happen next year, and the year after, and the year after, and so on, and so on.

The fans also need to realize what region Dekalb is in.

Only in the last few years have Dekalb regularly competed against teams the caliber of Pearl-Cohn, Greenbrier, White House, and so on.

To bring a program like this one out of the gutter takes time. Be Patient.

Good things will happen.

I do have a child on the team and I am a concerned parent when my kid comes home after a game with his head hung down. When I ask him if the loss hurts that much, his reply was, losing always hurts when you put so much into something but he's tired of all the negativity by the coaches in the locker room. It doesn't matter if you make ten good plays, the only play that is pointed out in the locker room by the coaches is the bad one. This does upset me when a grown man (a teacher, an educated person who's main job is to prepare young adults for their future) does nothing but make the the kids feel like crap. This is high school days and it's suppose to be something our children can reflect back on in a positive way.

What do I think needs to happen? The coach is not doing a good job and should be replaced. Yea, he's young ( but we can't give him aging pills), he's inexperienced ( nothing a few years as an assistant at a middle or high school couldn't teach). No one's questioning his heart, just his ability. Should an upperclassman automatically get the start? NO, but if he is presently better than the player with potential then he should definately get the playing time and the player with POTENTIAL will become capable through hard practice and some (I repeat, SOME) playing time I think this is what JV is for. Put the kids in that have earned and deserve the right to play today and quit thinking two and three years down the road. Just because a man is willing to wash and sort the uniforms for the coach and replace facemask and chinstraps when the helmets need them doesn't make that person's son an allstar. And before you start blaming my comments on the fact my kid isn't starting, my kid is a starter.

You show me a coach who is easy on his kids when they do things wrong and I'll show you a coach who doesn't win many football games.

When I ask him if the loss hurts that much, his reply was, losing always hurts when you put so much into something but he's tired of all the negativity by the coaches in the locker room. It doesn't matter if you make ten good plays, the only play that is pointed out in the locker room by the coaches is the bad one. This does upset me when a grown man (a teacher, an educated person who's main job is to prepare young adults for their future) does nothing but make the the kids feel like crap.

Attention world: Go into the locker room of a winning program and the kid will be reminding the coach of the bad play, and will have already forgotten his 10 successes. Therein lies the difference. Then you will realize your son has become the educated grown man and owes it all to the person who brought him there.

Glad to see someone read my post. I never said that things done wrong should not be pointed out and harped on. What I said was there's more to the game than just the bad plays and you use the good plays to build on. And that is what's not happening. You tell anyone they stink long enough and they will believe you and live up to your espectations of them. I never seen morale built on negativism and if the morale is down then the play too will be down.