McMinn Cherokees

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx JBN. Everytime they show his picture during a game, it had Decatur next to hometown.

So, I gather that they aren't heartbroken she left?

Nope I would say not. I don't know why they have Decatur as his hometown other than the fact that is where he lived when he signed. Looks like he would get that changed on the UT roster. Sure bet the Athens folks wishes that he would.

Why would Calhoun kids drive all the way across the county to attend Central when McMinn is right there in their back door? Something is out of whack. The same can be said for Riceville. How many Riceville alumni are now playing at Central? Bottom line is - AAU basketball is killing local school pride everywhere.

I do not believe that AAU ball is killing school pride at all. Parents make the decisions to take their Children were they might feel safer and think that they might get a better Education. Remember, McMInn has nearly 1600 kids in that school. Central has under 800 kids. I prefer a school with less kids then I do with a high number of kids. AAU ball isn't hurting schools, I believe it helps schools that will open their doors to them. If you shut them out then yes it will hurt because the coach is basically saying no to opening the gym.

I do not believe that AAU ball is killing school pride at all. Parents make the decisions to take their Children were they might feel safer and think that they might get a better Education. Remember, McMInn has nearly 1600 kids in that school. Central has under 800 kids. I prefer a school with less kids then I do with a high number of kids. AAU ball isn't hurting schools, I believe it helps schools that will open their doors to them. If you shut them out then yes it will hurt because the coach is basically saying no to opening the gym.

You are right that parents make decisions but, I am not convinced that those decisions are based solely on education. My question now, how many students that are non athletes go to schools other than the one in their area? If I were placing a bet, my money would be on more athletes over non athletes move to other schools. As for placing blame on AAU, I don't think so. I think the blame lies within the home, the loyalty parents (and/or students) have to their local school, and whats more important to both parent and student......athletics or schools.

You are right that parents make decisions but, I am not convinced that those decisions are based solely on education. My question now, how many students that are non athletes go to schools other than the one in their area? If I were placing a bet, my money would be on more athletes over non athletes move to other schools. As for placing blame on AAU, I don't think so. I think the blame lies within the home, the loyalty parents (and/or students) have to their local school, and whats more important to both parent and student......athletics or schools.

Well, I understand your thinking but I do know some people that pay for their children to go to a City school and not to a county School and athletics do not have anything to do with that. I do believe like you do that loyalty plays a part also but to say someone is going to another school just for athletics, well I think you are wrong.McMinn has I think one of the biggest stadiums in the state for basketball. I think it holds 6500 people. That along if people are going just for athetics should appeal to those folks but it isn't. I think you have to find the problem in the program itself, I am not blaming anyone but the program needs to look at itself and see if it is training young players that are in elementary.

My daughter from Calhoun went to Central because of the smaller enrollment and smaller class sizes. The academics are strong at both high schools. All three local b'ball teams had great coaches at the time. Our family based our decision on school size which we felt would make for a successful high school experience. Not everyone is lucky enough to have options, and some make choices that they later regret. Our choice worked out perfectly for our family.

My daughter from Calhoun went to Central because of the smaller enrollment and smaller class sizes. The academics are strong at both high schools. All three local b'ball teams had great coaches at the time. Our family based our decision on school size which we felt would make for a successful high school experience. Not everyone is lucky enough to have options, and some make choices that they later regret. Our choice worked out perfectly for our family.

Glad to here your decision was the right one. Some people just do not get it do they? The world doesn't revolve around athletics only...

:thumb:

Sounds like Central and WV do a fine job of recruiting in the McMinn zone. There are at least 5 feeder schools in the McMinn zone and it seems like in the past 2-3 yrs. all the ones who are serious about playing go elsewhere.

I really do not think that Morgan or Tucker has to go out and recruit. Their record speaks for itself. Two great coaches and two great teachers@!!

:lol:

I really do not think that Morgan or Tucker has to go out and recruit. Their record speaks for itself. Two great coaches and two great teachers@!!

:unsure:

I have known both for a long time. Great coaches, great success, family men, love kids. I agree, quality will go to their programs. I also know that both men have told parents that wanted to leave where they were playing to stay put and not come to them.

The Smith girl was not recruited. From what I understand, she just showed up on WV's doorstep wanting a home.

I have known both for a long time. Great coaches, great success, family men, love kids. I agree, quality will go to their programs. I also know that both men have told parents that wanted to leave where they were playing to stay put and not come to them.

The Smith girl was not recruited. From what I understand, she just showed up on WV's doorstep wanting a home.

You are right with the Smith girl, she left McMinn because of not getting along with the coach. All I have to say about that is if she isn't happy the coach and the family should be happy they aren't around each other. :blink:

WAIT!!!! There's more to schools then athletics??? Ha Ha, just joking.

No one has said it, but I will. There is something wrong, BAD WRONG, with the program at McMinn. I know that the players at Central would walk through walls of fire if C. Morgan or C. Young just pointed at it. And the players at WV hang around C. Tucker all summer and think the world of him. But I don't see or hear that from McMinn players or families. In fact, the families that I know have very little to say good, if anything, about the women's coaches at McMinn.

I feel for the girls that play at McMinn. That is one of the best classes of girls to come thru any school around here in a long time, but they have nothing to show for it. The skill is on the floor, the only other thing that I can think of that needs to be looked at is the coaches. If they want to win, they are going to HAVE to make some changes.

I only get to watch them play twice a year, but last year in one game that I watched, the game was lost by the coach. Pure and simple.