McMinn Cherokees

McMinn travels to Meigs then host Walker Valley Friday night. What a game that will be!!! Our second leading scorer from last year now playing for David Tucker. I am sure girls from both sides are excited about this one. Huge district game for both. Should be a great crowd to support both sides.

wow Sounds like I might need to be at McMinn Friday night/ I still believe McMinn will win. Seems they are playing better without their second leading scorer..Going to be interesting.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to both teams but to black and gold. The 3 girls and their mommas in the stands that are not happy should not voice their opinion in the stands. Maybe they should be asking for a conference with the coach. If the new girl is out playing their daughters, then they are where they are supposed to be and that is on the bench until it is their time. You have to work hard to be a good athlete. Momma's who have problems and don't talk to the coach are really not accomplishing anything because the people in the stands could care less. If they did they would stand behind the mommas and go to the coach with them. B)

Maybe if the coaches for just about all the schools in that area tried to discourage parents and students from thinking the grass is greener, there would be fewer of those type problems. That's not saying a coach should refuse to play someone who's changed schools, but it is saying musical chairs on rosters, either coming out of middle school or from high school to high school, is asking for trouble. It also raises questions on contact of potential transfers, the way I understand it a student must be enrolled before a coach can discuss a sport with a student or parent. I can't see players switching schools before knowing what else will be on a roster, including any other possible transfers.

Maybe if the coaches for just about all the schools in that area tried to discourage parents and students from thinking the grass is greener, there would be fewer of those type problems. That's not saying a coach should refuse to play someone who's changed schools, but it is saying musical chairs on rosters, either coming out of middle school or from high school to high school, is asking for trouble. It also raises questions on contact of potential transfers, the way I understand it a student must be enrolled before a coach can discuss a sport with a student or parent. I can't see players switching schools before knowing what else will be on a roster, including any other possible transfers.

I agree totally with you Indian.......but until T$$AA does something about it, it's only going to get worse. Unless you are a state football power, nothing gets investigated by the T$$AA. A player from our school transferred last year to another school because they were not happy with their playing time in the FIRST game of summer camp. The family didn't move and the T$$AA and the other school were notified, but nothing was done. The other school had a horrible record so I guess the state just didn't care. Until ALL schools are treated as equals (which they should be because all the dues are the same) nothing will change.

I agree with the last two post completely but until something is done at the head, nothing will be done at the tail. Some coaches always have their way of getting the word around to players and you best believe that before they do any transferring or any school switching, the coach has gotten information to and from the player and parents maybe not directly but they know what is going on.

I try to stay out of these "transfer" discussions but I would like to add this. I have had personal experience with the McMinn Central program and have heard both head coaches tell players from other schools not to transfer. I have seen the women's coach not even give a transfer player a look because of her attitude. This girl would have been the most athletic basketball player East Tennessee has ever seen. Coach Morgan puts and will always put dignity in front of winning. He is the only coach I have ever known who actually puts winning behind developing young adults. I don't know that the same can be said of other coaches in other programs. But I have heard the phone calls, and I have heard the statement, more than once, "If you want my advice, you should just stay where your at. You will appreciate more if you end your career where you started." How many other coaches would say that? I don't know if I would. We could all learn a lot from Coach Morgan.

The McMinn Central coach obviously knows what he is doing, and seems like a good person as well. This wasn't on any particular coach, but there seems to be too much much shuffling from the middle schools, and from high school to high school, at the programs in Bradley and McMinn (and from Polk). Didn't a top level player go from Cleveland to Bradley for her senior year a couple of years ago (or the other way around). Those types of things can only cause problems, and like I said, there isn't supposed to be any pre-enrollment contact anyway.

The McMinn Central coach obviously knows what he is doing, and seems like a good person as well. This wasn't on any particular coach, but there seems to be too much much shuffling from the middle schools, and from high school to high school, at the programs in Bradley and McMinn (and from Polk). Didn't a top level player go from Cleveland to Bradley for her senior year a couple of years ago (or the other way around). Those types of things can only cause problems, and like I said, there isn't supposed to be any pre-enrollment contact anyway.

Yes, a girl from McMinn practiced in the summer with McMinn, dad did not like what he saw and sent her to Cleveland. Then again changed her the last year to Bradley. Cleveland this year has one of the area's best freshman that arrived from Polk County much like the Rogers' girls did a few years ago. The Cleveland girl that just signed with an SEC school lived in Charleston and was expected at Walker Valley. Walker Valley just accepted a McMinn girl. And around and around it goes.

Not just basketball though, a lot of our soccer players come from other areas that want to come here. I am sure it is football and baseball too.