Wilson Central Transfers

greenevillefan

I did not mean to imply that Wilson Central recruited these girls. I have absolutely no reason to believe that they were recruited.

My point was that Kakeleg Jake posted "Kids today want to gravitate towards winners....can't blame em for that." However I will guarantee you if they had transferred to a private school, someone LOTS OF PEOPLE would be screaming that they were recruited.

Perception. That's my point.

:):thumb::thumb: So true!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this question does not apply to this situation and continues to come up every year in some part of the State, Where is the rule found about who can contact a player about changing to another school? Its very obvious that no Coaching staff member can do that and would not but how far does the rule go? Would this be something that a third party would have to be careful of or is the rule that specific. It's obvious its the parents final decision as to where the player goes and has to comply with the rules but its also questionable that drastic steps like that would be taken unless there is some inadvertant contact with someone that the players could even play for the transferred school and probably would have to have been ok'ed by TSSAA for the total transaction to have been made. This is not an uncommon event. Players transfer more and more, right or wrong. Where the contact is made and whats squeeky clean is the question? Does it take an agreement by both schools that the transfer can be made or does residency take care of it without that?

I guess there is not an answer to some very difficult questions and additionally there are gray areas and each County school board has a different slant on the rules. What is the difficulty is the TSSAA is the sports arm of the State Educational System and is governed by the schools who are governed by each County School System whose rules seem to not exactly be consistant thru the state but they think they are and allow some variance. Really don't think there is anything wrong with that but it seems sometimes something is wrong but it isn't. Its just within the rules applied. There are certainly some that understand that and may take the policies to its extreme but thats life in every area of life. Schools and school systems are trying to be an advocate for the student. Sports is one of those ways. Looks to me that win/win situations are encouraged and only blatent violations are caught and residence is where the lines are drawn. That gives planning on students attending schools, teacher needs, etc more importance than other things. To the sports fan and fanatic, it sometimes seems to be unfair but it may be where the emphasis is placed.

Lets step back a ways and say there is a group of MS players who for one reason or another wind up at a single MS in a county and they are all very good, so good they set records. All of the parents and supporters say to themselves, " Wonder what would happen if all of these players wound up on the same high school team". Encouragement is given for that to happen and ways to do it. And lets say those players and the team wind up in a prominent school whose emphasis is basketball. The players knew the school and very likely knew what it would take to play there in the beginning. But as happens, for any number of reasons, things blew up and some could not accept the rules. In the meantime, here comes another HS making their mark and the players and parents say, "lets wrk within the rules and transfer to the other school". Nothing wrong with that. its within the rules.

What is of note is that all of this was encouraged back some time ago and encouraged to help the sports program. What is also evident is that these players enhanced their abilities with AAU. Nothing wrong with that. What now is at stake is whose loyalty do these players have to what organization. They have been given a lot of opportunities and considerations thru the school system and now have some opportunities with AAU. Both are good but there had to have been some malcontent with having that many good players on one school team. Nothing wrong with that.

School systems may need to learn from this situations and get the best out of what has happened and realize everyone may not be happy. It seems really not to bother them and only to bother partisons but I may be wrong. Lets play ball.

"Lets step back a ways and say there is a group of MS players who for one reason or another wind up at a single MS in a county and they are all very good, so good they set records. All of the parents and supporters say to themselves, " Wonder what would happen if all of these players wound up on the same high school team". Encouragement is given for that to happen and ways to do it. And lets say those players and the team wind up in a prominent school whose emphasis is basketball. The players knew the school and very likely knew what it would take to play there in the beginning. But as happens, for any number of reasons, things blew up and some could not accept the rules."

Being close to these families, this is not the case in this story. These girls had tons of respect for the program and coaching staff. They were proud to play for the program and accepted everything that was dished out. They would still be there if things were handled maturely.

"What now is at stake is whose loyalty do these players have to what organization."

Why can't players have allegiance to both? After all, there is a high school and an AAU season and no one deliberately schedules conflicts. Besides that, it wasn't even a game conflict; it was a bus ride conflict. Yes, it was June and high school time, but the girl's AAU championship game schedule eased into the month, June 2nd. Let's take this to the other extreme......let's say that then it is AAU season in April, and the girls miss a Friday night off season spring conditioning to go to a prominent AAU college coaches showcase.....they are punished with extra workouts. So it is not about the players not being able to accept the rules; the rules were changed by the prominent school to fit their agenda. Giving no regard to the fact that it was AAU season and the players have to make decisions with their parents.

"Both are good but there had to have been some malcontent with having that many good players on one school team. Nothing wrong with that."

I tend to disagree that there was malcontent among the two transfers, following this high school's program and watching these girls many years. One girl in question started and one girl was the first off the bench in many situations. They looked like they had bright futures in this program.

There was no malcontent in this case at all, some things happened, snowballed, and this is the result of that. What I find interesting, is not why, not wanting to get in a blame game, but how it affects the two programs. The chemistry at Wilson Cental, and how Mt. Juliet fills the void. The knock on Wilson Central last year was the guard play, of course I think they answered that by winning a state championship, now they have depth there. These two players are vey good, having watched them since they were in grade school, and no doubt, WC got some great players. How will they blend in with the players already on the WC roster. For sure this will create competition, and of course tough choices for the coach. Coaches love those type of problems! Mt. Juliet has to fill the void of those two players plus the seniors they lost. Mt. Juliet still has some very good players, and they keep bringing them up through the MS. I think it will be interesting to see how that plays out, and no doubt, who doesn't want to see that matchup when it happens? the game, I think will be Jan. 12th or close to that, and I am sure there will be quite the buildup for that game.

Edited by worden55

There was no malcontent in this case at all, some things happened, snowballed, and this is the result of that. What I find interesting, is not why, not wanting to get in a blame game, but how it affects the two programs. The chemistry at Wilson Cental, and how Mt. Juliet fills the void. The knock on Wilson Central last year was the guard play, of course I think they answered that by winning a state championship, now they have depth there. These two players are vey good, having watched them since they were in grade school, and no doubt, WC got some great players. How will they blend in with the players already on the WC roster. For sure this will create competition, and of course tough choices for the coach. Coaches love those type of problems! Mt. Juliet has to fill the void of those two players plus the seniors they lost. Mt. Juliet still has some very good players, and they keep bringing them up through the MS. I think it will be interesting to see how that plays out, and no doubt, who doesn't want to see that matchup when it happens? the game, I think will be Jan. 12th or close to that, and I am sure there will be quite the buildup for that game.

Wordon, this is a great post and everything you have said, in my opin ion, hits the spot. As you realize, Mj had too many good players last year and from the posts on here, there was always a controversy. Now here is WC in the same position. Again this is the best district in the State and some of the best players. Play Ball.

BB, these are two great players from two very fine families who I have followed for some years and respect from afar. If this is just a bus conflict issue, this is another Good and Bad part of the sports scene and not worth the time to even talk about because the parents involved got in to a situation that very likely they wish had not happened. Forget it and play ball.

True enough - to be settled on the court. MJ had an incredible richness in Guard play coming into this year...and they kept the two fastest on the dribble (and with the best defense I might add!)

Watch for Coach Fryer and his staff to game plan WC's "legendary" coaches (Mailman you just kill me with this stuff) into a chemistry lesson they are likely to not enjoy!

Go Bears! :thumb:

Just what we needed to spice up the rivalry between Mt Juliet and Wilson Central. As if we needed any more contraversity.

Jan. 12 Wilson Central comes to the Cave

Feb. 6 Mt. Juliet journeys to the Glade.

In the past you had to get to the gym almost 2 hours before the game started to get a decent seat. Looks like more of the same.

I do feel that AAU does create problems for the High School programs and something should be done by the TSSAA to stop it.

I did not mean to imply that Wilson Central recruited these girls. I have absolutely no reason to believe that they were recruited.

My point was that Kakeleg Jake posted "Kids today want to gravitate towards winners....can't blame em for that." However I will guarantee you if they had transferred to a private school, someone would be screaming that they were recruited.

:D:D

BB, these are two great players from two very fine families who I have followed for some years and respect from afar. If this is just a bus conflict issue, this is another Good and Bad part of the sports scene and not worth the time to even talk about because the parents involved got in to a situation that very likely they wish had not happened. Forget it and play ball.

Oh well, I will not waste any more time posting on this subject, because everyone on this board is definately not "getting it." Good grief, 5 pages of posts and the last few keep talking about reasons that are not even close to the root of the reason, so someone please start another topic.

My point was that Kakeleg Jake posted "Kids today want to gravitate towards winners....can't blame em for that." However I will guarantee you if they had transferred to a private school, someone would be screaming that they were recruited.

:thumb::oB)