Wilson Central Transfers

greenevillefan

OK, this is way off the original topic, and maybe it ought to be it's own thread, but....

If all you have are 4 classes a day, Basketball practice should NEVER be an option for the 4th class.

If you are interested in going to college, you should be using your class schedule to get prepared for college. Or do some other "activity class", like Annual Staff, but NOT a sport practice.

My Opinion.

In Wilson County, I know for a fact they have a block schedule, and their students take 8 classes in a year instead of 6 like most places because of their schedule. The reason they have 4 is because they 4 classes for 1 1/2 hours each day. So actually these students get more class time than students in a school on a traditional 6 period class schedule. I am not saying you should practice during school, but it should be the same in all schools within the state, or even a county, but most importantly within the TSSAA. But drawing the line to say band and choir, or even newspaper can have a class period, and basketball cannot, makes for a difficult discussion. But I agree the school day should focus on academics.

I do say it was sad that specific coaches and their programs were bashed without all the information.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated before, I didn't bash the coaching staffs at either school. I made general comments about schools getting players to come to their school. I have no idea what's going on with MJ and WC. My other statements were based on someone implying that AAU should come before high school since AAU is for getting the girls to college. As if high school can't or won't do it.

I really don't see why its okay for classes such as band, drama, and newspaper to have a period but not basketball. At our school any girl can be in fourth period basketball. There are like 34 girls in the class and 6 don't play at all. The kids just run and weightlift and that kind of stuff. The football team also has a fourth period in which they do much of the same thing and no one questions it so why do the question the girls doing it? plus its not all year just in the fall.

OK, this is way off the original topic, and maybe it ought to be it's own thread, but....

If all you have are 4 classes a day, Basketball practice should NEVER be an option for the 4th class.

If you are interested in going to college, you should be using your class schedule to get prepared for college. Or do some other "activity class", like Annual Staff, but NOT a sport practice.

My Opinion.

As far as the other, if they transferred under the rules, then why they transferred is their own business. As far as teaching lessons, maybe the lesson the parents are teaching the girl is that I will stand up for you, if I can make it happen. Honestly, most families can't or won't be able to make the move these two families have evidently made.

2 years from now, these girls are going to be in college, hopefully looking back on an enjoyable finish to their high school experience. Good luck to them.

sorry, i didn't mean to change the subject but now i understand, you're saying that they shouldn't practice during school time. not just 4th block, but no block at all. sorry, i misunderstood!

Edited by bballfan03

hold the bus! i agree hs ball should come first!!!!

butttttttt the guys post your attacking is one of the classier coaches in aau!

hes trying to put together a team for next year and im sure this is just a tryout situation and will not be an ongoing season practice

alan hale and the trotters(ran by jeff kyle) are one of the organzations that do things the right way and keep the girls at heart.

its definately not about money with them

and im an oppposing aau coach! im not with the trotter organization!

i know you just randomly took a post for an example but be careful who you lump into that evil empire section of aau basketball!

doing this for money????.....boy have you got the wrong guy..LOL anyway the beauty of threads like coach T is that it gives people a voice in a subject that we are obviously passionate about. That said some of you folks are just playing a blame game for what ever personal reasons (who knows). The reason that my TRYOUT post was singled out is because it was honest and straight-forward in its content.

It says tryouts....not playday nor open gym....nor does it imply that practice or the scheduling of will take place.....it is simply a tryout and meet and greet.....timed appropriatly between school volleyball and basketball.

We do not start until after school ball is complete and I might add....have been blessed to have school coaches that we are able to work with. Teamwork in action with the kids best interest in mind. Which is what should take place when Egos are put aside. Actually thank you for singling out my post otherwise it was not allowed on the high school thread.. ;) All you folks get your hearts right and pray about it because depending on which side of the isle your on you can find truth on both sides...man at the possibilities if we tore this fence down of school ball/aau good/evil and work together for the kids ....well surely you see where i'm going.

doing this for money????.....boy have you got the wrong guy..LOL anyway the beauty of threads like coach T is that it gives people a voice in a subject that we are obviously passionate about. That said some of you folks are just playing a blame game for what ever personal reasons (who knows). The reason that my TRYOUT post was singled out is because it was honest and straight-forward in its content.

It says tryouts....not playday nor open gym....nor does it imply that practice or the scheduling of will take place.....it is simply a tryout and meet and greet.....timed appropriatly between school volleyball and basketball.

We do not start until after school ball is complete and I might add....have been blessed to have school coaches that we are able to work with. Teamwork in action with the kids best interest in mind. Which is what should take place when Egos are put aside. Actually thank you for singling out my post otherwise it was not allowed on the high school thread.. ;) All you folks get your hearts right and pray about it because depending on which side of the isle your on you can find truth on both sides...man at the possibilities if we tore this fence down of school ball/aau good/evil and work together for the kids ....well surely you see where i'm going.

I think there is a place for both, it is when they are in conflict, I think is the debate. What age are your tryouts? :huh:

Edited by Bighurt

I don't know anything about this situation However, there is a double standard. Public school = gravitate towards winners. Private school = recruited.

bighurt, as a high school coach in the private school area, no truer words have been spoken. I've fought against this attitude for years and your one sentence says it all. I've been around high school girls basketball in this area for 20 years, coached serious AAU, and coached college for 10 years. Basically, all schools have had these transfers in all sports at one time or another. As far as college recruitment goes, we signed many a player that didn't play aau, but that experience does help the development of the player. Basically, if a kid can play they'll find you. Also 95% of kids don't play in college unless it's juco or small college. The Alysha Clark's and Tierney Jenkins' don't come along too often.

Again no one has been recruited to Wilson Central by any member of the coaching staff

While this question does not apply to this situation and continues to come up every year in some part of the State, Where is the rule found about who can contact a player about changing to another school? Its very obvious that no Coaching staff member can do that and would not but how far does the rule go? Would this be something that a third party would have to be careful of or is the rule that specific. It's obvious its the parents final decision as to where the player goes and has to comply with the rules but its also questionable that drastic steps like that would be taken unless there is some inadvertant contact with someone that the players could even play for the transferred school and probably would have to have been ok'ed by TSSAA for the total transaction to have been made. This is not an uncommon event. Players transfer more and more, right or wrong. Where the contact is made and whats squeeky clean is the question? Does it take an agreement by both schools that the transfer can be made or does residency take care of it without that?

While this question does not apply to this situation and continues to come up every year in some part of the State, Where is the rule found about who can contact a player about changing to another school? Its very obvious that no Coaching staff member can do that and would not but how far does the rule go? Would this be something that a third party would have to be careful of or is the rule that specific. It's obvious its the parents final decision as to where the player goes and has to comply with the rules but its also questionable that drastic steps like that would be taken unless there is some inadvertant contact with someone that the players could even play for the transferred school and probably would have to have been ok'ed by TSSAA for the total transaction to have been made. This is not an uncommon event. Players transfer more and more, right or wrong. Where the contact is made and whats squeeky clean is the question? Does it take an agreement by both schools that the transfer can be made or does residency take care of it without that?

I also assume the situation would exist in football, track, soccer or Volleyball. golf or Tennis.

Again no one has been recruited to Wilson Central by any member of the coaching staff

I did not mean to imply that Wilson Central recruited these girls. I have absolutely no reason to believe that they were recruited.

My point was that Kakeleg Jake posted "Kids today want to gravitate towards winners....can't blame em for that." However I will guarantee you if they had transferred to a private school, someone would be screaming that they were recruited.

Perception. That's my point.