Greenbrier?

hudsonj

Okay some of yall have taken this topic way out of porportion. I never said fire the coach. all it sounds like to me is that you don't care if we never make playoffs again because are coach is Coach Williams. how many losing seasons will it take to convince yall. firing the coach after one losing season is crazy. that would be ridiculous. so that is why i have never said fire the coach. all i said is when do you question him.

I am pretty sure that you are a player that doesn't see much if any playing time. And I am pretty sure that assuming that Greenbrier will never make the playoffs again shows your youth and reasoning. The playoffs will come back around for Greenbrier not in spite of Coach Williams, but because of him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know what kind of people get on here and bash on coaching decisions, whether it be play calling or personel decisions, and at the same time do it by hiding behind a CoachT username???????

If you guess COWARD then you are absolutely correct :thumb:

oh yeah i'm hiding behind my name. Your just so stupid you can't even realize that we are awful and we will always be awful if they don't change something.

I am pretty sure that you are a player that doesn't see much if any playing time. And I am pretty sure that assuming that Greenbrier will never make the playoffs again shows your youth and reasoning. The playoffs will come back around for Greenbrier not in spite of Coach Williams, but because of him.

nope not a player that dosen't see anytime. not a player at all. i watch the games from the stands. So you agree just because are coach is Coach Williams we will make the playoffs. sure we will but not in the next 3 or 4 years. and if i was a player i wouldn't spend my time on CoachT posting about the head coach. i would be posting about the next game.

oh yeah i'm hiding behind my name. Your just so stupid you can't even realize that we are awful and we will always be awful if they don't change something.

I usually stay out of the issues that start turning sour or at least try to put a positive spin on them but this post just made the hair on my neck stand up when I read it.

He's exactly right. Some things need to be changed. Leadership needs to step up and put an end to the whinners on the team. Weed them out. Anyone that is willing to make a statement such as "we will always be awful if they don't change" is proof in itself. Someone who is dedicated to a team won't have this attitude. I pity you if you're on the team and have this attitude. I don't care whether you play every down or ride the bench.... if you have pride in yourself, your team, and your school.... you don't say it. Even IF it's true.... you don't say it. Not when you have teammates that are playing hurt and giving it everything week in, week out. This is especially a slap in the face of the seniors. Players that make these statements ARE one of the reasons that teams lose. All it takes is one little infection to start spreading it and before long you get something that will take years to get rid of. You get a few lazy, weak-minded players that all stand around convince each other that they know more than the coaching staff and then they usually have parents that reenforce it in them and eventually they become the majority. I remember this same thing a few years back. You could watch seniors standing around laughing on the sidelines as their team was getting blown off the field. They didn't care if they lost.... it was the coaches fault. If GB isn't careful, we'll have it again. You can see this going all the way back to the off-season workouts. Up until this year, the parking lot would be full of players who showed up for the VOLUNTARY Men of Summer workouts. They wouldn't miss it and most would get together two or three other times througout the week on their own to workout some more. They pushed each other because they were a team and they were focused on the same goal. From what I saw and heard of this summer, only a very few would show up for the voluntary workouts and many others seemed to find ways to miss the Tuesday and Thursday sessions. The things you do in the off-season is where you get your wins during the season. More proof?.....For every year since it started, we've totally dominated the Robertson County Lift-a-thon and won going away. This year we lose.

Again, the really sad part about this is that you have a good core group of players that give it their all every week and they go out and do whatever the coaches ask them. They're going to give 100% whether their 0-10 or 10-0. I agree with GBCat2... this is probably a player that thinks someone owes him playing time because he's on the team. Or maybe because he scored a touchdown in junior pro and momma and daddy said the coaches should be playing him.

Geesh! I hope we can get this kind of attitude away from the team.

I hope seymour wins. I was part of the Greenbrier team last year that went to state and lost to them. I can't stand Fulton. Fulton goes to the Boro to much.lol.

hudsonj

post Oct 28 2005 - 07:08 AM

Post #9

Manager

Group: Guests

Member No.: 77,991

I gotta go with Williams from greenbrier. they lost 23 seniors and nobody expected them to do much this year and look at where they are 7-2 and with a win tonight he would have his third region title in a row.

Apparently at one time you thought Williams was the 3A coach of the year. And you were a Bobcat at one point, it seems. On the same team with Roger. I would guess on defense so you harp on how good defense has always been.

So is it that team you want to be held up or the current team that you want to tear down? Come on' man. I'm not even a Bobcat alumni and I am proud of these guys. I don't know what your problem is, but if it's with Coach Williams, be big enough to take it up with him. You know where to find him. Don't try to belittle a team that wears the same uniform you did. Although I'm still not convinced that you're not a disgruntled Sr. standing on the sidelines. Maybe the coaches should look into that and rid the team of undermining attitudes.

Edited by GreenbrierCat2

This topic is ridiculous. As a former Marshall County player I can tell you that this coach gets more out of his players than probably anybody. Greenbrier is always disciplined and executes. When Herndon was there he was certainly not their only good player. He may have been the focal point of the offense, but he was by no means the only weapon. Their FB and QB during Herndon's junior and senior year were very good as well. As people have said before, talent comes and goes.

Coach Williams is def. not the problem. Greenbrier is lucky to have him.

Go Tigers Go!

i'm gonna go ahead and tell everyone here that i'm not a player. go to my old posts. read when i said that i think Greenbrier wins. that was when running the ball 29 out of 30 plays worked. we had dill, pigg, and alot others. like someone stated earlier talent cycles come and go. so the coaches need to work with what they have and what those players can do. if they can run the ball that many times and win more power to them. and when yall sit in the Greenbrier stands don't sit there and try and tell me that i'm the first person who has ever questioned the coaching. cause you can hear people all across the stands saying something about the playcalling. and in this whole topic i have never singled coach williams out. i'm saying all the coaches might need to do something. since Williams is the head coach of course he will take the most fire but he isn't the only one that needs to change something. and don't try and get on here and tell me i'm not a greenbrier fan. i have many friends on the team and i yell and scream for the bobcats more than most of yall on here (except Ty's mom). i'm gonna let this go. yall have taken a simple question and twisted and turned it where i am the bad guy.

I understand that you have to have the athletes, but throwing the ball in Greenbrier has never been and will never be popular. Why? Don't know. Maybe because our quarterbacks have always been groomed to handoff and run. It's a conservative approach that, if you have the athletes (a line that gets it done and runners that are tough), works. When you have a down year, though, WHOA UNTO YOU! Nowhere else to turn for offense. Line gets blown up and runners, well, they're on their own to pick up yards. And then, if there are injuries, that further complicates the game plan. I think this goes all the way back to Jeremiah Pierce (pre-Williams). That boy had a baseball gun and could sling the football a country ;) mile. But, as I remember watching, he was always running...for his life! Come forward a few years to Stetson Dickerson (very smart and athletic, but was wasted at QB, in my opinion), Brandon Holder...to Roger Herndon and Jacob Aldridge. Roger could do whatever he wanted, but, again, his talent was wasted at quarterback (who was the 'genius' that said, "let's try Roger at tailback"?). Jacob should've gotten the MVP award because he never got to play quarterback until his Jr./Sr. years. And he did a remarkable job. HE was the ultimate TEAM PLAYER. We now have a kid that is an awesome athlete in the Jr. Pro/Middle School age group. His name is Brandon Laney and he can throw and run. Heck of an athlete. In the same mold as Stetson, Brandon Holder, Roger and Jacob. But, will he get to use all of his God-given skills? I guess we'll see. There are lots of variables that will affect it: A good offensive line, fullbacks/tailbacks, receivers...and then there are the coaches. Change is difficult, but sometimes necessary.

I understand that you have to have the athletes, but throwing the ball in Greenbrier has never been and will never be popular. Why? Don't know. Maybe because our quarterbacks have always been groomed to handoff and run. It's a conservative approach that, if you have the athletes (a line that gets it done and runners that are tough), works. When you have a down year, though, WHOA UNTO YOU! Nowhere else to turn for offense. Line gets blown up and runners, well, they're on their own to pick up yards. And then, if there are injuries, that further complicates the game plan. I think this goes all the way back to Jeremiah Pierce (pre-Williams). That boy had a baseball gun and could sling the football a country ;) mile. But, as I remember watching, he was always running...for his life! Come forward a few years to Stetson Dickerson (very smart and athletic, but was wasted at QB, in my opinion), Brandon Holder...to Roger Herndon and Jacob Aldridge. Roger could do whatever he wanted, but, again, his talent was wasted at quarterback (who was the 'genius' that said, "let's try Roger at tailback"?). Jacob should've gotten the MVP award because he never got to play quarterback until his Jr./Sr. years. And he did a remarkable job. HE was the ultimate TEAM PLAYER. We now have a kid that is an awesome athlete in the Jr. Pro/Middle School age group. His name is Brandon Laney and he can throw and run. Heck of an athlete. In the same mold as Stetson, Brandon Holder, Roger and Jacob. But, will he get to use all of his God-given skills? I guess we'll see. There are lots of variables that will affect it: A good offensive line, fullbacks/tailbacks, receivers...and then there are the coaches. Change is difficult, but sometimes necessary.

So I am unclear on what you are saying. You think there should be a change of mindset, or a change of coaches? If you've ever coached a team of kids, you know that everyone wants to be the pitcher, or short stop or quarterback. How do you let them all play, and what if there are one or more that are equally as good. In my years of playing ball, the worst thing that ever could take place is to not KNOW your role on a team. The position, the gameplan, the expectations. When my son was in TBall it was a statement of "everyone go out and take a position" but as he grew the coaches access and determine who has the best capability for which position was needed. Looking back I don't think we had another player to fill the role that Roger did as well as he did. And yes there were other great players out there. In fact, my son and I were just discussing Jacob last night and that he was an AWESOME ballplayer. So was Clint Russell. But we agreed their talent was overshadowed. It was great to see Jacob on the field the other night in pre-game. He still is one of the best to walk on Greenbrier's field, if you ask me.

In our discussion last night, that State team was compared to a well-oiled machine that each knew their part, and one part without the other would have never worked, and each of those boys can always carry that pride. Unforunately, I am concerned about the lack of enthusiasm I see on this team moreso than their abilities. I think the coaching staff (all of them) work hard with these boys and are just as perplexed about the solution to how to get a win as all of we are. But in the same sentence I feel we've been riding high for quite a while, so why not dance with the one(s) that brung ya? These coaches will figure it out and separate the "men from the boys", the wills and the won'ts. I can almost guarantee it.

So I am unclear on what you are saying. You think there should be a change of mindset, or a change of coaches? If you've ever coached a team of kids, you know that everyone wants to be the pitcher, or short stop or quarterback. How do you let them all play, and what if there are one or more that are equally as good. In my years of playing ball, the worst thing that ever could take place is to not KNOW your role on a team. The position, the gameplan, the expectations. When my son was in TBall it was a statement of "everyone go out and take a position" but as he grew the coaches access and determine who has the best capability for which position was needed. Looking back I don't think we had another player to fill the role that Roger did as well as he did. And yes there were other great players out there. In fact, my son and I were just discussing Jacob last night and that he was an AWESOME ballplayer. So was Clint Russell. But we agreed their talent was overshadowed. It was great to see Jacob on the field the other night in pre-game. He still is one of the best to walk on Greenbrier's field, if you ask me.

In our discussion last night, that State team was compared to a well-oiled machine that each knew their part, and one part without the other would have never worked, and each of those boys can always carry that pride. Unforunately, I am concerned about the lack of enthusiasm I see on this team moreso than their abilities. I think the coaching staff (all of them) work hard with these boys and are just as perplexed about the solution to how to get a win as all of we are. But in the same sentence I feel we've been riding high for quite a while, so why not dance with the one(s) that brung ya? These coaches will figure it out and separate the "men from the boys", the wills and the won'ts. I can almost guarantee it.

If you've read what I've written before, I've said that these coaches are very competent. And, as others have so astutely pointed out, every year ain't gonna be a STATE year. It's common sense that the talent level isn't going to be the same every year...at ALL schools. This year ours is down. Station Camps' just happens to be up. Coaches have to adjust to what they've been blessed (?) with, unless, of course, they can recruit or talent just moves into your zone 'cause they like ya ( ;) ). Losing exacerbates grumbling, especially in the stands. People that are competitive and have the common goal of winning will always look for the answer as to why they ain't winning in a particular timeframe. That's human nature. Blaming the coaches is unfortunate, but, like No Doubt said before, if they didn't become stupid overnight it must be the players. And therein lies the problem. I don't like blaming someone unless I know they're the true culprit. In this case, I think it may be a little bit of coaches not wanting to change AND players not stepping up. I'm an outsider looking on, so I don't know what goes on behind meeting doors or on the practice field. All I see is the result of those every week. This has been a crazy year. If I was coaching, I'd be flexible and try to salvage what I could. If I was a player, I'd play as hard as I could and be thankful to God for letting me be healthy enough to play.

In any event, I'm still for the team, win or lose.

i'm gonna go ahead and tell everyone here that i'm not a player. go to my old posts. read when i said that i think Greenbrier wins. that was when running the ball 29 out of 30 plays worked. we had dill, pigg, and alot others. like someone stated earlier talent cycles come and go. so the coaches need to work with what they have and what those players can do. if they can run the ball that many times and win more power to them. and when yall sit in the Greenbrier stands don't sit there and try and tell me that i'm the first person who has ever questioned the coaching. cause you can hear people all across the stands saying something about the playcalling. and in this whole topic i have never singled coach williams out. i'm saying all the coaches might need to do something. since Williams is the head coach of course he will take the most fire but he isn't the only one that needs to change something. and don't try and get on here and tell me i'm not a greenbrier fan. i have many friends on the team and i yell and scream for the bobcats more than most of yall on here (except Ty's mom). i'm gonna let this go. yall have taken a simple question and twisted and turned it where i am the bad guy.

You are the enemy, aka a fair weather fan, and not to mention an idiot :lol: