South Fulton

Devil_Alumni

Nobody from Union City was complaining about being one of the smallest basketball playing teams in the state the last year they played 2A ball....The move to 1A was for football...The main roadblock to Union City from getting to substate the last few years was Haywood County,a 3A football playing school..Haywood has almost as many students as Obion Central...Union City split two games with state qualifier Haywood last year,losing by 8 in Bolivar and beating the Tomcats in Brownsville near the end of the regular season...The enrollment thing has been beat to death...Union City had the same number of students this last time as they did when they took the numbers that preceded the move to 1A..Union City would have won District 13AA last year and they would win it this year..They probably would not have made state last year in 2A because of the region teams they would have to play and then the Memphis school they would play if they made it to substate action...You wouldn't have heard Union City people complaining about having to beat those teams to get to the state tournament though.....Regardless of what people think,Union City is a legitimate 1A basketball school and will be so for some time..Instead of crying and complaining about them being in 1A it might be in the best interest of the other schools in the district to try and figure out how to beat them....The state championship they won last year wasn't given to them...Humboldt beat them twice in tournament action...Lake County was a tough opponent and Middleton is Middleton especially in their old barn of a gym....I don't know the situation of the player that transferred but I believe he played at JCM last year,so appearently he was eligible to play there...I can guarantee that if there was any question about his academic eligibilty,Sisco would not have him playing..So,that's a non-issue..So really the point of all this is that the teams not named Union City,Lake County and Humboldt in this district need to step up their game or continue to get rolled over by them...And oh by the way,the state champion in 1A will come from this district,again....

Nice to see ya back on the boards...It's about that time again, huh? Where do you see UC finishing this year in the district?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No arguments from me regarding UC being single A in basketball. By the numbers, any way you slice it, they are single A. We have been competitive with Union City in the past and will be again once some major changes are made at South Fulton.

As for the player at UC, I believe his academic issues are resolved. I think he was in good standing when he left SF last year. And if he continued to pass, he can play this year. Either way, anyone can play at team camp. This player dressed and played for SF last year at team camp. It's no big deal.

What is a big deal is the state of athletics at South Fulton. We need more coaches with the work ethic and technique of Curt Lee. South Fulton is lucky to have him.

This is a legitimate question from someone who is not that familiar with South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Fulton</a>, so don't take it as a jab.

What is wrong with South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> athletics? In the not-too-distant past, they competed well in football, went to state tournaments in basketball (yes, I know about Trey Pearson), etc. Now, they are getting pounded in football, the basketball team struggled last year, the girls' basketball isn't much better, and the baseball team was weak at best. What are your thoughts, those in "the know"? Is it lack of support, lack of athletes, or a lack of coaching? Maybe a combination.

Again, just my curiosity here.

Several factors contribute. The coaching change was a necessary one. But that is just step one. The last 3-5 years south fulton has had some of the smallest graduating classes in the history of the school. Somewhere between 40 and 50 students makes a difference when you normally avg between 70 and 80 each year.

Another problem is several kids coming out of the jr high ranks that need to be playing are choosing football or baseball or not playing anything all together. A very short time ago it was common to see 4 or 5 kids in a class playing all 3 major sports but today you're lucky if they're are 2 in the entire school. Look at the sf teams of the past. All good teams had one thing in common. The same kids playing and leading in all sports not just one.

Support has always been there..even on down years south fulton has always traveled well and brought a great fan base. Athletically south fulton is lacking that dominant player that stands above everyone else.. Take the past 15 years there was always that one guy that you could build a team around. Role players are a thing of the past..If you can't start or or play alot of minutes kids are quitting.

This is just my opinion from a lifetime red devil supporter. GO BIG RED!!!

We at SF need to step up to anyone we play no matter what classification or who they have on the team. I wasn't bashing UC band, just making an observation. Still I don't like what happened with the reclassifications and that's just my opinion and sorry to beat a dead horse. One thing to just mention, Coach Wood has said to the newspapers that it looks like UC will be going back to 2A and Bruceton (I believe, maybe West Carroll) will go to Region 8A to even out the districts in football. Anyone else hearing this? Isn't the break at 400 and if so according to ucdiditagain they are there now....just pointing out what is being said.

All in all our players and coaches have to step up, honestly the competition is good. When we were in school we beat UC, OC, Martin and everyone else in basketball...what a great feeling that was and that's what we need to get back too, confidence and being proud of your team and program.

Regarding the player at UC he's a good kid, had some trouble with grades at SF, went to Jackson and is now at UC. Yes I don't think his granddad would put his self in that position. I like him as a ref and person. But what if it does happen that's what I was getting at.

Another thing to point out why SF is in the condition it is, we have good players moving off just like this guy. Too take our running back for example last year, Terry Jones now at Paducah Tillman, he ended some games last year with more yards than Vincent, and boy did we need him this year. Too he wasn't a bad basketball player.

Things will change for the best; I do believe we are heading in that direction. For the kids reading all this just keep your heads up, play hard, play as a team and let's put a spanking on some of these guys :thumb:

Edited by Shotgunqb

Thanks it was thrilling to be a starter on that team, we didn't win state that year but we made it to the playoffs....you've got to go futher back...for a hint....they broadcasted our game with UC over the intercom in the Goodyear plant that night....I'm not saying how long ago :rolleyes:

Edited by Shotgunqb

About the classification of Union City, there is no set # of students for each classification ie below 400 is 1A. The way they do it is the take every school and put them in the order of greatest # of students to lowest. Then they take the bottom third of the state and they are 1A, the middle third is 2A, and the top third is 3A. This is done to keep one classification from having more schools in it than another. So UC is only going to move up if they 1) get more kids and 2) whoever is at the bottom of 2A loses some.

The same thing that is happening at SF is happening at Greenfield. There just is not any dominant player with good role players to play with athletes like Union City, Humboldt, Lake Co. etc. It does not matter if you bring in Coach K or Phil Jackson, if you don't have players that can play you aren't going to win.

First post of the year, feels good.

jvaughan...welcome back and glad you posted...thanks for the info...I've always read the number was 400...guess that was it back when the shake up in 7A happened two years back...You are right about having players that can play...SF does this year and it will be good to see them come together...after Christmas things will really be hitting on all cylinders provided we stay injury free...good things will happen this year with our ball teams...I can just feel it in the air :thumb: Speaking of air, we've got a kid that can really sky for a white guy B)