New playing surface in Morristown?

cuz

This would be a tremendous move for Hamblen County and both HS there.

I think the whole thing would pay for itself in no time.

They pay from what I hear, $50k a year to resod the field - which has to be done yearly.

Then, there's no telling on whats spent on in-season maintenance in the fall and spring. Add in that the field has to be serviced in the winter to prepare it for the spring sports from the beating that it took in the fall.

I'd hedge a high estimate of $50k on regular maintenance per year, so theres 100k a year. By that, the field would pay for itself in 4 years.

Of course, there's also factoring in lost money.

West had to move two playoff games I think from Burke-Toney for field reasons, that meant, I'm sure money to lease another stadium. They also had to push back the 2003 State Semi-finals to a Saturday because of rains and a poor field.

They had to move the jamboree to Carson Newman College this year because the field wasnt ready. I'm not sure who paid the money to lease that, but I'd bet that was anywhere from 3-5k. (Even though I think they need to hold the jamboree there every year. It was a truly great environment at Burke-Tarr).

Some people mention building West a field. But I dont think anyone could outdo Burke-Toney. Paying the one time $400k for the turf would be great. I dont see anyway you could build a stadium - for a team that would demand a big stadium - for $400k. Burke-Toney is the finest HS stadium in the immediate area, jmo. It has an immaculate view from the press box and its a great place to broadcast a game, only if you could do something about the windows for people like me who stand up, lol....

As for logos, I'm pretty sure they could purchase different colored endzones and midfield logos. Those things should just zip into place (or fit into place with the seams?) I would think.

I heard they spent 80k this year on sod.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They already have a bid to get it done for $480,000.. The company said they would give the discount to East to have a sales model in this part of the state. With all of the games on it, it will pay for it's self in 2 season. Don't start that underpaid teacher crap... This will be great for these athletes...

I agree there is a need, they play 500 games per year on that field...BUT you obviously are not a teacher. Without them no athletes. :wacko:

I agree there is a need, they play 500 games per year on that field...BUT you obviously are not a teacher. Without them no athletes. :ph34r:

Like others have said.. When we decide what career path we are going to take, one has the understanding of the salary that goes with that occupation.. Teachers are compensated fairly in my op.. This field is not about the teachers. It is about the athletes, they are the ones who will generate enough to cover the costs over the next several seasons... I appreciate all educators by the way ; )

What is going to happen with the area where Sherwood Park used to be? Are they going to build another baseball park for the Canes? If not, what if they converted that area to serve as a field for soccer, middle-school football, etc.? Just a thought.

They are rebuilding Sherwood according to the Council and the Parks and Rec. It has just taken much longer than it should. There is a lot of finger pointing going on with this and the truth is...the person at fault does not matter (at this time), just get the field completed. After completion, then we need to find out who is at fault.

By the way, this is not the Canes field per se. It is a Park and Rec field that is used by East. When East is done, then the P&R teams are allowed to use it.

Edited by leectn

They are rebuilding Sherwood according to the Council and the Parks and Rec. It has just taken much longer than it should. There is a lot of finger pointing going on with this and the truth is...the person at fault does not matter (at this time), just get the field completed. After completion, then we need to find out who is at fault.

By the way, this is not the Canes field per se. It is a Park and Rec field that is used by East. When East is done, then the P&R teams are allowed to use it.

I thought it was the countys field.. It's not East field huh? It suire is going to be designed for hurricane country, yes it is East field...

I agree that teachers are underpaid but it is showing ignorance to complain about it. I knew what my job paid before I took it and can't really complain and teachers should know what they will make as well. Stop crying about it. As far as "if you can read this" junk, I will thank god,mom,dad,soldiers,doctors,bus drivers,electricians,text book manufactures,etc. as well as teachers for being able to read. Teachers should thank parents for having children for allowing them the chance to have a job to teach someone to read. It goes on and on. stop crying about it. THIS IS A BOARD ABOUT FOOTBALL.

I know that this is a football board, but you were the one who made the statement with BOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO in reference to educators. I feel that your statement was ridiculous. I still think it is. You show me an 8 am-3 pm teacher and I will show you a teacher that is not worth anything. Most good teachers take their jobs home with them.

I am glad that you had teachers in your list somewhere of those you thank. God is also a very important part of it. As for thanking the parents, I agree. The teachers that have students who actually want an education should thank those parents.

Believe me, I am not crying over teacher salaries. They have improved greatly over the past 20 years, but every teacher deserves at least a standard of living raise every year. Your response was cold and disrespectfuol of the profession.

ANYWAY, I believe I said that in the end the issue was about safety. That has not changed. I pray that the school system can get this thing changed. It would be what was best for the city and county.

Anyone whom is in education natuarlly thinks they are the most intelligent in any arguement........wrong. Go to wal mart, buy something for 2 dollars and then go to the register and complain about it being 2 dollars as priced and clearly marked. SAME PRINCIPAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do think teachers are underpaid but I also think they like to point it out waaaaaaaaaaay too much. If there is one proffesion that is underpaid, it is nursing. That is why there is a huge shortage.

Anyone whom is in education natuarlly thinks they are the most intelligent in any arguement........wrong. Go to wal mart, buy something for 2 dollars and then go to the register and complain about it being 2 dollars as priced and clearly marked. SAME PRINCIPAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do think teachers are underpaid but I also think they like to point it out waaaaaaaaaaay too much. If there is one proffesion that is underpaid, it is nursing. That is why there is a huge shortage.

I will not argue that the field of nursing has a strong need for people in the profession. I have many friends in that profession and they tell me about the shortage. I know that Carson-Newman is doing its absolute best to help remedy the problem. WSCC is doing its part as well.

Yes, educators know what the going rate is for the profession. The people who point out that teachers are underpaid are the unions in which are extremely vocal. HCEA is always in the news and their goal, just as every union in every business in America, is to get better pay/wages for the employees.

Please remember that most of the teachers that I know went into the business to make a difference. Money was way down the totem pole. Many of the most vocal are the ones who only went into it for their summers off. I can at least vouch for my family members who are in the profession. All of them want to make a difference. I felt that I had to defend teachers like my parents.

Now let's get back to the football. I never meant to get this far into this topic.

Did anyone notice the rumor that Greenway has been kicked off of the Green Devils football team. Boy, that would make a huge difference Friday night!

Go Canes!

First of all, I am not in the teaching profession. I did not mean to cause this huge debate over teachers being underpaid. I believe they are. Someone pointed out that teachers knew the salaries they would recieve, so it's thier own fault. Go ask cities in South Carolina and Georgia where they are having to offer jobs to people without teaching certificates because they can't find enough certified teachers. People are choosing to go to other professions because of the lack of pay. Where will we be when there aren't enough well trained teachers to teach our children and give them the opportunity to have a quality education? At least we will have a state of the art football field.

Edited by where's the love?

First of all, I am not in the teaching profession. I did not mean to cause this huge debate over teachers being underpaid. I believe they are. Someone pointed out that teachers knew the salaries they would recieve, so it's thier own fault. Go ask cities in South Carolina and Georgia where they are having to offer jobs to people without teaching certificates because they can't find enough certified teachers. People are choosing to go to other professions because of the lack of pay. Where will we be when there aren't enough well trained teachers to teach our children and give them the opportunity to have a quality education? At least we will have a state of the art football field.

You can look at this issue a couple of different ways. Yes this field wouldn't be cheap, but over the next 20 years it would SAVE Hamblen County a tremendous amount of money. Once it is installed it requires little upkeep. The rumor is that 40-60 K is being spent each year to make the field playable. After that with the amount of play on this field all that money is flushed down the drain by mid-season.

Right now there is NO grass between the hashes. This makes for a very dangerous situation for players and officials. It would be a shame for someone to get seriously hurt (which unfortunately is a very real possibility) because the field is in such poor shape.

This leaves only 2 solutions. Build a new stadium (which would cost significantly more money than a new field) or put in the turf. Continuing with the current situation is analagous to having a classroom teacher trying to teach a class with 100 kids and no textbook. Something needs to be done, and to me this seems to be the most cost effective and best solution.