Courtney Coffey

Bluewhirlygig

Undoubtedly, Courtney Coffey is a rare athlete. The kind of athlete you only see once or twice a decade. But for the life of me, I do not understand why everyone is so high on Courtney Coffey as a wrestler!

Throughout his career, Courtney's power and quickness have enabled him to dominate lesser athletes and slightly better wrestlers. However, he has yet to be tested by an opponent who either may be less athletic but a far superior wrestler, or who may equally athletic and a better wrestler (which would have happened had he gone to the Junior Nationals). For that reason, I am sold quite sold on Courtney as a wrestler.

But in all fairness to Courtney, his wrestling skills are still largely undeveloped as he has not had any decent coaching, which makes his success (2X DII State Champion) even more admirable. (It is a shame that he did not attend Ryan, MBA, or even Ensworth where he would have had an opportunity to learn a great deal more wrestling.) So, if he decides to pursue wrestling in college, I would expect him to improve greatly under an experienced coaching staff that will further develop his wrestling skills to accompany his athleticism.

I look forward to watching Courtney this season and, should be pursue wrestling, in the years to come because his raw wrestling talent coupled with his athleticism gives him great potential.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I somewhat agree, from what ive seen when he wrestles he dominates partially because of his strength and speed. He does have some skill. When you compare his skill to former Hendersonville wrestler Nic Bundy, he has nothing, Nic HAD skill. Pretty much what im saying is his wins matches by speed and strength with enough skill in the sport to get by and be the state champ he his, i admire him for just winning state plus he could whoop me tail any day so i aint disrespecting him

I somewhat agree, from what ive seen when he wrestles he dominates partially because of his strength and speed. He does have some skill. When you compare his skill to former Hendersonville wrestler Nic Bundy, he has nothing, Nic HAD skill. Pretty much what im saying is his wins matches by speed and strength with enough skill in the sport to get by and be the state champ he his, i admire him for just winning state plus he could whoop me tail any day so i aint disrespecting him

There R very few 215lb I've seen over the last 6 years that show a lot of skill. When you have what Coffee has U don't need skill in TN Wreestling.

Undoubtedly, Courtney Coffey is a rare athlete. The kind of athlete you only see once or twice a decade. But for the life of me, I do not understand why everyone is so high on Courtney Coffey as a wrestler!

Throughout his career, Courtney's power and quickness have enabled him to dominate lesser athletes and slightly better wrestlers. However, he has yet to be tested by an opponent who either may be less athletic but a far superior wrestler, or who may equally athletic and a better wrestler (which would have happened had he gone to the Junior Nationals). For that reason, I am sold quite sold on Courtney as a wrestler.

But in all fairness to Courtney, his wrestling skills are still largely undeveloped as he has not had any decent coaching, which makes his success (2X DII State Champion) even more admirable. (It is a shame that he did not attend Ryan, MBA, or even Ensworth where he would have had an opportunity to learn a great deal more wrestling.) So, if he decides to pursue wrestling in college, I would expect him to improve greatly under an experienced coaching staff that will further develop his wrestling skills to accompany his athleticism.

I look forward to watching Courtney this season and, should be pursue wrestling, in the years to come because his raw wrestling talent coupled with his athleticism gives him great potential.

You don't have a clue as to what it takes to coach Courtney. Yes, God gave him strength and quickness. He knows a lot more than he shows, he does what works for him as many great champions have done. He also plays 3 sports, so he does not wrestle year round like some guys. Nic Bundy is a great talent and a great kid, he lives, eats, and breathes wrestling, Courtney does not. It would be foolish and impossible for me to try and make Courtney into a wrestler like Nic Bundy. (just using Nic as an example). Why would I tell Courtney to throw legs in or do something that he does not have to do? Why put him in a spot that will give his opposition an opportunity to roll him or anything crazy like that. * As good as Bundy was his Jr. year, he got caught and he lost. Again, just using Nic as an example. My point here is that Courtney is a great athlete, but he knows more wrestling than you think. He just does what he has to do, nothing flashy, no grambys or anything like that. How do I know, my name is Billy Whitaker, one of those terrible coaches you are talking about. So, I take offense at your statements. No, I am not Pat Simpson or Gordon Connell (they were coaching when I was wretling 20 years ago), but I have been around wrestling for quite a while and have used myself and taught just about every move out there. So, for you to come on here and bash me shows very little class. Who are you???

You don't have a clue as to what it takes to coach Courtney. Yes, God gave him strength and quickness. He knows a lot more than he shows, he does what works for him as many great champions have done. He also plays 3 sports, so he does not wrestle year round like some guys. Nic Bundy is a great talent and a great kid, he lives, eats, and breathes wrestling, Courtney does not. It would be foolish and impossible for me to try and make Courtney into a wrestler like Nic Bundy. (just using Nic as an example). Why would I tell Courtney to throw legs in or do something that he does not have to do? Why put him in a spot that will give his opposition an opportunity to roll him or anything crazy like that. * As good as Bundy was his Jr. year, he got caught and he lost. Again, just using Nic as an example. My point here is that Courtney is a great athlete, but he knows more wrestling than you think. He just does what he has to do, nothing flashy, no grambys or anything like that. How do I know, my name is Billy Whitaker, one of those terrible coaches you are talking about. So, I take offense at your statements. No, I am not Pat Simpson or Gordon Connell (they were coaching when I was wretling 20 years ago), but I have been around wrestling for quite a while and have used myself and taught just about every move out there. So, for you to come on here and bash me shows very little class. Who are you???

You tell em coach.

I agree with ya Coach! I know and have actually seen that the kid has moves, and if it "aint" broke, don't fix it! He's already won 2 championships and is a favorite to win a 3rd. Thats at least 2 championships more than most people. Unfortunately we live in a society where almost everyone is a critic. When you win 2 titles, critics want to know why you didn't win 3. You win 3, they wanna know why you didn't win 4. They also would have done a better coaching job than you, no matter what you accomplish! Good luck to you, Courtney, and the rest of the team! :thumb:

Edited by Hamm

Yea, that's pretty cheap. I seriously doubt you know anything about the coaching Coffey is getting at PJP. If you are judging their coaching by the success of their program, keep in mind that they have a little over 600 students, and the school opened 4 years ago. It's not a great idea to criticize people on a public message board when you don't really know what you are talking about. As for Coffey, I don't think he's out to prove that his wrestling ability measures up to public opinion. You realize that he pinned 3 out of 4 including the finals at the state tournament, right? It's not really his fault that he can wrestle a simple, strength-oriented match and win state. That's just smart. He's had a man's body since the first time I saw him wrestle 3 years ago, but he didn't win state back then, so he's obviously improving. The fact is that a wrestler with limited time can only go as far as our local competition level will allow him, so I think the medals around his neck should be enough to impress you for now.

In three years, and correct me if I'm wrong Steelerwhit, Coffey is 136-8 and two State Championships!!! Those numbers speak for themselves...

Maybe I am reading this wrong. Although, I don't agree with the bluewhilygig often, I think he was complimenting Coffee on his accomplishments so far. The only disparaging comments the gig had, was to the lack of coaching he was getting at JPII. One must remember, because you wrestled before, this doesn't make you a good coach. If you compare the success of the JPII program to others in the area you will find out it is struggling at best. Yes, it is a young program, but how can you say that Coffee was taught well by his coach and that is why he is successful when the others on the team have not had the same success. I believe that is what the gig is referring to. Coffee is on a young team and he is accomplishing many great things because of his athletic ability. Once the others on the team have more time under their belt they might experience more success. Just a thought.

If you compare the success of the JPII program to others in the area you will find out it is struggling at best. Yes, it is a young program, but how can you say that Coffee was taught well by his coach and that is why he is successful when the others on the team have not had the same success.

I never said, "Coffee was taught well by his coach and that is why he is successful." I don't know if he has been coached well or not, but it is ridiculous to assume that the has bad coaches based on their success after their 4th year as a school with 600 kids. That's basically like grabbing a group of 14 freshman boys and expecting them to compete against schools with enormous feeder programs and resources. Any experienced wrestler in Nashville that can afford private school is already at Ryan or MBA. A new program like JP2 is usually going to have 4 years with each kid, but nearly all of the kids at Ryan and MBA started wrestling early in middle school if they weren't born into it. It's ignorant and in poor taste to flagrantly criticize a coach, especially in this situation.

But in all fairness to Courtney, his wrestling skills are still largely undeveloped as he has not had any decent coaching

A statement like that reeks of arrogance. I mean who really says that on a public message board for everyone to read? I'm sure he was trying to compliment Coffee, but he shouldn't have done it like that, and that's the only think I'm talking about.

A statement like that reeks of arrogance. I mean who really says that on a public message board for everyone to read? I'm sure he was trying to compliment Coffee, but he shouldn't have done it like that, and that's the only think I'm talking about.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding

Yes sir Bear Cat Brown, I believe we have another winner. This is obviously the 3rd CoachT Bear Cat Brown's "DICBHPTIS" (Dang I Can't Believe He Posted That Idiot Statement) of the season.

I'm sure you recall this season's 1st two winners;

- HTownOreo45 with "all creagan does is stall"

- In Hoc Signo Vinces with "What weight is Cash going? Is he going to run from anybody this year like last year?"

Now we have Bluewhirlygig with "But in all fairness to Courtney, his wrestling skills are still largely undeveloped as he has not had any decent coaching"

Congrats gentlemen! And remember, Bear Cat will be selecting his end of the season top 10 "DICBHPTIS" and I believe you guys will be strong contenders.

Courtney Coffee is a good friend of mine. I wrestled with him in middle school and against him in high school. I have always thought he was all strength and nothing else. But to the credit of the Jp2 coaches he is head and shoulders over where he began as a freshman. But I agree with everyone if I or nic for that matter could simply grab someone leg standing straight up and take them down why wouldnt I? There is no reason for him to take a full shot and possible miss when he can never get out of position and still win. IF he decides to presue wrestling in college he will adapt just as he did from middle school to high school.

Also I would like to take this moment to mention that Courtney has two of the smartest parents in the world. Courtney does not come from a lot of money but his parents have used his athletic ability to get him into a very good school and possible a very good college. These are all things they could not afford on their own. Kudos to them for using what they have to get Courtney the best education possible and give him a great head start on life.