Worst Refs You Have Ever Seen

BulldawgDynasty

I've seen a lot...

Two years ago on a 2-point play, a WR ran his route to the back of the end zone, out of the end zone, circled the goal post, came back in to play and caught the pass after using the post as a screen and the catch was ruled good.

I've seen extra downs and downs taken away.

I've seen offsetting fouls where the officials walked both penalties (Both for unsportsmanlike calls) off - for whatever reason. When they walked off the first flag, they walked off 15 yards one way and 10 back the other.

I've seen an option QB keep the ball on 10 straight plays and on the 11th play he handed off - but he was sneaky about the handoff. The DT came through and killed the QB and was flagged for "roughing the passer".

I've seen a situation where a team on third and 2 - fumbled but kept possession and the defense thought they recovered and ran off the field. In the melee that ensued the officials signaled fourth down. The offense saw what was happening and got to the line to run a play but the official refused to blow the whistle for ready to play - citing it was his perogative to blow the whistle which allowed the defense to eventually call time out. Note that this didnt take place over 4-5 seconds, it took place over about 30 seconds.

I've seen a punt that rolled dead at the two yard line and the punting team came down to cover and the gunner slid to try and stop the ball but knocked it into the end zone and they marked the ball down at the one.

I think its funny that 3 of these situations happened in one game. I only hope that game tape made its way to the State office.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst call I ever saw was in a boys club football game in Eau Gallie, Fl in 1967. Team from Florida was on 12 yard line and personal foul was called on player from Georgia team. Refereree took ball and marked off 15 yards -- (3 yards deep into end zone) placed the ball down and signaled "touchdown" .

(This was same game where runner from Florida broke loose for long touchdown and the kids' dad was running along the stands trying to stay with his son. Only problem was that the stands ended at the 20-yard line. The bleachers stopped, but the dad didn't. He was not hurt too bad except for his pride).

You have got to be kidding!

I'll tell you all a call, or should I say lack of a call that really gets me fired up every time I think about it. Last friday night Greenback was playing Midway. Midway's QB was breaking down the field on his way to the endzone. Meanwhile, a Greenback defensive player was in hot pursuit while the QB was still in the back field. Greenback's player got the immortal crap knocked out of him from behind "CLIPPING"! He layed there in pain well after the play was over. Howerever, the flag was never thrown! Greenback's stands were in an uproar. My uncle and I just happened to be standing on the sidelines next to the endzone where the extrapoint was about to be attempted. My uncle began to yell at the ref screaming "TELL ME YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT CLIP"! The ref snickered a bit and jokingly repied "I am not going to say I didn't see it". My uncle became furious because the ref had just admitted that he saw the clip and didn't call it. Then my uncle asked him why he didn't throw the flag. He said that "I don't have a rocket arm". The clip happened all the way across the field. Just because it is on the other side of the field doesn't mean that you can't throw the flag! That was the most unproffesional ref I have ever seen. He should be banned from reffing. I know that the refs make mistakes, and that some plays are not going to get called, but this guy admitted it to us. He could have saved some integrity by at least saying that he didn't see it. I wouldn't even allow that man to ref a pee-wee game.

-Pride-

Worst call I ever saw was in a boys club football game in Eau Gallie, Fl in 1967. Team from Florida was on 12 yard line and personal foul was called on player from Georgia team. Refereree took ball and marked off 15 yards -- (3 yards deep into end zone) placed the ball down and signaled "touchdown" .

(This was same game where runner from Florida broke loose for long touchdown and the kids' dad was running along the stands trying to stay with his son. Only problem was that the stands ended at the 20-yard line. The bleachers stopped, but the dad didn't. He was not hurt too bad except for his pride).

I gotta say, that's definitely the worst call I've ever heard of. I don't think anything can top that.

Unbelievable :D

I mean like no one even saw it when it happen.

Ok refs are only human and they can see everything. Maybe you need to ref.

But I do agree that the refs were like lost in that game.

but Humboldt just beat them.

LegendSD

I saw it, everyone in the stadium saw it, except that referee. I don't think so. Sorry. Lost is lost...they need to get found before they referee another ball game. They may be human, but when a call is that blatantly easy, then you make the call. Humboldt won that game 12 - 7.

Might want to edit your post also, cause there are a lot of errors there that you did not see...kind of like that referee.

frankieD12

Frankly, Its like your friend steals a pack of gum, then you take a piece. You are just as guilty as he is. Just a thought.

Edited by fieldgoal1

this season in the Ridgeway vs. Memphis Central, Central through a middle screen to the fullback, it was overthrown and bounced off of the centers back to the fullback after which he gained 9 yards. The umpire threw the flag for illegal touching, the referee not only waived off the flag telling the coach the qb didn't mean to hit the lineman, but allowed central to keep the yardage.

That was the correct call. Illegal touching has to be an act by the ineligible player. Being hit in the back is not a foul.

I have been a Richland High school watergirl for 3 years. This past friday was the worst call ever in football history!!! i know a little about our plays, but on friday i was fooled as much as the refs. idk if it was supposed to be an option and it didnt work, but one of our running back was on the ground and curled up as if he had the ball. the refs blew the whistle to get all the houston co. guy off of him and our qb is running into the endzone with the ball. the refs blew the whistle as if the play was over and the ball was dead, but it wasnt. the refs called the td back. man have you ever seen an unset crowd? if not shouldve been at that game. the fans were still talking about it after the game.

idk how that situation shouldve been handled but that is the first time i have ever been fooled along with the refs.

This was an inadvertent whistle. The team in possession at the time of the whistle has the option of taking the ball where it was when the whistle was blown and counting the down, or going back to the previous spot and replaying the down.

It was about 4 years ago. Team A was playing team B who was #1 in the region and really good. Team a hung with team b for about 2 and a half quarters but fell behind by 14. Team a had the ball and was going for it on a 4th and 20 or so. They break the huddle and come to the line. A reciver ran off like he was out of the play but not off the field about a half yard on. The qb came to the line looked over and started yelling at the reciver. He jumped up and down and ran over to the reciver and they started yelling at each other. The stood still and the ball was snapped to the TB and he took off around the left side while team b was watching the QB and WR. after the TB got about 20 yards down the field the wistle was blown and flag thrown. Big confrence on the field and they waived off the flag and said replay the down. Team A didn't convert the next play and went on to loose(call didn't loose it for them but talk about a momentume killer) Bad thing about the thing was before the game the coach for team A went to the ref's in pre game and told them about the play!!!

The flag should not have been waved off. This was unsportsmanlike conduct and should have been penalized.

I do believe that it is still illegal touching of the ball. If it wasn't a quarterback could just hit his lineman in the back to avoid a sack.

If there was no other receiver in the area, that would be intentional grounding, but not illegal touching.

here is a horrible call...it didnt cost us the state title or even the game but it was still a horrible call...we ran a screen with our wing back and the qb threw the ball to the back and right before the ball gets to the back a linebacker comes up and wraps the back up pulling his arms down where he had no chance of catching the ball and it hit the back in the chest so the ref throws the flag for pass interferance and after discussing it with another official he waved the flag off...the reason is unknow why he waved it off

Can't have pass interference on a pass that does not cross the line of scrimmage.