Worst Refs You Have Ever Seen

BulldawgDynasty

here is a horrible call...it didnt cost us the state title or even the game but it was still a horrible call...we ran a screen with our wing back and the qb threw the ball to the back and right before the ball gets to the back a linebacker comes up and wraps the back up pulling his arms down where he had no chance of catching the ball and it hit the back in the chest so the ref throws the flag for pass interferance and after discussing it with another official he waved the flag off...the reason is unknow why he waved it off

If the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage or if the contact was behind the line, it cannot be pass interference. Pass interference restrictions for B only apply beyond the neutral zone. Good call.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that papatj had already replied. Oops.

Edited by bigwes68

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the quarterback intentionally hits his lineman in the back and there is no eligible receiver in the area, it could be intentional grounding. But it is still not illegal touching.

Read your rule book. Illegal Touching is where an ineligible receiver touches the ball first before it hits the ground. This can be done intentionally or unintentionally it does not matter. It's a foul every time . Even if the lineman is turned the other way blocking and a pass across the middle hit him in the helmet.

Come on guys if your going to bash at least know your HIGH SCHOOL RULS. Pass interference behind the line of scrimmage , No such rule has ever been in the book.

Edited by wad

Read your rule book. Illegal Touching is where an ineligible receiver touches the ball first before it hits the ground. This can be done intentionally or unintentionally it does not matter. It's a foul every time . Even if the lineman is turned the other way blocking and a pass across the middle hit him in the helmet.

Come on guys if your going to bash at least know your HIGH SCHOOL RULS. Pass interference behind the line of scrimmage , No such rule has ever been in the book.

OK, I'll back it up with the rule book then, word for word.

7-5-13: An ineligible A player has illegally touched a forward pass if he bats, muffs or catches a foward pass while he is behind, in or beyond the neutral zone, unless the pass has been touched by B.

So what is a bat, muff, or catch?

2-2: Batting is intentionally slapping or striking the ball with the arm or hand.

2-26: A muff is the touching or accidental kicking of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to secure possession.

And he obviously did not catch it, don't need to quote rule book on that one.

The lineman didn't bat the ball, muff the ball or catch the ball. Therefore, it CANNOT be illegal touching.

Oh, and just to take it a step further, this EXACT play is in the 2006 case book:

7.5.13 Situation B: Ineligible receiver A2 is behind, in, or beyond his neutral zone when a forward pass by A1: (a) accidentally strikes him in the back; or (B) is muffed by him; or © is caught by him. RULING: In (a), there is no infraction, but in (B) and ©, it is illegal touching. The acts in both (B) and © are intentional and not accidental as in (a).

Read YOUR rule book.

Edited by bigwes68

OK, I'll back it up with the rule book then, word for word.

7-5-13: An ineligible A player has illegally touched a forward pass if he bats, muffs or catches a forward pass while he is behind, in or beyond the neutral zone, unless the pass has been touched by B.

So what is a bat, muff, or catch?

2-2: Batting is intentionally slapping or striking the ball with the arm or hand.

2-26: A muff is the touching or accidental kicking of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to secure possession.

And he obviously did not catch it, don't need to quote rule book on that one.

The lineman didn't bat the ball, muff the ball or catch the ball. Therefore, it CANNOT be illegal touching.

Oh, and just to take it a step further, this EXACT play is in the 2006 case book:

7.5.13 Situation B: Ineligible receiver A2 is behind, in, or beyond his neutral zone when a forward pass by A1: (a) accidentally strikes him in the back; or (:thumb: is muffed by him; or © is caught by him. RULING: In (a), there is no infraction, but in (:huh: and ©, it is illegal touching. The acts in both (:o and © are intentional and not accidental as in (a).

Read YOUR rule book.

Good job you set me straight. You sound like you wear the stripes. Glad you helped me out. Thanks

First off, do you not watch football. I know of three instances in HS football I've seen a QB catch his own ball. And this year in the NFL I've seen the thing that you've described plenty of times.

Ok, now for my story

The Huntington v Milan game last year. Fourth quarter H-Town driving, losing by no more than 6. Huntington's QB takes the snap from their own 40 yard line. He rolls to his right, looking for an open man. He gets 3 yards from the sideline, gets hit as he throws, the ball goes at least 30 yards and ends up getting knocked down. Ok, 8 seconds after the play, the Back Judge throws a flag. I'm thinking holding or something. NO, he called intentional grounding on him. Ok, let me do the check list...

He was outside the tackle box (hashes)

The ball went passed the line

the ball went towards a receiver

The ball was nearly caught..

Even worse, the call was made on H-town's sideline.

This was a playoff game....

First off, do you not watch football. I know of three instances in HS football I've seen a QB catch his own ball. And this year in the NFL I've seen the thing that you've described plenty of times.

Ok, now for my story

The Huntington v Milan game last year. Fourth quarter H-Town driving, losing by no more than 6. Huntington's QB takes the snap from their own 40 yard line. He rolls to his right, looking for an open man. He gets 3 yards from the sideline, gets hit as he throws, the ball goes at least 30 yards and ends up getting knocked down. Ok, 8 seconds after the play, the Back Judge throws a flag. I'm thinking holding or something. NO, he called intentional grounding on him. Ok, let me do the check list...

well then we agree that those refs were terrible but you cant argue with the fact that we got shafted A LOT worse.

Ok, now for my story

Sounds like a bad call...but only because you say the pass went toward an eligible receiver. Plus, there's no way the back judge should be throwing that flag, that should be the referee all the way, possibly getting help from the other officials to determine if an eligible receiver was in the area. In high school, there is no such thing as "outside the tackles" or the ball going past the line of scrimmage. The only determinant is whether the pass was thrown to conserve loss of yardage and if there was an eligible receiver in the area.