Private-Public

CoachHolly7

It is amazing that every year the A/AA tournament sends 14 private school teams to the sweet 16. You think these schools don't recruit. Sure they do. Even though they are D-1 and aren't supposed to give aid- they promise them so much. I know- I've been there. It is not fair to the A/AA schools that have to pull from just what their neighborhood offers. And then a private school down the road lures the better player in. AAA isn't the same because you don't see as many private schools in the AAA. They go to A/AA so they can win. TSSAA needs to look at this. For the last several years- the final 16 are 90% private.

When you see the scores for A/AA the privates beat the public by 4-6 goals. Not even close. They need to play each other..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing that every year the A/AA tournament sends 14 private school teams to the sweet 16. You think these schools don't recruit. Sure they do. Even though they are D-1 and aren't supposed to give aid- they promise them so much. I know- I've been there. It is not fair to the A/AA schools that have to pull from just what their neighborhood offers. And then a private school down the road lures the better player in. AAA isn't the same because you don't see as many private schools in the AAA. They go to A/AA so they can win. TSSAA needs to look at this. For the last several years- the final 16 are 90% private.

When you see the scores for A/AA the privates beat the public by 4-6 goals. Not even close. They need to play each other..

Having been the President of one of those private schools, I can tell you that you have no idea what you're talking about. There is a proper place for this discussion and it is not on the soccer board. It is always interesting to me that people don't complain when the public beats the private in football or basketball, they're glad to have us there!

The correct breakdown of the final 16 is 10 public schools (Elizabethton, Chuckey Doak, Sweetwater, Livingston Aca. - a public school, Station Camp, Fairview, Spring Hill, Forrest, Madison Academic Magnet and McNairy) and 6 private schools (Knox. Catholic, CAK, Notre Dame, FRA, USJ and Jackson Christian). The final 16 was in fact 62.5% public - 37.5% private. For the mathematically challenged, 37.5% is less than 90%.

If you are going to complain, at least get your facts straight.

Edited by Bighurt

The correct breakdown of the final 16 is 10 public schools (Elizabethton, Chuckey Doak, Sweetwater, Livingston Aca. - a public school, Station Camp, Fairview, Spring Hill, Forrest, Madison Academic Magnet and McNairy) and 6 private schools (Knox. Catholic, CAK, Notre Dame, FRA, USJ and Jackson Christian). The final 16 was in fact 62.5% public - 37.5% private. For the mathematically challenged, 37.5% is less than 90%.

AMEN!

Maybe the whinners would rather do away with all championships and hand out participation awards to all varsity soccer players so everyone can be a winner--just like in AYSO---no competition, everybody wins. ;)

As Zeek observed above, where are all of these righteously indignent public school complainers when their schools are beating the small private schools' brains out in basketball, baseball, football, etc.?

Once the public complainers achieve their obvious goal of forcing the privates out of TSSAA altogether, Tennessee will never again have a true state champion in any sport. Now that's progress, folks. Keep up the good work. <_<

But if the public supporters didn't speak in generalities, innuendo, and rumor ... then what would they have?

Ooops - Maybe the truth!

Excellent post! :thumb:

I still think it has a lot to do with most of the girls in the schools remaining play high quality soccer year round and not just during the high school season. The abundance of talent that is in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis is just greater than the smaller towns. So many of the girls have a choice between 3 or 4 clubs instead of just 1 or 2.

I know we face the same problem during the club season when we play an Atlanta or Dallas team.

Hoping not to offend anyone, I will add my two cents. My daughter is only a freshman, so I have yet to see as many teams as most of you. I have followed High School scores for a while (and most soccer scores, gotta love this game!). As best I can tell, it all comes down to coaching. The schools that have good programs and consistently win have quality coaching.

Every school (public or private) have two or three "great" players, some players with potential, a few average players and then the few that make you scratch your head. The coaches that can put them all together, improve their skills and knowledge, and create soccer players happen to win more games and titles.

Do private schools have an advantage over public in attracting quality coaches? I wouldn't think so. Maybe in some rural areas, but in most of these schools soccer is just an extra activity for the students. (Not dissing, just an observed fact. I have noticed the players still love the game even when losing.)