Henry County vs Melrose

HC Patriots my thought for you today

Don't ever feel threatened by the future, take life one minute at a time.

Don't ever feel guilty about the past, what's done is done.

Learn from any mistakes you've made and advance from there.

Don't ever feel that you're alone, God is always with you.

Don't ever forget that you can achieve so many of the things you've only imagined.

It's not as hard as it seems.

Don't ever stop dreaming your dreams.

You don't always get a second chance in life, but tonight is your second chance to make your dreams come true. Don't waste a second of it tonight! Play so that tomorrow you have no regrets. God be with you all!

Very nice #77mom! This one I'll have to remember, I really like this thought for today!!!

I know Yanker won't be on here today because he is staying with his dad. I hope things went well for him yesterday. Yanker, I hope you get to attend an HC game next week. You know how nervous I get on Friday.

Mom, nice comments to the team.

Patriot team, just one word: WIN!

OK RedPride, your nervousness is a good sign. But I would like to ditto on your comments to Yanker and his father. Maybe he will get to listen to the scores on 96.5FM! This is the BIG NIGHT we have all been waiting for since August!!!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Film at my house? Much to my surprise, I opened my door to find a box on my stoop with a note that said, "Best wishes from the Munford Coaching Staff."

Thanks to all of the Melrose fans wishing us safe travel. I hope for that as well as no injuries to any of the players. I also hope to leave with a big smile on my face. It's going to be a tough one.

That was actually funney :thumb: . Who wins? Actually it will be the team that makes the fewest mistakes. I know that's a cliche but think about it. Henry seems to let teams hang around and makes a ton of mistakes before they wake up and play example East. Melrose will have trouble maintaining long drives becouse of mistakes. If Henry can contain Melrose's big plays and make tham drive the ball the lenght of the field with their kicking game Henry wins. The other factor and this might be the biggest one is the weather. Wet and rainey is advantage Henry with their power running game. Three yards and a splash of mud, run the clock, keep Melrose's offense off the field and Henry wins. HC-24 M-19! Good luck region 7. If we do beat Fairley and ya'll beat Melrose we'll have a interesting week. ;)

I am at a loss here, I remember a Melrose team last year that lost a state title game because they were trying to pass when they had Cooper. Passing a lot can cause a lot of 3 and outs. Passing teams are not made over night, it takes work to be efficient at it. #13 may well get some big catches in the game but that over the top stuff is not a real high percentage passing attack. East tried it the other night for like 12-31 for a bunch of yards but only 16 points and two big picks. Hardin county has had a defense that would resemble a screen door holing out water against any kind of good offense. Like I said, we scored 45 agains them in 3 quarters, more against them than anyone else.

Prophet, I'll try to clear it up for you.

Melrose's strength last year, with its stud RB Cooper, was in the running game. Melrose should have stuck with its strength vs Maryville. They did not. They chose to pass too often, leading to a number of those dreaded 3 & outs, that you spoke of. Melrose made a huge strategic error, IMO (none of this is to say that they would have beaten Maryville, otherwise...).

This year, Melrose has a new Coach & Soph QB Toney. He started for the 1st time around the 2nd or 3rd game of the season. Melrose did not make the pass its 1st option, which is understandible, given a young, unproven QB.

What was obvious, way back in the early season...Toney was the real deal! He had all the tools to be a GREAT QB. He just needed more experience. Meanwhile, Melrose continued to be a run-1st, pass-2nd team. They struggled mightily but continued working to find its way, offensively, particularly in the passing game. Toney continued to learn and grow as a Varsity QB.

Fast forward to last week...Toney had emerged from his cocoon. He was now ready, the Coach (apparently) felt. He was FINALLY going to be made Melrose's 1st offensive option! Melrose would indeed sink or swim with the pass. In other words, QB Toney & his corps of his receivers were now going to be asked to carry the load, offensively. The passing game's season-long "dress rehearsal" was now over. It was now "showtime." Time to put up or shut up!

The result: Melrose's offense came alive, in a big way.

Prophet, Melrose utilited multiple receivers and lots of short and mid-range passes, last week vs Hardin County, with great efficiency. They did not rely solely on the low-percentage, "home run" ball. Sure, they connected on a few deep balls, but tactically employed all facets of its passing game.

I don't know how well Melrose's offense will perform vs HCs defense, tonight. I do know that Henry County should expect to be forced to defend all parts of the field vs Melrose's passing game. In addition, HC must not forget about Melrose's "sneaky" running game. It caught Hardin County completely on its heels, resulting in 150+ yards (I think), as HC had come to expect the pass!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prophet, good luck to your squad tonight. I'm pulling for Melrose, of course :thumb: Hopefully this will be a clean game with no injuries.

Ya'll please drive safely...the rain is supposed to be coming.

...I change if it is raining the score will be HC 22 Melrose 6

This could get ugly in favor of the Patriots.

I'm sorry that I am so excited, but I've been waiting for this one since last season. I still remember those seniors going to Memphis when they were in the 8th grade. They won then and they WILL WIN NOW!!!

Congratulations Henry County.

Wow, what an offensive explosion on your part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILS, anyone?

Prophet,

That was an excellent analysis. You made some great points... There's just one huge, fatal flaw with your entire thesis: Melrose's offense did not open up "as of late." It just opened up LAST WEEK, vs Hardin County!

I've seen Melrose play a number of times this year. Make no mistake about it, their offense was clearly a run-first pass-2nd offense. I know. I saw it with my own 2 eyes. It was only last week that there was a NOTICEABLE (and later publicized, though Melrose never did say exactly what that change was...) change in Melrose's offensive philosophy: Melrose employed a definite pass-first, run-2nd strategy!

The result: an offensive explosion!

Prophet, I'm gonna stop short of saying that Melrose will "explode" vs Henry County. I have no idea. I will tell you this though: Expect to see Melrose pass the ball practically 70% of the time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry County fans...ya'll drive safely, tomorrow. Have fun @ the game. I suspect it's gonna' be one heckuva' football game!

if Melrose "exploded" offensively (and they did move the ball well) against a good but not great Henry Co defense,,,,,,, then what word could we use to describe Henry Co's offensive domination on the ground against an excellent Melrose D?

HC wins 35-28. Back to Henry County next Friday for round 3!!!!!!!!!

if Melrose "exploded" offensively (and they did move the ball well) against a good but not great Henry Co defense,,,,,,, then what word could we use to describe Henry Co's offensive domination on the ground against an excellent Melrose D?

HC wins 35-28. Back to Henry County next Friday for round 3!!!!!!!!!

How about "EXPLOSION!"

Great win by HC, tonight....Apparently, neither defense was very stout tonight. It sounds like it was a good ol' fashioned shootout!

Henry County is going to have to tighten up its defense, if it expects to seriously challenge for the 4A Championship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great season, Melrose.

I WOULD LIKE TO BE THE FIRST TO CONGRAULATE YOU GUYS ON A GOOD HARD FOUGHT VICTORY! MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU GUYS. I BELIEVE THE GAME CAME DOWN TO TURNOVERS AND WE HAD 2. WE XAN NOT SAY WE GOT BAD CALLS. THATS BULL. JUST A GOOD HARD GAME WON ON THE GROUND. YOU GUYS HAVE ONE GREAT BACK. WE DO NOT HAVE A BACK PERIOD. NO CRYING NO COMPLAINING JUST SWALLOW THIS BITTER PILL CALLED DEFEAT. GOOD LUCK NEXT WEEK DO YOU GO TO FAIRLEY OR THEY COME TO YOU. MOM 77 YOUR SON PLAYED A GREAT GAME I INTRODUCED MYSELF TO HIM AFTER THE GAME ON THE FIELD. I HAD ON THE FULL YELLOW RAIN SUIT.