New to wrestling

jeremy8529

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from practice today, the coach gave me a ride home since, my parents were not home yet. Yesterday, we had to do a 1/2 mile leap frog, around the track. Had to jump over 12 people then get jumped 12 times. Nothing new for you guys.

Honestly, I don't think wrestling is much worse than football, it is only a little worse.

In footbal we had to pull tires for 10 40's then 10 without. Full out sprints. And lift weights. Then an offensive line practice of pushing a sled and Team O.

So, it is not all that worse yet.

Maybe we can make this a journal....

If it's not harder than football practice your Coach doesn't know what he's doing!!! :lol:

I am new to wrestling, I played football for the Centrle Chargers my Freshmen Year, (this season that just ended). The season didn't go to well for us, but we got better every game and I am being seriouse, we had 28 freshmen/sophmore and 7 upperclass men. Any ways, back on topic, now the coaches are wanting me to wrestle to get better at o/d line. Right now I weight 206 and bench 180. I just decided that I would introduce myself.

Do you guys have pointers for someone who never wresteled in their life before?

Any comments?

Check out- http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtopic=111811&hl=

or

http://www.themat.com/index.php?page=showa...ArticleID=10114

Picks-From the Gridiron to the Wrestling Mat: Wrestling is Training for Life

06/04/2004

In comparing the two sports the transition from football to wrestling should be a natural move for high school athletes.

However, the lack of knowledge and true understanding of the sport of wrestling can be an obvious barrier for many youth. The kids in American society are more apt to know about Kurt Angle’s for-show struggles in the WWF, then his epic battle to win the gold-medal in freestyle wrestling in the Olympics.

Essentially, the coach should make it clear that cutting weight is not necessary. The message from the coach should be the opposite. The goal should be to make football players and wrestlers in general bigger in size, stronger in body, and stronger in mind. Wrestling’s purpose is to build the stature of its competitors. To do that a participant does not need to cut weight.

Coaches can wow high school students with names of numerous football players who improved their abilities and refined their toughness by training on a wrestling mat. But, the deeper message to the kids should be wrestling requires total body control deepening skills that can be used in a variety of sports. Not a group of muscles in the body is overlooked. When a competitor steps on to the mat he/she takes responsibility for the development and coordination of every square inch of their body.

Make yourself a wrestler and you’ll learn skills and thinking that will boost your performance in every challenge—both physical and mental—that you undertake in life. Wrestling is training for life and we want you to be a part of it! When a wrestling coach takes a look at every position played on the football field, skills that are important on the wrestling mat leap off of the gridiron. If a football player is serious about working their way to greatness, enlighten them about the skills that the wrestling experience can help them with. Running backs have a storied history of a wrestling connection. For example, before Ricky Williams won the Heisman Trophy for the Longhorns of Texas, he battled World Champion Stephen Neal on the Wrestling mat. Surely the skills of wrestling played a part of his football success. Envision a running back trying to blow through the line of scrimmage. The explosiveness in the legs, the jukes and fakes, the stiff arm, the body control, and the balance carry the runner for yards after contact to the end zone. Then, transfer all of those skills on to the wrestling mat.

For example a wrestler’s shot when done correctly is a coiled spring exploding through an opponent, done chiefly with the legs. Undoubtedly a picture of Cary Kolat’s powerful legs would be enough to convince most people that wrestling can build power. The jukes and fakes meant to leave a tackler in the dust are very closely associated to the same level changes, and motion meant to take an opponent out of position. Speed is an asset in wrestling and football. A season on the mat will make any participant quicker and more explosive. A running back carries the ball with tucked tightly to his body. Carelessness or a weak grip often results in a fumble. Daily in wrestling, competitors build a powerful grip. The farmer grip forearms are essential for a wrestler to find success on the mat. Dan Hodge a famed wrestler from Oklahoma often surprised fans at wrestling tournaments by squeezing an under-ripe apple into mush with one hand. If he was a running back surely he would’ve had a solid grip on the pigskin. Finally in a running back frame of mind the ability to maintain your feet and shed a tackle are amazingly similar to wrestler’s ability to downblock or crossblock. Kevin Jackson, National Freestyle Coach for USA Wrestling often shows wrestlers how to extend one leg back and off the ground and drop a hand to the mat while leaning his chest forward towards the mat. Commonly before a football game running backs warm-up practicing the exact same skill only while holding a football and switching it from arm to arm. Fighting off a tackle is done every day in wrestling; wrestlers just call it defending a takedown. Go to the other side of the ball, and generally regarded as the fiercest player on the gridiron is the linebacker. The player that sheds off lineman—finds the ball—and lays out big hits has a reason to step on the mat as well.

Ray Lewis, All-Pro Linebacker in the NFL often credits wrestling for heightening the toughness needed to be a great linebacker. The skills are obvious again, the ability to fight with your hands is seen in linebacking as in wrestling. The quick pursuit mirrors that of a lightning fast shot. And finally, if a linebacker truly loves hard-nosed contact, then of course he’d want to test his ferocity on the wrestling mat. Olympic Champion Brandon Slay’s ability to drop his hips and blow through his opponent resembles the powerful football tackles that he perfected playing under the lights in the football-crazed state of Texas. His shot often resembled a freight train compared to a methodical step-by-step technique. If a linebacker wants to improve his toughness wrestling will bring out the best—or is it the worst—in him. Often offensive linemen are overlooked for the intelligence and precision required to complete their assignments. To make a play spring clear for big yardage takes the efforts of the group exploding out of their stances down in the trenches. Mentally a lineman has to assess the defense and make the proper reads. Gap or seam, linebacker or double team and what was that snap count again? The quarterbacks call cues the explosion, and the o-lineman takes the precise steps called from his read of the defense and powerfully makes contact driving into the defender. That’s what is going through the offensive lineman’s head, but it is remarkable how many of those skills wrestling could help refine in a lineman turned winter-wrestler.

Football coaches are often frustrated and stymied by an Adonis of a lineman that it is mental mush. “He just can’t learn his plays or get to the right spot”, might be a football coaches assessment of the lineman that should be better than he’s showing. However, if that lineman tests himself in wrestling he’ll learn the abilities to assess and attack during his wrestling campaign. Athletes on the mat develop “mat-awarenes”, that really is the ability to recognize and remember the actions needed to attack or counter from a specific position. A wrestling scramble is a live-rubik’s-cube, requiring quick perception and adjustment in a close contact setting. Neither sport should be overlooked for the thoughtfulness it requires. Once the snap is taken a lineman’s footwork is supposed to have precision to attack a proper angle. Similarly the shooting and def

Edited by rigger101

Core strength is key in wrestling (as well as on the o/d line in football)...working on your legs,hips and entier mid section is what will help you the most when it comes to both sports...but i think (and know through experience) that wrestling helps you alot when it comes to football and staying in good position and useing your leverage. Give it a shot, you have a good coach to learn from.I think you will enjoy it.