Solution to realignment

jacksoncounty

Could you or someone else give us or point us to an example of this. I'm new to the debate, but not to the issue. However, I'd like something concrete that I can see. Is there a written document on the "merit system" that shows how it operates? Thanx! :thumb:

A "merit" system might be similar to the system used by the English soccer leagues (I think it is used by most European leagues) of promotion and relegation.

The Bighurt "merit" system (copied from a previous post) -

Although I agree (as much as it hurts to agree with Antwan) that a merit system won't happen, let me propose a simple method of merit promotion/demotion using football as an example since this sport seems to "drive the cart".

Over a two-year (or 3 years or 4 years) ranking period if a team reaches the third round (quarterfinals) of the playoffs, that team in that sport would be promoted to the next higher classification (for example, 1A to 2A). If a team doesn't make the playoffs over the two-year (or 3 years or 4 years) period, that team could choose to drop down to the next lower classification. Promotion or demotion would only happen at the end of the two-year (or 3 or 4) period not every year. At end of the ranking period, you would start over.

There would be many details to work out but Ohio has been doing this for years. It would take some time for things to even out. Sports with 3 classes or 2 classes would have to be handled differently.

JMHO

Edited by Bighurt

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rank every football team in the state and divide by 5. Tweak as necessary to make regions work out and evaluate every 2 or 3 years. I think a 4 year period is too long if a team is ranked either too low or too high. Two year intervals would seem to work better. Throw out multipliers and enrollment numbers. Every team will settle into a classification. Those on each end might move back and forth between classifications. So.

I don't see how any system could be more fair. As it is rivalries are not really considered nor travel distances or travel times. Just look at this past years region 2-6A. From state line to state line, Tennessee River west to I-65 in the east.

A "merit" system might be similar to the system used by the English soccer leagues (I think it is used by most European leagues) of promotion and relegation.

The Bighurt "merit" system (copied from a previous post) -

Although I agree (as much as it hurts to agree with Antwan) that a merit system won't happen, let me propose a simple method of merit promotion/demotion using football as an example since this sport seems to "drive the cart".

Over a two-year (or 3 years or 4 years) ranking period if a team reaches the third round (quarterfinals) of the playoffs, that team in that sport would be promoted to the next higher classification (for example, 1A to 2A). If a team doesn't make the playoffs over the two-year (or 3 years or 4 years) period, that team could choose to drop down to the next lower classification. Promotion or demotion would only happen at the end of the two-year (or 3 or 4) period not every year. At end of the ranking period, you would start over.

There would be many details to work out but Ohio has been doing this for years. It would take some time for things to even out. Sports with 3 classes or 2 classes would have to be handled differently.

JMHO

Wow, for some this could be a roller coaster!

Hey, why not treat those from the triplets the same way? 1A is getting killed by 2A (in the A/AA alignments) - it would be great to have those winning 2A's move to 3A and taste what it's like for 1A!! :D

I see the private school supporters who do not have their facts straight are the ones who appear to be crying here. The facts speak for themselves, Enjoy the conversation, I think at the next realignment for 2009 more change is coming.

Again I say if private schools were competing in 4A or 5A we wouldn't even need this discussion because the large public schools would have the clout, as they exhibited eariler, to create Division II. Now the argument shifts to the smaller schools. We are at the semi finals weekend and who is still here- Friendship Christian, Goodpasture, Lipscomb, and Jackson Christian. Four of twelve finalists in the lowest 3 classifications.

In Classes 4A and 5A-NONE.

For your information, private schools in 4A and 5A - None!

By the way, there aren't any public schools in DII in case you wanted to gripe about that.

In my opinion, the proponents of a total split seem to make a very "real world" argument (sarcasm). Let's all tell our kids in the public high schools that they are at a huge disadvantage to the ones in the private schools. After that we will teach a great lesson by eliminating the "advantaged" competition. Then we can have a "disadvantged" state champ and an "advantged" state champ. Before long those "disadvantaged" public school kids will be in college classrooms trying to keep up with the "advantaged" privates school students and what are they to do??? What about intermurals? Should they have a league for the gifted private school athletes and a different one for the "disadvantaged" public school kids? And more importantly, how can you expect a young man who went to a public school to compete in a job interview when kids from privates might interview as well? Perhaps we should have corporations ran soley by people who went to privates and others ran by those "disadvantaged" public shcool students.

Of course I say all this "tongue in cheek".

Let's look big picture here, high school sports is to teach character, teamwork, responsibility, and commitment. It isn't to hand out trophies. Lets think about the kids here and the lessons we are teaching.

Edited by derek782