Sports injuries and precautions for this year

PHargis

The last two years a thread was started concerning sports injuries and precautions as far as Females are concerned. It evidently did some good as whoever may have been reading this thread, had some influence on someone or something happened and injuries did not seem to be as geat at the end of last year. Some posted and thought this was not a good post and that the athlete knew what was best and could do what they needed to do. Enough response occured, while some repetitive, that this is initiated again. It covers basics such as knee pads, ankle braces, shoes, Shoe inserts, proper warming up before a game, reasons for knee injuries, proper rest during the season, hydration, and officiating that would cut down on the chance of an incident.. Some may get bored with the repetitive nature but others may be just starting. The goal would be no injuries but we all know that is not very likely but the goal realistically would be fewer injuries in a very intense sport. Those who have a comment on those things by experience have seemed to reduce injuries are appreciated and if there are some technical issues involved as there usually are, some SPORTS TRAINERS are asked to enter in to the discussion and give some expertise. Anyone can start and we hope injuries are kept at a minimum this year.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lat year an effort was made by teams to allow the time to properly warm up before games and it was notice to be one of the reasons for less injuries. While attending some some playdays, some of this is carrying over and some not. To some degree, this has been proved as a good practice and cuts down on some injuries.

lat year an effort was made by teams to allow the time to properly warm up before games and it was notice to be one of the reasons for less injuries. While attending some some playdays, some of this is carrying over and some not. To some degree, this has been proved as a good practice and cuts down on some injuries.

swish

The last two years a thread was started concerning sports injuries and precautions as far as Females are concerned. It evidently did some good as whoever may have been reading this thread, had some influence on someone or something happened and injuries did not seem to be as geat at the end of last year. Some posted and thought this was not a good post and that the athlete knew what was best and could do what they needed to do. Enough response occured, while some repetitive, that this is initiated again. It covers basics such as knee pads, ankle braces, shoes, Shoe inserts, proper warming up before a game, reasons for knee injuries, proper rest during the season, hydration, and officiating that would cut down on the chance of an incident.. Some may get bored with the repetitive nature but others may be just starting. The goal would be no injuries but we all know that is not very likely but the goal realistically would be fewer injuries in a very intense sport. Those who have a comment on those things by experience have seemed to reduce injuries are appreciated and if there are some technical issues involved as there usually are, some SPORTS TRAINERS are asked to enter in to the discussion and give some expertise. Anyone can start and we hope injuries are kept at a minimum this year.

I saw a good article on one of my updates about using balancing exercises to strengthen ankles. Worked better than strength & conditioning. Prevented a lot of ankle injuries.

I saw a good article on one of my updates about using balancing exercises to strengthen ankles. Worked better than strength & conditioning. Prevented a lot of ankle injuries.

Whilethe season is early and it souldn't be this way, this thread gets busy as injuries start occuring. that is backward than what it should be. If you you tell us where the article is I amsure someone will appreciate it. Do you have any ideas on ankle braces? Balancing on a large ball was recommended last year but some schools are now requiring braces.

Ever since my 8th grade year i had the worst time with my ankles. I remember my freshman year i tore all 3 lig. in my right ankle then as soon as it was better i tore all 3 in my left. Finally my mom, who is goin to school to be a physical therapist assisstant, got me to go to her boss and do strength training for my ankle. I had ulra-sounds, estim, and rubberband strengthening for about a month. i have to say now that i do the rubberband strengthening i have been sprain free for about 4 or 5 months.

Shoes...idk maybe it's just me and the fact i constantly think about it, i dont like to wear nike shox for basketball. i wore them my 8th and 9th grade year and i constantly rolled my ankles. I now wear a diff. shoe than my team because they (whoever we get our shoes from) kept sending the wrong shoe. I have to say i am glad they sent the wrong shoe 3 times. :thumb:

Ankle braces: IF YOU ARE AN ATHLETE WEAR THEM!! GOOD OR BAD ANKLES BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW!! be safe.

Ever since my 8th grade year i had the worst time with my ankles. I remember my freshman year i tore all 3 lig. in my right ankle then as soon as it was better i tore all 3 in my left. Finally my mom, who is goin to school to be a physical therapist assisstant, got me to go to her boss and do strength training for my ankle. I had ulra-sounds, estim, and rubberband strengthening for about a month. i have to say now that i do the rubberband strengthening i have been sprain free for about 4 or 5 months.

Shoes...idk maybe it's just me and the fact i constantly think about it, i dont like to wear nike shox for basketball. i wore them my 8th and 9th grade year and i constantly rolled my ankles. I now wear a diff. shoe than my team because they (whoever we get our shoes from) kept sending the wrong shoe. I have to say i am glad they sent the wrong shoe 3 times. :D

Ankle braces: IF YOU ARE AN ATHLETE WEAR THEM!! GOOD OR BAD ANKLES BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW!! be safe.

This is a good post from an athlete. While I'm not a player now, circumstances required be inthe past year to use rubberband strengthening of an ankle and was perscribed by a PT. It was exceptionally good and I can see why you got the results you did. I can certainly recommend them for strength.

This is a good post from an athlete. While I'm not a player now, circumstances required be inthe past year to use rubberband strengthening of an ankle and was perscribed by a PT. It was exceptionally good and I can see why you got the results you did. I can certainly recommend them for strength.

defense

Whilethe season is early and it souldn't be this way, this thread gets busy as injuries start occuring. that is backward than what it should be. If you you tell us where the article is I amsure someone will appreciate it. Do you have any ideas on ankle braces? Balancing on a large ball was recommended last year but some schools are now requiring braces.

If you haven't had problems with your ankles previously, then you really shouldn't wear ankles braces b/c the braces will actually make your ankles weaker than before. Now I will say that they do help keep your ankles from turning and schools are taking out the risk of waiting until someone turns an ankle before making them wear the braces but once you wear them then you always have to wear them b/c if you don't then you have a 60% chance of rolling them with greater damage than if you had never worn them and rolled your ankle the same way. The reason for this is your ankle becomes dependent on the brace and weakens b/c it doesn't have to be as strong. So if you haven't worn them before and have had no problem then continue what you're doing but if you have had problems get you a pair and don't play w/out them again.

If you haven't had problems with your ankles previously, then you really shouldn't wear ankles braces b/c the braces will actually make your ankles weaker than before. Now I will say that they do help keep your ankles from turning and schools are taking out the risk of waiting until someone turns an ankle before making them wear the braces but once you wear them then you always have to wear them b/c if you don't then you have a 60% chance of rolling them with greater damage than if you had never worn them and rolled your ankle the same way. The reason for this is your ankle becomes dependent on the brace and weakens b/c it doesn't have to be as strong. So if you haven't worn them before and have had no problem then continue what you're doing but if you have had problems get you a pair and don't play w/out them again.

Very good post and not unlike some posts the last two years. it wouold be good to get some other thoughts as there are other thoughts on this subject, one which you brought up. Sme have thought that onlly wearing the short time at practice and games and not any other time might not adversly effect the ankle but the real answer might be to contact your sports trainer for their thoughts. I have seen teams who wear them not be bothered with ankle injuries for a whole season and am seeing more teams and players using them. Not promoting the device, it would be good to know who might support and which one do you use and why?

Very good post and not unlike some posts the last two years. it wouold be good to get some other thoughts as there are other thoughts on this subject, one which you brought up. Sme have thought that onlly wearing the short time at practice and games and not any other time might not adversly effect the ankle but the real answer might be to contact your sports trainer for their thoughts. I have seen teams who wear them not be bothered with ankle injuries for a whole season and am seeing more teams and players using them. Not promoting the device, it would be good to know who might support and which one do you use and why?

swish