Ooltewah @ Smyrna

Owlbino

my biggest fear was Smyrna going into this game as a favorite

I can see that is not the case

undefeated team with better,bigger faster players that most are predicting to win by 2 tds

I LIKE IT!!!

the one score on ooltewahs schedule that sticks out

ooltewah 24

cookeville 21

a team that was beaten soundly by 2 of smyrnas opponents lebanon and lavergne

whom both lost to smyrna

Smyrna your win last week proved nothing to nobody its time to get to work and do it again

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the Cookeville game... Ooltewah is a very young team that has been developing over the year. That first game included a lot of younger classmen, playing for the first time, and seniors who had never started before.

I was one who believed Ooltewah would be 7-3 at best and they have surprised me. I watched them earlier in the year and then returned to watch them against Sevier County. They have made great strides, so I wouldn't compare what they are doing now to what they did against Cookeville earlier in the year. This is a much improved team.

Their greatest weakness is the secondary, but I wouldn't call them shabby. If you allow their front seven to get to the quarterback, you will probably be in for a long night.

I expect that these two teams are very comparable: quick, athletic and balanced--could beat you with both the run or the pass. Ooltewah's defense has improved over the year, and it was pretty good against the run the whole year. Should be a great game next Friday!

undefeated team with better,bigger faster players that most are predicting to win by 2 tds

I LIKE IT!!!

ooltewah 24

cookeville 21

whom both lost to smyrna

Smyrna your win last week proved nothing to nobody its time to get to work and do it again

I dont think it would be accurate to consider a Week 0 game when talking about a team in the post season. I'm not just saying that because I'm an Owl fan. A lot has happened in 13 games. Kids grow up, coaches see what works and what doesn't. It can just be a totally different team!

One score that sticks out to me on Smyrna's schedule: Riverdale 49, Smyrna 0.

I know Smyrna won when it counted last week, but this shows there is an obvious vulnerability. I hope Coach Monroe can get the game film for that week from Riverdale! We need to do whatever they did! Haha!

49-0 is 49-0 no matter how you slice it...and it was later in the season. What in the world happened????? Seriously, I'm asking a serious question.

I dont think it would be accurate to consider a Week 0 game when talking about a team in the post season. I'm not just saying that because I'm an Owl fan. A lot has happened in 13 games. Kids grow up, coaches see what works and what doesn't. It can just be a totally different team!

One score that sticks out to me on Smyrna's schedule: Riverdale 49, Smyrna 0.

I know Smyrna won when it counted last week, but this shows there is an obvious vulnerability. I hope Coach Monroe can get the game film for that week from Riverdale! We need to do whatever they did! Haha!

49-0 is 49-0 no matter how you slice it...and it was later in the season. What in the world happened????? Seriously, I'm asking a serious question.

Like you said. Teams change over the season and Smyrna has changed dramatically since then.

Well than you'd have to learn the wing t in less than week. :thumb:

I LIKE IT!!!

ooltewah 24

cookeville 21

whom both lost to smyrna

Ooltewah had 2 returning starters on offense and 2 returning on defense. I think that explains the Cookeville score...

Haha, this Buzzman is killing me! You must have a crush on BJ or something!?!? Go over to the thread about Brentwood Academy beating McCallie if you want to continue to rave on BJ. This is about Ooltewah/Smyrna. We made the comparison of Jeremy Woods to BJ, now it's over.

Also, very good post from ImaOWL. I think he gave a pretty good description of the Owls' offensive threats...minues Woods and Morgan.

Awe......I'm sorry grad. I guess I broke the rules by posting off topic? You see, I'm aware that I went a little overboard, but I was trying to hammer the point home. People have finally realized what a lot of us have known (the smart ones :thumb: ) all along. Understood?

Edited by Buzzman

The score of 49 to zero is not as important as what smyrnas coaching staff and players did after that

complete change in defensive scheme

changed personnel

added 2 defensive lineman to the mix

we have some good d lineman and jeremy king has been getting it done all year but getting sutherland healthy ( good decision by coaches to spot play him and keep him healthy for the stretch run) and wilcox who is playing at a level no one expected have been more important than all the skill players that get all the publicity ( and should because that has always been the nature of the game)

and the important thing is the defense has gone from a liabilty to a strength

the first team defense has done the folowing ( we have had a few games in hand late and pulled the 1st team)

oakland 1 offensive td

lebanon - shutout

coffe county - shut out

Lavergne - shut out

riverdale - 1 td - held scoreless the second half and did not pick up theirt 1st first down until the end of the 1st qtr and could not score in the 4th qtr despite having the ball inside smyrna 25 3 or 4 times

if smyrna had lost to riverdale early 35 to 21 or 28 to 7 I submit that smyrna would have not made the changes that now have them playing at home against another another great team for a chance to go to the clinic bowl

the season has really flipped now offense 1st of yr carried us and now its the defense which I have heard

offense sells tickets

defense wins chamionships

Oh yes, I'm starting a thread before anyone else. Go me.

Alright, so uhh, I don't know anything about Smyrna. I really didn't know much about Riverdale either, except they ran 90% of the time.

ok so look at this video and tell me that riverdale isnt good and say that smyrna has to be good to stuff a team like this... riverdale has tremendous size and they are huge and fast.. so watch this,they are a little intimidating to so be careful.

Oh yes, I'm starting a thread before anyone else. Go me.

Alright, so uhh, I don't know anything about Smyrna. I really didn't know much about Riverdale either, except they ran 90% of the time.

ok so look at this video and tell me that riverdale isnt good and say that smyrna has to be good to stuff a team like this... riverdale has tremendous size and they are huge and fast.. so watch this,they are a little intimidating to so be careful.

Riverdale had 306 total yards of offense last week. Smyrna had 196 yards of total offense. The difference in the game is Riverdale fumbling in the redzone twice... Kudos to Smyrna though but I really wouldn't say holding Riverdale to 306 total yards stopping them...

Riverdale had 306 total yards of offense last week. Smyrna had 196 yards of total offense. The difference in the game is Riverdale fumbling in the redzone twice... Kudos to Smyrna though but I really wouldn't say holding Riverdale to 306 total yards stopping them...

The fumbles were very costly . RHS had some pretty tuff penalties at key times. They are bad about holding on the O line and it bit them in the butt more than once Fri nite. Hats off to Smyrna for getting them rattled.

Edited by 2priceless