Henry County Enrollment

The Hermit

Could someone please explain to me why Henry Co. was aloud to move down in classification? I know it has something to do with not counting their ninth graders as part of their enrollment because they are not on the same campus. Is this a new state rule and what does the rule say? Can you just stick your freshman in another building, call it something else and drop down in classification? Have any other schools dropped in classification because of this rule? It makes no sense to me. It would make more sense to me if they had junior highs that were feeding more than one high school, but they are not. They have a ninth grade school and only one County High School. Why shouldn't they have to count those students?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please explain to me why Henry Co. was aloud to move down in classification? I know it has something to do with not counting their ninth graders as part of their enrollment because they are not on the same campus. Is this a new state rule and what does the rule say? Can you just stick your freshman in another building, call it something else and drop down in classification? Have any other schools dropped in classification because of this rule? It makes no sense to me. It would make more sense to me if they had junior highs that were feeding more than one high school, but they are not. They have a ninth grade school and only one County High School. Why shouldn't they have to count those students?

The ninth grade is counted in HCHS total school enrollment. The number of students you see on Team Home Site includes the 9th grade. When reclassification was done we were under the 5A number for FB. We are still under in students 2 years later. I have heard rumours that TSSAA is thinking about looking at changing to only 4 classifications for FB.

HCHS - 1332 students 2004

HCHS - 1338 students 2006

This year Senior Class is 275.

Ninth Grade class is usually around 400. Students numbers fall off quickly as they go thru SOPH/JR years.

When reclassification was done I believe the break points were changed.

Edited by wingman

The ninth grade is counted in HCHS total school enrollment. The number of students you see on Team Home Site includes the 9th grade. When reclassification was done we were under the 5A number for FB. We are still under in students 2 years later. I have heard rumours that TSSAA is thinking about looking at changing to only 4 classifications for FB.

Ninth Grade class is usually around 400. Students numbers fall off quickly as they go thru SOPH/JR years.

Thanks for explaining it , Wingman. I was just getting on to do the same thing. The ninth grade has always been and will always be counted in total enrollment, no matter where they are housed. That's a TSSAA rule. TSSAA is the only one that can change a classification. It's not like we said, "Hey, let's be 4A this year." This is a ridiculous attempt by someone to make it look as if we have done something wrong. The ninth grade is housed in a separate building for the benefit of education. With Henry Co. so spread out, it is better to bring these young children together first and get them more prepared for high school. In fact, HC has been recognized nationally for this innovative approach and many are starting to look at doing the same thing. We did not lose a lot in numbers; other schools in metro areas are gaining. This is fact. Happy Day to all. Be thankful. GO BIG RED.

Thanks for explaining it , Wingman. I was just getting on to do the same thing. The ninth grade has always been and will always be counted in total enrollment, no matter where they are housed. That's a TSSAA rule. TSSAA is the only one that can change a classification. It's not like we said, "Hey, let's be 4A this year." This is a ridiculous attempt by someone to make it look as if we have done something wrong. The ninth grade is housed in a separate building for the benefit of education. With Henry Co. so spread out, it is better to bring these young children together first and get them more prepared for high school. In fact, HC has been recognized nationally for this innovative approach and many are starting to look at doing the same thing. We did not lose a lot in numbers; other schools in metro areas are gaining. This is fact. Happy Day to all. Be thankful. GO BIG RED.

Honestly I can't explain what the numbers are According to Report HC has gained students each year since 2004 which is what reclass was based on. I do know that they are up some just not sure how many. I doubt any other schools numbers match either.

This is where I am confused. I see that in 2004 the numbers match up with that of the Tennessee Department of Education at around 1332, but in 2006 they don't match up. According to the Tennessee Department of Education, in 2006, if you add Henry County High School and Grove enrollment you get 1542 students. TSSAA has enrollment at 1338. Why is it different? These are last years numbers. TSSAA took the count at Christmas of last year. The Department of Education's numbers are from the end of last year.

Edited by The Hermit

This is where I am confused. I see that in 2004 the numbers match up with that of the Tennessee Department of Education at around 1332, but in 2006 they don't match up. According to the Tennessee Department of Education, in 2006, if you add Henry County High School and Grove enrollment you get 1542 students. TSSAA has enrollment at 1338. Why is it different? These are last years numbers. TSSAA took the count at Christmas of last year. The Department of Education's numbers are from the end of last year.

Maybe the way they count is different now??? I can tell you that our county growth is nominal at best. We will see what happens when TSSAA reclass in 07.

I know not where you get your information but the 9th graders are counted, and the way it happens I do not know, but what I do know is that Henry county use to be one of the smallest 5a programs and is now one of the biggest 4a programs, we just happen to be at the cut off point, There are a few 4a schools that have more students than do we.

Just from the old region 6-5a, Henry county, Clarksville, and Kenwood all dropped to 4a, who knows across the state how many did. What school do you support?