Whats wrong with total public/private split?

mphstigerfan

I just spent about 45 minutes reading all the posts in this thread. It is painfully obvious that people have their opinions. Some are more likely to open their minds than others... but this is America. Something to think about...Most schools/teams are cyclicle (public or private). A school gets a premiere athlete (QB, RB, Pitcher, point guard, etc...). A school may luck upon a group of talented athletes that happen to be the same age. Typically they have a successful team a year or two, then go in a slump for a few years until the next star or group of talented players come around again. For the private haters... Look at David Lipscomb, they have a couple of years where they are really strong, then they slump for a few years, then pick back up. The same goes for Goodpasture, CPA, DCA, etc... Publics can also typically be held to the same pattern. District II privates and the big (open zone) publics are a different story. Alcoa, Maryville, Brentwood Academy, MBA, etc... are always going to be powerhouses either by tuition or people moving or falsifying address information. In two years if all the division 1 privates were in their slump years, this debate would die (until the privates had another star or group or talented players). I'm opposed to a split, because of driving times for away games (especially during basketball season). Why drive two hours to face an opponent, when you have one that is comparable size 5 to 20 minutes away? This is not the NFL? Our kids have to study and go to school the next day after that game that for 99% will not lead to a an athletic scholarship,much less professional athletic career. We parents may not have a 'life,' but our kids have a future. It is most likely not in athletics. Athletics are helping them learn to work with a team, win and lose gracefully, etc... It is not about us... it is about them. I'd rather my child had time to do their homework vs. getting at home at 1:00 a.m. to play the other private or public in my district which is spread out over 100 miles. I'm sure there are some privates that put a bad taste in people's mouth. Report them to TSSAA. If they are recruiting, and reported, they will be caught.

I also was bored and read through the entire thread and I have to say your post is probably the best so far. I think it's very easy to get caught up in this argument while at the end of the day what you've stated about academics is soo true. I think what you've said about slumping and going in cycles is also something that gets overlooked. Though I'm also one that tends to think the TSSAA would never vote for a split based on the fact they would lose money, so this agrument is sort of meaningless.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the TSSAA and its membership voting in two years.....Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

So because TSSAA wants to look into a possible split, they are "stupid people". Thats a great quote from a private christian school. Again another great example why my kid will always be a public.

Edited by MPHSTIGERS87

So because TSSAA wants to look into a possible split, they are "stupid people". Thats a great quote from a private christian school. Again another great example why my kid will always be a public.

It's okay to call other christians cheaters and liars as a christian yourself. But when someone else calls the TSSAA board members stupid that's not okay. I fail to see your logic. It's obvious that people have this huge misconception of christians, which I'm sure you're well aware of. Christians are people to. They say stupid things, they yell at refs for making terrible calls, they even sometimes give the guy that cut them off the finger. Shocking I know. I just think throwing the "God" card around every time we don't sit up straight and say "Golly gee we're so lucky the TSSAA is looking out for our best interest and we're lucky to have them" is a cop out. I'd imagine your child would hear a lot worse than someone being called stupid at his public school, or any private school in the state for that matter.

Edited by black35

It's okay to call other christians cheaters and liars as a christian yourself. But when someone else calls the TSSAA board members stupid that's not okay. I fail to see your logic. It's obvious that people have this huge misconception of christians, which I'm sure you're well aware of. Christians are people to. They say stupid things, they yell at refs for making terrible calls, they even sometimes give the guy that cut them off the finger. Shocking I know. I just think throwing the "God" card around every time we don't sit up straight and say "Golly gee we're so lucky the TSSAA is looking out for our best interest and we're lucky to have them" is a cop out. I'd imagine your child would hear a lot worse than someone being called stupid at his public school, or any private school in the state for that matter.

I never brought God into this thread, I just thought it was ironic that kind of comment would come from a private poster. I wouldnt send my kid to a private even if he had said something nice. LOL.

Edited by MPHSTIGERS87