Who's next at LaVergne?

purple75gold

True the thread is about the new Coach but it was brought up that Gray may leave and in my opinion the 3 WR's at Smyrna are all better than Gray at this point. Could that change, yea it could but right now, Rod - Wilks, Will, and Jesse are the top returning receivers in Region 4 - 5A. Go back and review the tape from the first game and watch Gray's play, especially when A - Rod threw interceptions, he just needs to play and play hard on every play. If you have a personal relationship with him just remind him that someone is always looking at you, even when you think that they aren't. I saw him at some Camps and he blew me away with how he runs his routes and gets open, he could work on catching with his hands more but the kid is a good athlete and will play on Saturdays if he wants. I just don't think going to SHS during your last year will benefit him as much as people are saying because of the situation he would be in at SHS. Now, who is going to be the new coach, will he come from inside the program or are they going for a big hitter?

Food for thought...............

Coach Hester wants a head coaching job and will ultimately get one. He would appear to be the logical choice, unless he feels it is not what he wants? So that would appear to be pointing at an outsider coming in getting the job. BIG HITTER..........whom would you classify as a big hitter?

That Carson boy that has been mentioned MAY not be this so-called "big hitter" BUT he is a "big gasser".................in fact he could be the fabled "GASMAN".

Good luck Saturday-Steve

old 763

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone can answer a question. How good of a job is LaVergne? I'm not trying to put down a program I'm trying to find out about it. Their record over the last several years hasn't been good until 05' and 06' and now the coach leaves, so explain was the last two years a sign of a turn around and the coach leaves or a lucky run and the coach escapes.

Edited by WestTnVols

I think LaVergne on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 6..........................but let me preface this by saying that it has the potential to be a 8 or 9, but it can easily become a 2 or 3 if things don't go right.

LaVergne's positives:

Growing area with affordable living, just outside Nashville's city limits

Really good athletes

OK facilities, that seem to be in the process of getting improved

Great Region to play in

LaVergne's negatives:

Four or five more (or just as) successful 5A programs with 10-15 miles of the place (Smyrna, Riverdale, Ravenwood, Antioch, not to mention the other three Murfreesboro schools).

At least two new 5A schools coming on board within 5 miles of the school by 2010 (Stewarts Creek and Cane Ridge (which is just over the Davidson county line, so it won't affect too much).

Lack of tradition compared to its biggest rivals (Smyrna, Riverdale)

WestTN,

For the cliff notes version, LaVergne is really a boom or bust job. It has some good qualities, but it also has some negatives that any prospective coach would have to look at. The schedule setup being one road bump. You have to play Oakland, Blackman, Siegel, Riverdale, Smyrna, Wilson Central, and Lebanon each year in region, and then your non-region slate will be made up of some combination of Antioch, Ravenwood, Franklin, Centennial, or Brentwood. Out of all those schools listed, region and non-region, only Siegel hasn't made at least a one-year playoff run in this decade. If you want a challenge, LaVergne is a job that can validate a guy as a good coach, but it can break a guy too.

Hope this helps some.