TENNESSEE RULE ON SCOUTING?

jamieroper

Who can tell me what the rule is in Tennessee for one team to scout another team by video taping that team? In Alabama it is a violation and the first offense usually carries a fine and probation.

I was guilty of it once because I did not know the rule. My son was playing at Lauderdale County High School and we were having the county tournament at Rogersville. Our next game was against Brooks High School from Killen, Alabama. I had just got a new video camera and was recording Brooks playing Mars Hill from Florence. The coach saw me and asked me if I knew the rule. I told him no and he explained it to me. I stopped recording and recorded over the video.

Last night at our game with Santa Fe, another District team had someone recording our game. I thought nothing of it because I really do not care. One of our moms sitting next to me said, look, _______ is checking us out and recording us. I replied that it would take more than a video for them to beat us. Apparently the player and her father heard me. I did not mean for them to. I then explained to our mom that in Alabama it was against the rules. I guess they heard that too and they stopped recording. I will not mention the team because First, I do not know the rule, Second, I am sure they do not know the rule; Third, they may have had family members on the team they were recording. No big deal other than the stares I got the rest of the night from them. I hope I did not mess up them recording their family.

So to make a long story short, what is the rule in Tennessee? Not that it matters. I personally think that it would be a great idea to video the other team for study. Even if it is against the rules, I am not going to say anything. Just quit staring like I stole something. <_<

Edited by jamieroper

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Who can tell me what the rule is in Tennessee for one team to scout another team by video taping that team? In Alabama it is a violation and the first offense usually carries a fine and probation.

I was guilty of it once because I did not know the rule. My son was playing at Lauderdale County High School and we were having the county tournament at Rogersville. Our next game was against Brooks High School from Killen, Alabama. I had just got a new video camera and was recording Brooks playing Mars Hill from Florence. The coach saw me and asked me if I knew the rule. I told him no and he explained it to me. I stopped recording and recorded over the video.

Last night at our game with Santa Fe, another District team had someone recording our game. I thought nothing of it because I really do not care. One of our moms sitting next to me said, look, _______ is checking us out and recording us. I replied that it would take more than a video for them to beat us. Apparently the player and her father heard me. I did not mean for them to. I then explained to our mom that in Alabama it was against the rules. I guess they heard that too and they stopped recording. I will not mention the team because First, I do not know the rule, Second, I am sure they do not know the rule; Third, they may have had family members on the team they were recording. No big deal other than the stares I got the rest of the night from them. I hope I did not mess up them recording their family.

So to make a long story short, what is the rule in Tennessee? Not that it matters. I personally think that it would be a great idea to video the other team for study. Even if it is against the rules, I am not going to say anything. Just quit staring like I stole something. <_<

No. You cannot tape a game unless your team is playing in it. _______ was was checking you out illegally. Now you can trape films with another coach to get a film of a particular team, and you can go to the game and take notes and scout, but you can't video tape another team.

Edited by Rangerbook06

No. You cannot tape a game unless your team is playing in it. _______ was was checking you out illegally.

Thanks for the information.

To the young lady and her father (I think it was her father) who was video taping the Richland/Santa Fe game, now we both know the rule. No hard feelings. I consider your team our sister team and would do nothing to harm your program. We got relatives on both teams from both towns. Just dont want anyone to get in trouble. Take care and good luck the rest of the year. <_<

Edited by jamieroper

it is hard to proof it because you need the actual tape itself

its big problem in girls soccer

it happened to us this fall but we let it go because 1 we never played them 2 because of our friendship with the team and 3 we i didn't think the tssaa when punish the other team anyways

so yes it is illegal

Here's an exact quote from "Senior High Basketball Regulations" in the 2006-2007 TSSAA Handbook:

"Video taping or filming is permitted if the taping or filming is for private use or use by the two schools involved and not for public or commercial use. Video taping or filming must be done from the individual’s seat. Individuals will not be allowed to use tripods. A school taping or filming its own game may use a tripod. A school will not be allowed to tape or film a game unless its team is involved in the game. All taping or filming by a school may be approved by the local Game Director or Tournament Director, and the Tournament Director or Game Director shall assign space, when available, from which the school may tape or film. (Section II, Item C)"

Here's an exact quote from "Senior High Basketball Regulations" in the 2006-2007 TSSAA Handbook:

"Video taping or filming is permitted if the taping or filming is for private use or use by the two schools involved and not for public or commercial use. Video taping or filming must be done from the individual’s seat. Individuals will not be allowed to use tripods. A school taping or filming its own game may use a tripod. A school will not be allowed to tape or film a game unless its team is involved in the game. All taping or filming by a school may be approved by the local Game Director or Tournament Director, and the Tournament Director or Game Director shall assign space, when available, from which the school may tape or film. (Section II, Item C)"

Interesting it says "videotaping or filming".

it is hard to proof it because you need the actual tape itself

its big problem in girls soccer

it happened to us this fall but we let it go because 1 we never played them 2 because of our friendship with the team and 3 we i didn't think the tssaa when punish the other team anyways

so yes it is illegal

Since the rule quoted here is in the Basketball rules, is there a same rule in Soccer and Volleyball. There is filming a great deal in volleyball in the state and who generally is the person to ask at a school that it can be done if it is done fro personal use?

Since the rule quoted here is in the Basketball rules, is there a same rule in Soccer and Volleyball. There is filming a great deal in volleyball in the state and who generally is the person to ask at a school that it can be done if it is done fro personal use?

I do not see the same rule in volleyball rules unless I am looking at the wrong place. Seems that the rules should be the same for all sports.