Daily Times Sports Headline Sunday

GovMan

Govman............my issues are simple..... that it even made the paper. Let me assure you discipline actions and scuffles amoung WB, Heitage, and Alcoa athletes don't make the news. At Maryville it's a news item. The punishment is absolutley appropiate because that is the RULES. Maryville players have been suspended in the past for fighting and they will be in the future.....the rules have not changed. So you think it's too harsh and an exceptions should be made? I don't agree completely with zero tolerance either but this was a fight in which both exchanged punches.....what makes this any different than any other fight? Maybe WB coaches....administration....and fans can learn from this example and make punishment consistent with the incidents and not the punishment be determined by who the kid is or his importance to the event he is participating in. Just another life lesson for the Maryville kid IMO and the reason I love my kids attending MHS!

As for the title....after thinking about it you are exactly right. It is inappropiate.

Well, ML, I can see what you're saying and it makes sense. I'm not aware of a whole lot of incidents where "punishment has been determined by who the kid is or his importance to an event" at William Blount. I'm sure you are. I know that right now we have a "starter" in basketball who is not even allowed to dress out with the varsity until after Christmas because of a rules violation. This might help support your claim about not everything getting into the paper, because this incident certainly didn't. But it doesn't sound like he got any leniency from those coaches, administrators, or fans at WB though.

Edited by GovMan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The headline on the sports page of The Daily Times (Maryville Newspaper) commemorating Maryville's third straight state title this morning was:

HOLY TRINITY

Just interested in anyone's response to that. I personally considered it somewhat sacrerelgious (sp?). Is that an overreaction on my part? Doe anyone share my sentiments?

why not "TIC, TAC, TOE!!!" or something similar????

Well, ML, I can see what you're saying and it makes sense. I'm not aware of a whole lot of incidents where "punishment has been determined by who the kid is or his importance to an event" at William Blount. I'm sure you are. I know that right now we have a "starter" in basketball who is not even allowed to dress out with the varsity until after Christmas because of a rules violation. This might help support your claim about not everything getting into the paper, because this incident certainly didn't. But it doesn't sound like he got any leniency from those coaches, administrators, or fans at WB though.

Actually I am not aware of a situation personally regarding WB but have been told of some. Since it is hearsay regarding WB I retract my statement.