Daily Times Sports Headline Sunday

GovMan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The headline on the sports page of The Daily Times (Maryville Newspaper) commemorating Maryville's third straight state title this morning was:

HOLY TRINITY

Just interested in anyone's response to that. I personally considered it somewhat sacrerelgious (sp?). Is that an overreaction on my part? Doe anyone share my sentiments?

Nope..........hadn't thought about it Govman. Comimg form the Daily fish wrap I have more and more ignored their inadiquicies and rather shoddy journalism.

I did take note of one article that the times so bravely included in Friday's or Saturdays sports section. A nice two column article on the two players that were suspended because they got into a little tussle with each other. How pathetic are these locals that have to attempt to make an issue out of a couple of kids getting into a scuffle. They boke the rules and GQ suspended them for the next game.....simple as that. I know the writer of the article well and may have to give her a call. I have a load of dirty laundry on this girl and would like to know if she would like the public to know about it. I getting sick of these cowardly bush league writers taking advantage of under age highschool kids just to sell a few rags. The morals of many of our writers are very questionable at best.

Edited by MLREB

Nope..........hadn't thought about it Govman. Comimg form the Daily fish wrap I have more and more ignored their inadiquicies and rather shoddy journalism.

I did take note of one article that the times so bravely included in Friday's or Saturdays sports section. A nice two column article on the two players that were suspended because they got into a little tussle with each other. How pathetic are these locals that have to attempt to make an issue out of a couple of kids getting into a scuffle. They boke the rules and QB suspended them for the next game.....simple as that. I know the writer of the article well and may have to give her a call. I have a load of dirty laundry on this girl and would like to know if she would like the public to know about it. I getting sick of these cowardly bush league writers taking advantage of under age highschool kids just to sell a few rags. The morals of many of our writers are very questionable at best.

ML,

I read the piece. I know there are rules and I know GQ and the rest of MHS administration have to abide by them, but if the newspaper article was entirely accurate, in my opinion, the penalty was too harsh for the crime. To me, it was't even "really dirty laundry". It was two adolescent boys at school that got into a little scrape. Send them to detention ... make them write sentences ... make them run the stadium for a week-DON'T SUSPEND THEM FROM SCHOOL. I believe "zero tolerance" rules do away with our leaders and administrators being able to review individual situations and use their wisdom and common sense to come up with a proper punishment. That's just me though.

The "Holy Trinity" is God the Father; God theSon; and God the Holy Spirit. Football--even Maryville football :thumb: --pales in comparison.

ML,

I read the piece. I know there are rules and I know GQ and the rest of MHS administration have to abide by them, but if the newspaper article was entirely accurate, in my opinion, the penalty was too harsh for the crime. To me, it was't even "really dirty laundry". It was two adolescent boys at school that got into a little scrape. Send them to detention ... make them write sentences ... make them run the stadium for a week-DON'T SUSPEND THEM FROM SCHOOL. I believe "zero tolerance" rules do away with our leaders and administrators being able to review individual situations and use their wisdom and common sense to come up with a proper punishment. That's just me though.

The "Holy Trinity" is God the Father; God theSon; and God the Holy Spirit. Football--even Maryville football :thumb: --pales in comparison.

Govman............my issues are simple..... that it even made the paper. Let me assure you discipline actions and scuffles amoung WB, Heitage, and Alcoa athletes don't make the news. At Maryville it's a news item. The punishment is absolutley appropiate because that is the RULES. Maryville players have been suspended in the past for fighting and they will be in the future.....the rules have not changed. So you think it's too harsh and an exceptions should be made? I don't agree completely with zero tolerance either but this was a fight in which both exchanged punches.....what makes this any different than any other fight? Maybe WB coaches....administration....and fans can learn from this example and make punishment consistent with the incidents and not the punishment be determined by who the kid is or his importance to the event he is participating in. Just another life lesson for the Maryville kid IMO and the reason I love my kids attending MHS!

As for the title....after thinking about it you are exactly right. It is inappropiate.

Govman............my issues are simple..... that it even made the paper. Let me assure you discipline actions and scuffles amoung WB, Heitage, and Alcoa athletes don't make the news. At Maryville it's a news item. The punishment is absolutley appropiate because that is the RULES. Maryville players have been suspended in the past for fighting and they will be in the future.....the rules have not changed. So you think it's too harsh and an exceptions should be made? I don't agree completely with zero tolerance either but this was a fight in which both exchanged punches.....what makes this any different than any other fight? Maybe WB coaches....administration....and fans can learn from this example and make punishment consistent with the incidents and not the punishment be determined by who the kid is or his importance to the event he is participating in. Just another life lesson for the Maryville kid IMO and the reason I love my kids attending MHS!

As for the title....after thinking about it you are exactly right. It is inappropiate.

Agree. This is what we have all come to expect from the Fish Wrap rag we are stuck with. Cut and paste! It is a shame this rag is the rag of record of these schools accomplishments. Most news organizations are void of any Chrisitan ethics these days anyway.

That is Ok, I know who wins in the end and I feel sorry for the people at the paper who are without a clue. Merry Christmas to all.

I'm not sure that I necessarily take offense at the headline. I don't see it as inappropriate as much as I see it as just stupid. Obviously the Holy Trinity in no way has anything to do with football and it's usage in that context is just silly.

I think it's much more an indication of a lack of creativity than a religious statement. We can probably partly blame the prior MHS three-peat and all the other three-peats in modern sports history (the Bulls twice, the Lakers, USC almost, Pat Riley owning the rights to the "phrase three-peat," etc.) for the notion that these guys at the Times felt the need to come up with something on their own.