Sorry Coacht T, but somebody was going to post this anyways

McNine4MVP

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...36&game_id=

I know this one is destined for a closed topic discussion, but it has to be brought back up after the show in The Tennessean today.

The Dave Chappelle's player hater's ball has just broken out against Smyrna. This is absolutely amazing. I just can't believe that a team mom would say that its the "worst thing she's ever seen in sports". This is almost comical from my end. She may need to get out a little bit more, or at least hang out for about 10 minutes in her own Raptor student section. This almost reaks of the "we didn't win, but I always get my way" kind of thing. I'm on record as saying that I could have done without what Smyrna's kids did immediately after the game, because I have a lot of respect for Ravenwood's players and coaches and actions like that from afar make it seem like you don't. I know that's not the case because Smyrna's players and coaches actually admire what Ravenwood has accomplished in a short period of time. However, those little "ANGELS" in the Raptor student section have a big role in this, dating back to September 30th. You all can pile on JC all you want, but it takes two to tango, as they say, and they are not without blame.

People on the outside have no idea how close the first Ravenwood game and postgame incident came to ruining what ended up being a state championship run for the Bulldogs. There is no way that Smyrna wins the Ship without the kid who's football future was put on ice after that windy night in Smyrna. Now, he was DEAD WRONG in how he handled things that night, but he's a high-strung, competitive guy, and you live and learn. People know that I played a little ball back in the day and I will pay this kid the ultimate compliment, I would have absolutely LOVED to play alongside a guy like JC. You have to remember, we are dealing with 15-18 year old kids and they don't always make the best decisions at a beckon call. If they feel like they've been wronged, they will practice the eye-for-an-eye thing at the drop of a hat. Trust me, the little acknowledgement to the crowd was several months of frustration coming out. That kid is as well liked as anyone on that Smyrna team and his guys had his back, starting with a team vote just to have him reinstated. That was a vindication moment for all of those kids, as well as a championship one.

This sounds like sour grapes to me. Trust me, I am going to write Jeff Lockridge an e-mail (he's a very good guy) and stand up (somewhat....I reiterate that I could have done with the celebration) for the Smyrna guys. As a guy who is older than the players, but young enough to still put myself in their shoes, I realize this was a Newton's Third Law moment. I NEVER in a million years would have thought I'd say this, but Ravenwood fans have stooped lower than their neighbor Bruins on arrogance. And Raptor fans, take some advice for future reference "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an ally of either team and all I have done is read the article. If the Smyrna coach is accurate and Ravenwood students partied it up after the regular season game seems like it is mainly a "what goes around comes around" thing. The mom who felt inclined to bring up the children and elderly (grandparent) aspect seemed to be embellishing things a bit IMO. If nothing vulgar was done by the students seems like just a payback from the Sept 22 scenario. Particularly if Smyrna did not react to the 9/22 event as the coach said just looks like Smyrna returned the favor. Not taking sides, just MHO as someone on the outside looking in.

My two cents worth. I have no dog in this fight but as I saw it, it was in poor taste. The few players involved were pointing to their butts and at the stands, pointing to the scoreboard, and generally having a good time at the Ravenwood fans expense. Not to say it wasn't deserved because I know nothing of the history between these two schools. But when you are STATE CHAMPIONS you should act like STATE CHAMPIONS not a bunch of goons and thugs. It doesn't matter if you have never been there you should know how to behave in public.

Edited by bounder

My coworker told me that the Ravenwood students were tailgating at Brentwood and were throwing food on the school roof top. Wonder what the Ravenwood parents would say knowing that their little angels arent perfect and act like thugs at other schools? Oh I forgot they do no wrong. HEY Ravenwood YOU LOST GET OVER IT!!!! Notice how they don't really talk about the game. It was a fluke that Ravenwood went to state they didn't belong there and the lopsided game is proof of it.

As a fan of BA, I can say that when we went to Ravenwood early in the year, we were treated well -- no ugly incidences that I saw, even though the Raptors lost one they probably (and rightly) felt they should have won.

Having said that, I felt that after reading the article in the TN today, Ravenwood came off looking bad vs Smyrna. I didn't see what happened on the field after the Championship game, but after reading the article, it sure felt like Ravenwood had it coming. I'm sure that in the heat of the moment there were some things done by Smyrna players that may have been excessive, but if your fans rushed thier field earlier in the year . . . you reap what you sow. Could Smyrna have handled winning with a little more class -- yes. Could Ravenwood have handled loosing with a little more class -- most definetly.

Ravenwood had a great year -- I hate to see it spoiled by a bunch of whining . . .

Well, I have held my tongue long enough. I didn't want to come on here and get in arguments with people who no little about football in general. And, I don't live in TN any longer so I know very little about TN high school football over the past few years. However, some of you guys (and that Ravenwood mom) are making my Bulldogs look like they are the Indiana Pacers and Ron Artest (that was the worst thing I've ever witnessed in sports).

Anyway, I was at the Championship game last weekend. It was a great day for Smyrna, something I've been waiting for since about '84 when I was 3. I traveled a long way to witness that and yes, I would've liked the team to come directly to the thousands of us who came to support them and celebrate. However, being a former athlete, I know how great it feels to stick it to the other team's fans. I don't remember seeing the Smyrna players disrespect the Ravenwood team. Didn't they shake hands afterwards and applaud when RHS received their trophy? Tell me if I'm wrong. I was on the field so I didn't have the best angle. Why were the championship hats over there in the first place? The game was sealed at about the 5 minute mark. I know RHS had a great comeback in the first game, but seriously, is there an excuse for that? Oh, and let me briefly discuss someone's post about SHS running up the score. That's why they put in a tailback who weighed about 130 lb (soaking wet) and he ended up fumbling the ball. Case closed.

Do not run my alma mater, former coach, or principal in the ground for being classless. I remember in middle school when people were deciding between going to Smyrna or that other high school (why they built it so close to our city limits is beyond me) that people would argue, "Smyrna has a dress code. Girls can wear whatever they want at ___," or "there aren't as many fights at Smyrna." Yeah, stupid reasons, I know...but true. Mr. Raikes is class. He rubs people the wrong way because his standards are so high. One time in high school, I got a penalty for unsportmanlike conduct. Guess who Coach Shad had running extra after practice? Me. Another time, our team got into a fight at a scrimmage in KY. He cancelled the rest of the scrimmage and he ran the whole team for about 2 hours! Then, made the SENIORS stay and run for another 30 after everyone else left! If he finds that someone was on his team was wrong, he'll punish them. I seriously doubt he has become that soft in his old age (39)...haha.

I have attended all Ravenwood games this year, and yes our student section can very loud and rowdy. They were certainly at their worst at the Smyrna game. But "charging" the field?? Our student section runs onto the field after any game possible just as they are on the field pre-game when we are home. They love running onto the field and surrounding the team for a celebration. These post victory celebrations have nothing to do with the others teams defeat but are a desire to celebrate with the team.

Smyrna played a great game Saturday night and they deserve to enjoy the awesome feel of being State Champs. I would have loved to be there again but am proud of how far our team came this year.

My question is this-- Is a team held to a higher level of accountability then the masses?? The student section of any school at any game is there to have fun. The team is a disciplined group of athletes under the direct guidance and authority of a coach.

Another question-- Isn't finding joy in a victory different than gloating in anothers defeat??

I have attended all Ravenwood games this year, and yes our student section can very loud and rowdy. They were certainly at their worst at the Smyrna game. But "charging" the field?? Our student section runs onto the field after any game possible just as they are on the field pre-game when we are home. They love running onto the field and surrounding the team for a celebration. These post victory celebrations have nothing to do with the others teams defeat but are a desire to celebrate with the team.

Smyrna played a great game Saturday night and they deserve to enjoy the awesome feel of being State Champs. I would have loved to be there again but am proud of how far our team came this year.

My question is this-- Is a team held to a higher level of accountability then the masses?? The student section of any school at any game is there to have fun. The team is a disciplined group of athletes under the direct guidance and authority of a coach.

Another question-- Isn't finding joy in a victory different than gloating in anothers defeat??

Maybe you should ask the Ravenwood student section that question seeing as how the paper said this morning that they had to be stopped by the Smyrna coaches on Smyrna's field trying to get in the Smyrna players' faces. Just a thought.

Edited by innocent bystander

It is VERY plain and simple: Raptor parents have a blind eye when it comes to their student section. If its dished out expect to get it back. PLEASE quit crying about it. It is so far from the worst thing its a joke. When my son was a senior and lost to a Franklin team a few years back there were some of his team mates crying and one particular franklin player told one of our players to quit crying like a baby. I wanted to call the pricipal and report this player but I decided not to as it turned out I am sure he shed a few tears that year himself. Parents need to stay out of it. The bottom line is and I have said it before Ravenwood is shell shocked that they lost and are lashing out at the only complaint they have. I am a Williamson county supporter but was a Smyrna fan on the second because the smug Raptor fans make me sick.

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...36&game_id=

I know this one is destined for a closed topic discussion, but it has to be brought back up after the show in The Tennessean today.

The Dave Chappelle's player hater's ball has just broken out against Smyrna. This is absolutely amazing. I just can't believe that a team mom would say that its the "worst thing she's ever seen in sports". This is almost comical from my end. She may need to get out a little bit more, or at least hang out for about 10 minutes in her own Raptor student section. This almost reaks of the "we didn't win, but I always get my way" kind of thing. I'm on record as saying that I could have done without what Smyrna's kids did immediately after the game, because I have a lot of respect for Ravenwood's players and coaches and actions like that from afar make it seem like you don't. I know that's not the case because Smyrna's players and coaches actually admire what Ravenwood has accomplished in a short period of time. However, those little "ANGELS" in the Raptor student section have a big role in this, dating back to September 30th. You all can pile on JC all you want, but it takes two to tango, as they say, and they are not without blame.

People on the outside have no idea how close the first Ravenwood game and postgame incident came to ruining what ended up being a state championship run for the Bulldogs. There is no way that Smyrna wins the Ship without the kid who's football future was put on ice after that windy night in Smyrna. Now, he was DEAD WRONG in how he handled things that night, but he's a high-strung, competitive guy, and you live and learn. People know that I played a little ball back in the day and I will pay this kid the ultimate compliment, I would have absolutely LOVED to play alongside a guy like JC. You have to remember, we are dealing with 15-18 year old kids and they don't always make the best decisions at a beckon call. If they feel like they've been wronged, they will practice the eye-for-an-eye thing at the drop of a hat. Trust me, the little acknowledgement to the crowd was several months of frustration coming out. That kid is as well liked as anyone on that Smyrna team and his guys had his back, starting with a team vote just to have him reinstated. That was a vindication moment for all of those kids, as well as a championship one.

This sounds like sour grapes to me. Trust me, I am going to write Jeff Lockridge an e-mail (he's a very good guy) and stand up (somewhat....I reiterate that I could have done with the celebration) for the Smyrna guys. As a guy who is older than the players, but young enough to still put myself in their shoes, I realize this was a Newton's Third Law moment. I NEVER in a million years would have thought I'd say this, but Ravenwood fans have stooped lower than their neighbor Bruins on arrogance. And Raptor fans, take some advice for future reference "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

McNine, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Initially I was really upset by the Smyrna reaction but now that I know more details about the matchup on 9-30 as well as the nature of the situation and I can understand why the Smyrna players did it...there's no better feeling than running off the field and getting booed after winning a game on the road.