Region 4-5A Rumor Mill

jmu031

At least he left riverdale in better shape than Marty left oakland. His last year there he was there physically and thats it!! Maybe its because riverdale had more coaches and the fact that Oakland II had just opened across the street, when he left there was nothing. I don't think he worried about developing that program his last year maybe two

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son's 4 best friends were on the 99 team that was undefeated in the regular season, but lost in the first round of the playoffs to Dickson County. All four guys had schools interested in them. I saw their letters. The recruiters asked for film and stats from the HEAD coach.Rankin was so angry with all of those seniors that he refused to call back any of the recruiters or send any film on the guys to any colleges. All four were good enough to play at the next level. I am not saying D-1, but they were good enough to play college football. They were not allowed to step foot in the locker room after the game and Rankin threw all their belongings outside on the grass. Ones eyeglasses got broken......and several had money gone and pictures ruined. They were called LOSERS, and told they were not allowed to attend the banquet. There was a big stink from several parents and letters were in the DNJ Letters to the Editor about this whole situation.

Rankin also did NOT attend the All Region Banquet that celebrated his players and one that he regularly received the Coach of the Yr award.....b/c it was his family time.

Ask Lost Old Dad about HIS son who graduated last yr who was definitely good enough to play at the next level.

Don't get me started..........

At least he left riverdale in better shape than Marty left oakland. His last year there he was there physically and thats it!! Maybe its because riverdale had more coaches and the fact that Oakland II had just opened across the street, when he left there was nothing. I don't think he worried about developing that program his last year maybe two

Marty had no control over the zone lines. It was bad enough to battle Hulan Watson who granted exemptions like candy to athletes from our zone. But to have to watch Kenny Nolan do the same at Siegel was too much for him.. Do you realize that we were left with FOUR seniors and 3 of them were zoned Siegel but chose to finish up at OHS? Kids tried to get exemptions to OHS and were denied. We lost 17 players to Siegel.....17. That is a LOT. There was plenty of double-dealing when Marty was at Oakland. The Nolan brothers traded baseball players for Oakland's dynasty for football players for Riverdale's dynasty. It was done on a regular basis.

Marty was offered the Siegel head coach and so was Randy King......neither wanted any part of what was to come.

We lost just about every coach from Oakland's staff.....only Ferg and Moose remain from Marty's last staff. Everyone else bailed when they saw what the zone lines were going to do to Oakland. I don't think you really realize all the politics in this.

Edited by 2priceless

My son's 4 best friends were on the 99 team that was undefeated in the regular season, but lost in the first round of the playoffs to Dickson County. All four guys had schools interested in them. I saw their letters. The recruiters asked for film and stats from the HEAD coach.Rankin was so angry with all of those seniors that he refused to call back any of the recruiters or send any film on the guys to any colleges. All four were good enough to play at the next level. I am not saying D-1, but they were good enough to play college football. They were not allowed to step foot in the locker room after the game and Rankin threw all their belongings outside on the grass. Ones eyeglasses got broken......and several had money gone and pictures ruined. They were called LOSERS, and told they were not allowed to attend the banquet. There was a big stink from several parents and letters were in the DNJ Letters to the Editor about this whole situation.

Rankin also did NOT attend the All Region Banquet that celebrated his players and one that he regularly received the Coach of the Yr award.....b/c it was his family time.

Ask Lost Old Dad about HIS son who graduated last yr who was definitely good enough to play at the next level.

Don't get me started..........

so let me get this str8....coach rankin didnt give the players their letters and yet you saw them hmmmm sounds like a contradiction to me...as far as players not going to college?...we have sent a lot of players to colleges now they may not hvae been D1 but they have had lots of contacts and i know a lot of kids have gone on college trips so i am going to respectfully disagree with your assesment of coach rankin also...some of you have mentioned he moves his family everywhere well he was at riverdale for almost 15 years and i think his oldest son might be 15 now so moving to alcoa was his first move since hes had kids but that is just me doing a llittle math...

riverdaleman nailed the point i was trying to make...but no everything HAS to be a conspiracy, HAS to be dirty dealings and such. rankin could be in love with his money but 2p was the one who brought it to my attention last year that he's pretty well off from family being involved in the fuel industry. if your trying to build a wealth impire im not sure being a high school football coach is the route i would take. but yea he cares about no one. should rankin have handled the college recruiters? maybe, but did you ever think some of his assistants might have been designated to do that? wyant always seemed to be the guy getting the information out to everyone (and the booster club and such). and countless times college recruiters came into the weight room during school hours to talk about players and talked to coach white because coach rankin was out around town with his drivers ed class.

and all this is coming from a guy who is not sure rankin even would know his name. i was a sophmore and one of 100 players, but i think its rediculous to say he didnt care. and supposedly he's not a family man, his son was basically part of the team. he tries to make his players buy into a family system as a team. i got plenty of quotes to support that to if you care to hear them

LOD, only thing ONE WAY is your opinions. rankin might not be your sons favorite person either, but i know he's not sour at him like you. you say you wish he had gone to oakland, would he have got a scholarship there? maybe...would he have got a ring? heck no. he was a heck of a high school olineman, one of the quickest and most powerful ive seen, but you said it yourself colleges wanted him as a linebacker.

so let me get this str8....coach rankin didnt give the players their letters and yet you saw them hmmmm sounds like a contradiction to me...as far as players not going to college?...we have sent a lot of players to colleges now they may not hvae been D1 but they have had lots of contacts and i know a lot of kids have gone on college trips so i am going to respectfully disagree with your assesment of coach rankin also...some of you have mentioned he moves his family everywhere well he was at riverdale for almost 15 years and i think his oldest son might be 15 now so moving to alcoa was his first move since hes had kids but that is just me doing a llittle math...

The letters came to their house.......they asked for stats from the head coach. The head coach refused to send them. Serious recruiters don't accept anything from less than the head coach.

He stayed at Riverdale for a long time, but kept the offseason in turmoil constantly with interviews at other schools w/o telling the players. Then he got that fat check from the boosters to stay ( that was NOT shared with any assistants). You know the drill.....and so do we all.

You have to admit that we have spiced up the thread with the mere mention of the name.....hahahahahaahha.

BTW...at Oakland, our head coach always goes to the Booster meetings.........no matter when the meetings are. He doesn't send a designee or clipboard carrier.

I said he missed the All Region banquets and such B/C he said it was his family's time. I never once said he wasn't a family man. He definitely was and that is a plus in my book. But you expect your players to work out yr round, so he should be doing the same. After all, a coaching supplement is paid yr round. Right?

i am just interested in seeing what coaches he brings in & what coaches he takes out for next season for the warriors. hey 2p any changes going on @ oakland?

I have no clue. I know they have been interviewing, but don't know if anyone has been hired in or not. They may have to wait to see what teaching slots will be open. As far as I know, we didn't lose any of our current staff.

also i just remembered his father had some very serious health problems in 05 during the playoffs (im not sure if he made it through them or not) and i believe the assistants told us they werent even sure if he would make it to the oak ridge game (that or cookeville). he was there but i think that explains why he didnt ride on the bus on the way back (like that was some kind of huge deal anyways and LOD supposedly has a direct quote) because he hadnt rode to the game on the bus.

ask your son, heck if cantstopthechop gets on he can confirm this too

also i just remembered his father had some very serious health problems in 05 during the playoffs (im not sure if he made it through them or not) and i believe the assistants told us they werent even sure if he would make it to the oak ridge game (that or cookeville). he was there but i think that explains why he didnt ride on the bus on the way back (like that was some kind of huge deal anyways and LOD supposedly has a direct quote) because he hadnt rode to the game on the bus.

ask your son, heck if cantstopthechop gets on he can confirm this too

Confirmed lol