If It walks like a Duck

pujo

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they pay taxes for the county schools and vote on school board members in their county, but then send their children to a differnt county. Hmmmmm. thats sounds wierd. I dont see how thats legal either. Liek I said when the split happens and I cant wait until it does. These open zone situations would be the next thing to consider in publics, and paid assistance in the privates.

You keep saying When the split happens. It may indeed be inevitable but i just wanted to tell you that the TSSAA does not even have it anywhere near their list of things to consider right now...

MPHS....If you stick around here long enough and keep your ears open you can learn a lot of things that are very apparent you don`t know. Stop and listen before you start making assumptions. Better yet, ask questions.

remember when you point that finger at me, three are pointing back at yourself. so your post goes for you also buddy.

MP is is Maury Co. and they do not have open zones. If and when the public and private split happens, that issue would need to be addressed. However, even with an open zone you can still only draw kids from that county, not 9 different ones.

When I lived in Maury County (and that has been a few years longer ago than I care to admit) each high school in the county offered a unique class or set of classes so that anyone in the county could go to that school by saying they wanted to take that course. For instance, if I wanted to go to Culleoka, I could say that I wanted to take "Okra Growing for Beginners" or whatever their unique course offering was and I could be admitted (assuming there was space). I don't know if that is still the case or not, but I know of several athletes at various Maury County Schools when I was in high school that got into their specific school in just that way.

When I lived in Maury County (and that has been a few years longer ago than I care to admit) each high school in the county offered a unique class or set of classes so that anyone in the county could go to that school by saying they wanted to take that course. For instance, if I wanted to go to Culleoka, I could say that I wanted to take "Okra Growing for Beginners" or whatever their unique course offering was and I could be admitted (assuming there was space). I don't know if that is still the case or not, but I know of several athletes at various Maury County Schools when I was in high school that got into their specific school in just that way.

Not sure if that still happens. I do know the middle school in MP has an arts department (drama) that has all the bells and whistles, but I'm not sure it draws people from all over the county.

Supersteve...that`s the way it is in Memphis too. A few years ago Memphis Hamilton won a state champioship in basketball and not one of their starters lived in the Hamilton zone.

They were ALL enrolled in Hamilton`s Dry Cleaning classes. Of course Todd Day who was on that team was fortunate enough to make a living in the NBA. :rolleyes:

Not sure if that still happens. I do know the middle school in MP has an arts department (drama) that has all the bells and whistles, but I'm not sure it draws people from all over the county.

I'm certainly not making any accusations. I have no grounds upon which to make such. I just wanted to point out that there are ways to get around the "we have to take the kids in our zone and that's it" argument. At least in many areas in the public arena the POTENTIAL for abuse exists. I know that potential exists in the private school setting as well. I guess my point is that if you want to "work the system" to either stretch the rules or go borderline unethical, that can be done in either public or private.

I'm certainly not making any accusations. I have no grounds upon which to make such. I just wanted to point out that there are ways to get around the "we have to take the kids in our zone and that's it" argument. At least in many areas in the public arena the POTENTIAL for abuse exists. I know that potential exists in the private school setting as well. I guess my point is that if you want to "work the system" to either stretch the rules or go borderline unethical, that can be done in either public or private.

I agree, and with a split it i think it could be patrolled better by TSSAA.