SEQUOYAH FOOTBALL

red,white,& BLUE

Well things are not always what they appear.SEQ.1ST coach was STAFF,he came from WEBB.Then you had MEADOWS who came from PORTLAND.Then their was SMITH who came from middle TENN.somewhere.Then there was KURLEY he was a assit.under MEADOWS at SEQ.Then came HOLLOWAY who was from GA.

HOLLOWAY was the only 1 hired out of state.Its not where you come from,its what you can get done.You have to know football and your players.Your players have to believe in you and what your doing.AS 1 guy said,i would run through a brick wall for my coach when i played.Thats what you want from your players.You have to be the type of coach that can see talent and where to put it.Kids have to know that you will do what you say,and you have to adapt to your talent level.Kids grad.ever year ,so each year brings different talent.

You are correct except for Meadows. Everyone of these people listed came from outside of Monroe County. Everyone of these people left or was asked to leave after 2 short years. To build a program, (1) it has to be a real commitment from the person being hired to stay put and get the job done and (2) the administration, community, and kids have to be committed to the man they hire!! Both of these keys have been lacking at Sequoyah High School. I have great repect for everyone in Madisonville and Vonore. I wish you the greatest success in the world.

I am finished with this thread.

Edited by Bill#49

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct except for Meadows. Everyone of these people listed came from outside of Monroe County. Everyone of these people left or was asked to leave after 2 short years. To build a program, (1) it has to be a real commitment from the person being hired to stay put and get the job done and (2) the administration, community, and kids have to be committed to the man they hire!! Both of these keys have been lacking at Sequoyah High School. I have great repect for everyone in Madisonville and Vonore. I wish you the greatest success in the world.

I am finished with this thread.

I think he was from GA. But i'm pretty sure he was at PORTLAND when he was hired at SEQUOYAH.But i would not put money on that.And coach KURLEY was here 4 years has a head coach.

If you read me correctly I mentioned nothing about a Vonore coach going to Sequoyah. But I have heard some of those same rumors. I was just addressing the lack of support issue mentioned by someone earlier. As I said, there are still a lot of people in Vonore hoping to get their own high school. Most people believe that Sequoyah is simply a newer Madisonville high school. There are still people (from all parts of the county) that will refer to Sequoyah as Madisonville. So, you ask why there isn't a whole lot of Vonore support, well it's because most people think of Sequoyah as Madisonville and not Madisonville and Vonore.

After reading all of these posts about the condition of football at SHS it seems that the biggest rift is people having issues with being from Madisonville or Vonore. This is understandable considering the long rivalry that existed between these two but, the only rivalry that apparently is at the High School level now between these two is probably coming from parents and not the kids. Guess what parents your time in black and gold and blue and white is long gone... accept it. I understand the booster support is good but guess what... the boosters that do the work are probably the parents of the kids playing and not the general community and of the parents of the kids that are involved only a small percentage probably do most of the work. Instead of blasting your coach and worrying about who is from Madisonville and who is from Vonore you all need to realize that all of the kids on the field are from SHS and support them equally. Feel free to criticize this post all you want since I'm not in your community I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I did grow up a hated blue and gold Wildcat so I do understand how many of you think about rivalries between one another... but then again I wear red and white now since that what my kids wear and all of my clothes fit fine when I'm in the stands even when the blue and gold is on the other side. By the way thanks for Coach Staff!

I hope that this job gets filled by someone who wants to be there. It seems that area should be able to turn out some good teams. Bill it seems like you are bitter about the way the process has been in the past but that gives you no reason to continue to degrade the program. Maybe you should have applied and explained to them in the interview (if you got one) what you could do to make the job a good one.

I hope that this job gets filled by someone who wants to be there. It seems that area should be able to turn out some good teams. Bill it seems like you are bitter about the way the process has been in the past but that gives you no reason to continue to degrade the program. (1) No I am not bitter. I am very thankful to be at my school and I count those blessings every day I get to be around the people here. (2) I would not consider what I have said to be degrading anyone. I think Sequoyah High is a very good school. They just need to fine a coach who wants to be there more than just a few years. Maybe you should have applied and explained to them in the interview (if you got one) what you could do to make the job a good one. (1) I am happy were I am at is the reason I didn't apply. (2) I have applied at Sequoyah on at least three occassions and it didn't work out that I was hired. I do not have a grudge toward anyone. Vonore has and always will be a very special place in my heart. Good luck to Sequoyah!

After reading all of these posts about the condition of football at SHS it seems that the biggest rift is people having issues with being from Madisonville or Vonore. This is understandable considering the long rivalry that existed between these two but, the only rivalry that apparently is at the High School level now between these two is probably coming from parents and not the kids. Guess what parents your time in black and gold and blue and white is long gone... accept it. I understand the booster support is good but guess what... the boosters that do the work are probably the parents of the kids playing and not the general community and of the parents of the kids that are involved only a small percentage probably do most of the work. Instead of blasting your coach and worrying about who is from Madisonville and who is from Vonore you all need to realize that all of the kids on the field are from SHS and support them equally. Feel free to criticize this post all you want since I'm not in your community I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I did grow up a hated blue and gold Wildcat so I do understand how many of you think about rivalries between one another... but then again I wear red and white now since that what my kids wear and all of my clothes fit fine when I'm in the stands even when the blue and gold is on the other side. By the way thanks for Coach Staff!

BINGO we have a winner :lol:

and Bingo we have a winner means?

what?

The new coach has been selected.

or

Bill 49 and red nation know the coaching history of Sequoyah.

I believe that Bingo was in agreement with dwhask. Whoever they hire as the new Headcoach needs the support of both Madisonville and Vonore. From what is being said seems to be some good candidates. I hope the powers that be will hire the right guy! One thing all the past coachs had in common they were all assistants with no headcoaching experience. Not saying their isn't any asst. that would do a good job, but it can be like shooting in the dark. So maybe a coach with headcoaching experience is what we need?