SEQUOYAH FOOTBALL

red,white,& BLUE

When Holloway first came to Sequoyah, I was one of the many who were excited about what he was saying. In the beginning he said his game plan was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. We were going to pass so infrequently that we would catch them off guard. We would have key players in key positions. The team would be well disciplined and everyone would be busy during practice. (No more standing around.)

Shortly after the start of the first season, I became one of the many who questioned his knowledge of football. Three yards and a cloud of dust suggests quick, powerful, well executed offensive plays that would allow us to get down the field without stopping the clock. That's what we thought we were getting. What we got was an all option offense that was so slow the defense either met us in the backfield, or was waiting on us at the line of scrimmage. We rarely ran the ball with anyone out of the backfield lead blocking to support the ball carrier. He was on his own to dodge and dart and get what he could. We had so many different plays and formations with different players, it was impossible to practice all of them enough to execute well on game night. Almost all of our time-outs were used because a play had been called that required a different set of backs.

Passing infrequently suggests that our running game would be strong enough to put points on the board but we would pass occasionally to keep the defense from keying on the run. Because our running game was so inadequate, the pass turned into a crutch. We passed the ball often just because our slow, poorly ececuted, all option offense wasn't working. Since there wasn't enough time to practice all of our many plays and formations, the passing game didn't work either.

Many games are won or lost because of a great kick off return or punt return or because the kicking team was able to pin the receiving team deep in their own territory. I was immediately alarmed when the coach said he planned to use younger players in these situations. These could all be opportunities to change the momentum of a game and rarely would you be able to field a team of freshmen and sophomores able to out perform the opposing team of juniors and seniors. Special teams need key people in key positions as much as offense or defense.

The discipline of the team in Holloway's first season was a great improvement over the previous years. We had alot of players his first year and all of the players were involved in practice. Rarely did you see anyone standing around or walking to or from the huddle. The players seemed proud, and profanity was almost unheard. In the second season, this changed. We had less players on the team and the ones that were there didn't seem to have the pride or confidence of the previous team. Profanity was heard more frequently from players and Holloway. Walking to and from huddles became the norm and half of the team stood and watched while the other half practiced.

We had a lot of tallent the past two years and have a lot more coming up. If we would have stayed with three yards and a cloud of dust, infrequent passing, key players in key positions and strong discipline, I think we would be in totally different situation. We'd all be patting Holloway on the back and glad to see him coming back. We'd be excited about next year. His offense didn't work but it's obvious he was determined to live or die by the option. He did it his way!

Edited by red,white,and BLUE

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Holloway first came to Sequoyah, I was one of the many who were excited about what he was saying. In the beginning he said his game plan was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. We were going to pass so infrequently that we would catch them off guard. We would have key players in key positions. The team would be well disciplined and everyone would be busy during practice. (No more standing around.)

Shortly after the start of the first season, I became one of the many who questioned his knowledge of football. Three yards and a cloud of dust suggests quick, powerful, well executed offensive plays that would allow us to get down the field without stopping the clock. That's what we thought we were getting. What we got was an all option offense that was so slow the defense either met us in the backfield, or was waiting on us at the line of scrimmage. We rarely ran the ball with anyone out of the backfield lead blocking to support the ball carrier. He was on his own to dodge and dart and get what he could. We had so many different plays and formations with different players, it was impossible to practice all of them enough to execute well on game night. Almost all of our time-outs were used because a play had been called that required a different set of backs.

Passing infrequently suggests that our running game would be strong enough to put points on the board but we would pass occasionally to keep the defense from keying on the run. Because our running game was so inadequate, the pass turned into a crutch. We passed the ball often just because our slow, poorly ececuted, all option offense wasn't working. Since there wasn't enough time to practice all of our many plays and formations, the passing game didn't work either.

Many games are won or lost because of a great kick off return or punt return or because the kicking team was able to pin the receiving team deep in their own territory. I was immediately alarmed when the coach said he planned to use younger players in these situations. These could all be opportunities to change the momentum of a game and rarely would you be able to field a team of freshmen and sophomores able to out perform the opposing team of juniors and seniors. Special teams need key people in key positions as much as offense or defense.

The discipline of the team in Holloway's first season was a great improvement over the previous years. We had alot of players his first year and all of the players were involved in practice. Rarely did you see anyone standing around or walking to or from the huddle. The players seemed proud, and profanity was almost unheard. In the second season, this changed. We had less players on the team and the ones that were there didn't seem to have the pride or confidence of the previous team. Profanity was heard more frequently from players and Holloway. Walking to and from huddles became the norm and half of the team stood and watched while the other half practiced.

We had a lot of tallent the past two years and have a lot more coming up. If we would have stayed with three yards and a cloud of dust, infrequent passing, key players in key positions and strong discipline, I think we would be in totally different situation. We'd all be patting Holloway on the back and glad to see him coming back. We'd be excited about next year. His offense didn't work but it's obvious he was determined to live or die by the option. He did it his way!

rwBLUE I can't disagree with most of what you say with one exception I never heard Holloway use profanity or do I believe that the kids used it without being punished(if they were heard). I strongly agree that the talent base is there to compete in their region year in and year out. There have been many improvements at SHS the last couple of years due mainly I believe to a rejuvenated booster club. I beleive they now have a state of the art weight room, new practice field(with irriagation), blocking sled, new uniforms, computers to help break down film, and a projection system to show film to the kids and I believe all of this has been done in less than a two year period. I would bet that the booster club is willing to "help" in hiring a new coach. It has been a dissapointing time at SHS but I do believe that things are changing in a very postive way.

I am glad to see some positive posts finally. You know it is easy to be critical of a coach especially if the program is struggling, but what it all boils down to is stability. As long as the carousel continues at Sequoyah, the program will continue to struggle. No matter who the coach is, he needs support. I know each coach has had some support, but there hasn't been a coach yet that has gotten full support. Both communities, Vonore and Madisonville, needs to quit complaining about which town is represented the most. Sure Vonore would like to have their own school again, but the fact of the matter remains that its not happening and this is the school their kids are attending. The Vonore-Madisonville seperation needs to end, it has for the most part with the kids. To prove this point, just look at some of the former coaches and what has happened since they left Sequoyah. David Staff, the first coach for the Chiefs, now at Sweetwater and deep in the playoffs, Scott Meadows, 2 state championships at Alcoa, a brief stint at UT, playoffs with Jefferson County, now a playoff team at William Blount. Steve Smith went back to Crockett County as an assistant, another playoff team. Don Kerley is the only one I am not sure of his location now, but the point is, these coaches have found success because of the support the program has got. I understand we question some of the coaches abilities, and rightly so in some cases, but I think we need to begin to examine our own support of the program as a lack of success in the program, myself included. look back at the Nathan Brackett-led team that was in the playoffs. Standing room only at most of the games, people cheering the team, not complaining about the coaches. This is not a knock in any way, just an example, but even as bad as the records were at Vonore, one thing you could always count on was the stands being full and very supportive of their teams. What has happened? Are we too proud to support the same kids in a different uniform? A coach can only be as good as the program is. I am in no way defending any coach, just questioning the support. How can we have a winning program at Sequoyah? Give it 100% support.

I am glad to see some positive posts finally. You know it is easy to be critical of a coach especially if the program is struggling, but what it all boils down to is stability. As long as the carousel continues at Sequoyah, the program will continue to struggle. No matter who the coach is, he needs support. I know each coach has had some support, but there hasn't been a coach yet that has gotten full support. Both communities, Vonore and Madisonville, needs to quit complaining about which town is represented the most. Sure Vonore would like to have their own school again, but the fact of the matter remains that its not happening and this is the school their kids are attending. The Vonore-Madisonville seperation needs to end, it has for the most part with the kids. To prove this point, just look at some of the former coaches and what has happened since they left Sequoyah. David Staff, the first coach for the Chiefs, now at Sweetwater and deep in the playoffs, Scott Meadows, 2 state championships at Alcoa, a brief stint at UT, playoffs with Jefferson County, now a playoff team at William Blount. Steve Smith went back to Crockett County as an assistant, another playoff team. Don Kerley is the only one I am not sure of his location now, but the point is, these coaches have found success because of the support the program has got. I understand we question some of the coaches abilities, and rightly so in some cases, but I think we need to begin to examine our own support of the program as a lack of success in the program, myself included. look back at the Nathan Brackett-led team that was in the playoffs. Standing room only at most of the games, people cheering the team, not complaining about the coaches. This is not a knock in any way, just an example, but even as bad as the records were at Vonore, one thing you could always count on was the stands being full and very supportive of their teams. What has happened? Are we too proud to support the same kids in a different uniform? A coach can only be as good as the program is. I am in no way defending any coach, just questioning the support. How can we have a winning program at Sequoyah? Give it 100% support.

Bottom line is that the ingredients necessary to be competitive at SHS year in year out is in place. I don't think you could say that a couple of years ago.

There are divisions in any community. The main thing is the kids are united and want to win for "Sequoyah" they could care less from which middle school you came from. In each of the coaches mentioned there were "issues" that I will not go into here. Winning does calm alot of souls. It also brings out the support. In my honest opinion for what that is worth the right coach will look at Sequoyah as a great oppurtunity. The kids are what will in the end make the difference. The ingriedents are all there, they just need the right Chef to blend, mix and bake.

I agree I think there is plenty of talent at Sequoyah to compete. There has been several players repesent SQHS in college over the past few years. I think that says a lot about the school. However, it is the present and not the past we are talking about. I watched Sequoyah play two games this past season and they played uninspired football in each game. They quit after the first drive against Sweetwater and they couldn't get anything going against Tellico except for turnovers. There has to be some players (not coaches) step up and be leaders and I didn't see that in the 2 games I seen.

Also, the stands were packed at the Sweetwater (home) and Tellico (away) games. I stood along the fence at each game. The support IS there. As far as the support from Vonore goes, when I played at Vonore the stands were packed with people that weren't parents of players or cheerleaders. You are correct that there is not a lot of support from Vonore, but to make a long story short the rivalry between Madisonville and Vonore still exists with some people. It is a known fact that most people in Vonore would love to have a new high school of their own.

rwBLUE I can't disagree with most of what you say with one exception I never heard Holloway use profanity or do I believe that the kids used it without being punished(if they were heard). I strongly agree that the talent base is there to compete in their region year in and year out. There have been many improvements at SHS the last couple of years due mainly I believe to a rejuvenated booster club. I beleive they now have a state of the art weight room, new practice field(with irriagation), blocking sled, new uniforms, computers to help break down film, and a projection system to show film to the kids and I believe all of this has been done in less than a two year period. I would bet that the booster club is willing to "help" in hiring a new coach. It has been a dissapointing time at SHS but I do believe that things are changing in a very postive way.

I agree with you Red Chief. There have been many improvements in the last two years. I credit most of them to the booster club and the efforts they have made to increase community support. There is a definate lack of support from both communities. As a Vonore graduate, it was difficult for me to shift my support to a team that was anything but blue and white, but I have. I think the painting of the dressing room was a great idea. The way the artist added blue and black to the Sequoyah school colors was an excellent way to show that both schools are still present and neither is overlooked. To me it says, from many; one. As for the profanity, I know that almost all of the kids in high school have heard it all, and most of them use the minor words in an effort to sound mature. I have never heard Holloway address the team using any inappropriate language. I heard that in a 1 on 1 situation, but I trust my source on the team issue.

I have seen this job open on a couple of occasions before. Do the powers that be really want the program to succeed? That sounds stupid but to better state it; are they willing to make it possible to be successful there. I know a couple of coaches who would be a good fit for that type of program. It seems that you need someone with some experience, discipline, work ethic and can get a split community fired up. Spurrier is already taken

I have seen this job open on a couple of occasions before. Do the powers that be really want the program to succeed? That sounds stupid but to better state it; are they willing to make it possible to be successful there. I know a couple of coaches who would be a good fit for that type of program. It seems that you need someone with some experience, discipline, work ethic and can get a split community fired up. Spurrier is already taken

Thats pretty good(spurrier)! That is not a stupid question at all. In fact in the past I could not honestly answer that question with fact based evidence. If you will look back at one of my post you will see that a revitalized booster club, state of the art weight room, new practice field with irragation, computers for film breakdown, projection for team film study,new uniforms, and a blocking sled all in less than two years, does indicate a "current" commitment to the program. I think to refrence it as a split community is a little strong(you couldn't have gotten done what they have gotten done in less than two years without working together). Sure some of the parents still get all bent about it but the kids just simply don't care. I also understand that the Booster club intends to "help" in a major way towards hiring a new coach. So I can honestly answer your question that yes they are willing to make it possible to be successful at Sequoyah. Ok Spurrier is off the list you said a couple coaches so who is next!

I agree with Red Chief about the booster club's support and willingness to come together and make things happen for our school, community, and kids. But when I read "getright's" comments, I felt like he was referring to support from school leadership and central office. The Booster Club can offer to "help" getting a coach all they want, but the principal and director of schools will make the ultimate decision. They are the ones now, who need to be urged to hire the right kind of coach. In no way do I mean harassing the principal, a.d., or director of schools, but those who are concerned for our kids need to speak up and let their concerns be known.

I agree with Red Chief about the booster club's support and willingness to come together and make things happen for our school, community, and kids. But when I read "getright's" comments, I felt like he was referring to support from school leadership and central office. The Booster Club can offer to "help" getting a coach all they want, but the principal and director of schools will make the ultimate decision. They are the ones now, who need to be urged to hire the right kind of coach. In no way do I mean harassing the principal, a.d., or director of schools, but those who are concerned for our kids need to speak up and let their concerns be known.

Ok red white and blue please do me a favor and leave my name off of the vent. I have moved on in my life. You really need to think before you say things. Some things I would like to clear up though. (1) The booster club has done some really good things but I will say that they do not need to have any involvement in who the coach might be. (2) You are very right about me coming in and changing things the first year. The one obvious difference was that in the first year we had 4 paid assistants and 2 volunteers. This year only one paid assistant in the school. Yes it does make a difference. Yes I am blamed for them quitting, but if you want things to change then things have to change. (3) Some of the comments about my coaching methods are fine with me but the one about the use of profanity is bull. If you weren't out there everyday going through the practices you have no right to comment on what you think was or was not being taught. (4) The last obvious thing you don't know is about special teams. We used as many of the older kids as we could, but they do get tired and need breaks sometimes. By the way I sit a figured it out and there was at least 7 starters on either offense and defense at all times. Our punt return was the first defense except one person. The punt team we took out some of the slower lineman and put in some faster players to cover. Kickoff and Kickoff return were pretty much the offensive and defensive team that started. Once again you show that you really didn't know what you are talking about. Oh well I guess I just should leave the mouth running to you'll and laugh at the errors you make. All I ask is to please leave my name and god forbid any of the players names off this vent. Thank You

Jeff Holloway