Split the schools into classifications

bowlindog

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3,200? The TSSAA website reports McGavock with only 2,592, but that's not important.

Anyway, if bowling was broken down with Class A, AA and AAA, i doubt you would have enough teams to have a decent state tournament. Breaking bowling into classes like this would water down the quality of the bowling.

Think about it, do you want a Class A champion shooting something like 2,500 in the finals? You've already got something similar to that with the Division II teams shooting very medicore scores compared to the Public schools and winning State Championships. The State isn't about making everyone feel good by winning, it's about rewarding quality perfomance.

The size of the school doesn't matter. Either you have bowlers or you don't.

Division 2 scores aren't as bad as you make out. McCallie shot 3559 in the finals last year. That would not have won division 1, but if you line up their scores with the Hixson scores from last years finals Hixson would have won (17.5-9.5).

That's closer than Hixson came to Smyrna in the finals (19.5-7.5). That's also better than Dobyns Bennett shot in their match (3508) , better than Mt Juliet in their 2 matches (3557 and 3498), better than both of Hendersonvilles scores (3417 and 3544), better than Cumberland Gap ( 3059) and almost as good as Brighton ( 3597 ).

The year before that McCallie won Division 2 with a 3788 and Baylor shot a 3549 to lose the final match. In case your calculator is broke, 3788 is not mediocre.

3 years ago Christian Brothers shot 3519 in the finals to win Division 2 and Hendersonville shot 3560 to win Division 1. 41 pins difference in 18 games or about 2.2 pins per bowler.

Division 1 is better than 2, and deeper. But the winners of division 2 the last 3 years would be competiive against Div 1 and those scores were not mediocre and that's not debatable.

And where in the heck did you get a score of 2500? Thats an average of 138 per game. If they ever do break it down into A,AA and AAA and the A wins with a 2500, or anywhere close to that, I'll buy you the ball and bag of your choice.

Division 2 scores aren't as bad as you make out. McCallie shot 3559 in the finals last year. That would not have won division 1, but if you line up their scores with the Hixson scores from last years finals Hixson would have won (17.5-9.5).

That's closer than Hixson came to Smyrna in the finals (19.5-7.5). That's also better than Dobyns Bennett shot in their match (3508) , better than Mt Juliet in their 2 matches (3557 and 3498), better than both of Hendersonvilles scores (3417 and 3544), better than Cumberland Gap ( 3059) and almost as good as Brighton ( 3597 ).

The year before that McCallie won Division 2 with a 3788 and Baylor shot a 3549 to lose the final match. In case your calculator is broke, 3788 is not mediocre.

3 years ago Christian Brothers shot 3519 in the finals to win Division 2 and Hendersonville shot 3560 to win Division 1. 41 pins difference in 18 games or about 2.2 pins per bowler.

Division 1 is better than 2, and deeper. But the winners of division 2 the last 3 years would be competiive against Div 1 and those scores were not mediocre and that's not debatable.

And where in the heck did you get a score of 2500? Thats an average of 138 per game. If they ever do break it down into A,AA and AAA and the A wins with a 2500, or anywhere close to that, I'll buy you the ball and bag of your choice.

im glad finally said something like this just to prove to every one that div 2 isnt as bad as u think. ill agree that div 1 is better, but i hate it when people say div 2 isnt worth anything. so thanks larjoranj for posting that stuff. and why do you want to change everything. i dont see how splitting up the schools well help. i mean if you cant get to state all i got to say is BOWL BETTER. and what catsbackr said earlier about haveing bowlers is ture. you either have bowlers or you dont. bowling isnt a thing you learn over night. and the size thing doesnt matter at all. look at hixson, 900 students and they have the best chance to win state. its all about having bowlers

Edited by figter2989

Its funny I guess that Mr. Tribue lied when he told us that we had 3,158(unofficial)

Its hard to believe that he added 600.....

And your right we shold dominate in EVERY SPORT, but like Tommy said we don't have the sport/school spirt, so therefore we have to take what we can get, and make the best of it...

There are soo many Athletes in McGavock, that don't play any sport.....

A lot of the time its because our sports are so "crappy"

But the only way to make a bad team good is to add talent....

We have one sub, thats it.....

Well 3 but one aves 120, maybe less, and the other like 130....

Our other sub deserves to start, and MARK my words he will start at state, and regionals....

Its funny I guess that Mr. Tribue lied when he told us that we had 3,158(unofficial)

Its hard to believe that he added 600.....

And your right we shold dominate in EVERY SPORT, but like Tommy said we don't have the sport/school spirt, so therefore we have to take what we can get, and make the best of it...

There are soo many Athletes in McGavock, that don't play any sport.....

A lot of the time its because our sports are so "crappy"

But the only way to make a bad team good is to add talent....

We have one sub, thats it.....

Well 3 but one aves 120, maybe less, and the other like 130....

Our other sub deserves to start, and MARK my words he will start at state, and regionals....

Who, pray tell, is Mr. Tribue?

The 2,592 number is from the TSSAA website, calendar year 2006.

Ahh, and might YOU be that one other sub?

And, Merry Christmas, by the way!

Who, pray tell, is Mr. Tribue?

The 2,592 number is from the TSSAA website, calendar year 2006.

Ahh, and might YOU be that one other sub?

And, Merry Christmas, by the way!

Mr Tribue is our Principal...

And I am not the other sub...

I have never heard of a Captain being a sub....

Funny huh?

Edited by McGavockBowling07

All I was commenting on in the beginning was that bowling needs to be split into classifications just like all other sports. I believe that this would expand bowling in the state and it is not all about scores (to some people)...it's about the sport.

(By the way the High school I'm at has less than 300 students in grades 7-12 and 22 on the bowling squad boys and girls combined). They are building for today and the future. Not all are great bowlers, but all love the game regardless of the level.

Edited by bowlindog

Splitting division 1 into two classifications would probably encourage some of the smaller schools to field teams. We are a small school but field a team and try to compete with the larger schools, we hold our own but don't have a selection of bowlers to choose from. The larger schools hold try outs and cut players to make a final roster, we take on all students and try to teach them as best we can.

Yes I'll agree that finding quality coaching is difficult but it's funny to me to hear someone complain about that when they live near the larger cities in Tennessee. Nashville, Knoxville & Chattanooga & Memphis have large bowling associations with a large quantity of high average bowlers, TAP THE RESOURCE and you'll find your quality coaches!!

Think about it if you want the sport to grow you have to prvide a reasonable playing field for the teams. If not the small schools won't even try to field a team. Why would they if they get slaughtered every week and have no chance of competing?

All I was commenting on in the beginning was that bowling needs to be split into classifications just like all other sports. I believe that this would expand bowling in the state and it is not all about scores (to some people)...it's about the sport.

(By the way the High school I'm at has less than 300 students in grades 7-12 and 22 on the bowling squad boys and girls combined). They are building for today and the future. Not all are great bowlers, but all love the game regardless of the level.

I understand what you're saying, but talent is talent no matter how big the school. Our school is new and has 936 students. We had to have a co-ed team this year because there wasn't enough interest. Stone was split w/ Cumberland County and fortunately Stone got most of the better bowlers from last year's CCHS team. We have a bowling facility that's handy and plenty of students, but not enough who want to bowl.

I would be more interested in new districts than in having divisions. The TSSAA needs to take another look at how the districts are put together. We are in the same district as Chatt. Central, Bradley, Walker Valley, McMinn ect... An away match for us is an hour and a half drive with a time change. We have to leave at 5:30 in the morning from Crossville tomorrow to bowl at 9:00 eastern time in districts. It just doesn't seem fair that our kids have to not only get up before the chickens but then they have a long bus ride before having to bowl their best.