C. Coffee

HSDAD

WWLD?

What would Logsdon do?

Off the team. There's got to be consequences for crimes - sit out a year. There's got to be redemption - come back the next after you've learned your lesson. One of the main problems with college athletes who continually get into trouble is that all through their lives, their athletic ability is used as a "get out of jail for free card". Learning a tough lesson now might be the best thing that comes out of this.

Very well said.

TCB

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my question to all of you guys who are commenting on this:

WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF YOURS?

You do not have to worry about the outcome of this young man that is his parents concern. You are not the one to be handing out the discipline in this incident. I say to all of you, worry about your own problems and don't stress over the problems of this young man and his family. Basically, in a nutshell, get a LIFE!

You do not have to worry about the outcome of this young man that is his parents concern. You are not the one to be handing out the discipline in this incident. I say to all of you, worry about your own problems and don't stress over the problems of this young man and his family. Basically, in a nutshell, get a LIFE!

Very well said! Don't you agree Hoosierman?

Edited by mtnrasslin

That is exactly the attitude or position that has gotten us into trouble today. We have a social responsibility to all kids and to the sport. What happens to Coffee or any other athlete either damages or helps the sport. Wrestling is supposed to be about the ultimate lesson in Sacrifice, Dedication, Respect, and Character. I see kids with no respect these days. In most cases they behave awfully. It's because parents are to busy until their kid gets disciplined and then they do everything to protect them from the punishment. We need to stand up for what is right in our community and sports. We all have an affect on one another. This is LIFE. Burying your head in the sand is irresponsible.

That is exactly the attitude or position that has gotten us into trouble today. We have a social responsibility to all kids and to the sport. What happens to Coffee or any other athlete either damages or helps the sport. Wrestling is supposed to be about the ultimate lesson in Sacrifice, Dedication, Respect, and Character. I see kids with no respect these days. In most cases they behave awfully. It's because parents are to busy until their kid gets disciplined and then they do everything to protect them from the punishment. We need to stand up for what is right in our community and sports. We all have an affect on one another. This is LIFE. Burying your head in the sand is irresponsible.

Apparently you misinterpreted my post, I did not say I was going to bury my head in the sand. I am saying that I mind my own business and I try to raise my children right, with respect, honor, discipline and to be outstanding young men. If my son messes up he will be disciplined. I can assure you I will not be too busy and then try and get them out of being disciplined. If anything I am harder on my children than the coaches or teachers would be.You say you see kids these days who behave awfully. I am referring to wrestlers in my next sentence. I believe you should try to guide that young man in a positive way and try to get parental support as well, if he messes up, give him a second chance. If he messes up again, he will have to prove to me that he wants to be a part of my team. This may mean sitting out matches, doing extra training, improving grades, whatever you may need to use to motivate this young man in a positive way. If he will not put forth the effort then you should cut him loose. In my opinion, if you keep on giving him chance after chance you are doing the kid absolutely no good and in turn will have about the same effect as burying your head in the sand.

I believe we are in agreement in standing up for what is right in our community and our sport.

Edited by TurkeyBar

I think there is an old saying - Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see - including whats printed in the paper.

Maybe those involved think it is in the best interest to keep this kid involved in athletics until graduation - he could be on a baseball team in the spring hitting balls out of the park. Oh let me guess, we'll start this same thread over on the baseball forum...

You guys sure do gossip like a bunch of old hens!

I think the attitude that some of us are expressing here is that we CoachT screen names of wisdom do not know the details of what happened in this situtation. I know what I have read but that but in no way do I assume that it is an accurate account of what occurred. There are those that do know what happened, and those are the people involved, some of whom are school administrators. They are given the resposibility to sort this thing out and make the best decision for those involved. Perhaps we should let them do their job.

That is not to say that they are omniscient and can not get it wrong. There is less chance of that, however, than a bunch of anonymous folks on the internet spouting off about something they know little about. If those close to incident see wrong doing by the administrators responsible for the resolution, then get rid of them. Otherwise we should accept their decision. Either way, I do not see that it is approriate for a 17-18 year old kid to be publicly flogged by a bunch of nameless folks that know very little about what actually happened.

By the way, it's interesting you say that kids today " in most cases behave awfully". In the wrestling matches and tournaments I have watched over the last several years, which is more than a few, I see, for the most part, hard working, dedicated kids who behave well. There are exceptions of course and they are usually handled just fine by either coaches or parents or both.

Edited by mtnrasslin

I think the attitude that some of us are expressing here is that we CoachT screen names of wisdom do not know the details of what happened in this situtation. I know what I have read but that but in no way do I assume that it is an accurate account of what occurred. There are those that do know what happened, and those are the people involved, some of whom are school administrators. They are given the resposibility to sort this thing out and make the best decision for those involved. Perhaps we should let them do their job.

That is not to say that they are omniscient and can not get it wrong. There is less chance of that, however, than a bunch of anonymous folks on the internet spouting off about something they know little about. If those close to incident see wrong doing by the administrators responsible for the resolution, then get rid of them. Otherwise we should accept their decision. Either way, I do not see that it is approriate for a 17-18 year old kid to be publicly flogged by a bunch of nameless folks that know very little about what actually happened.

By the way, it's interesting you say that kids today " in most cases behave awfully". In the wrestling matches and tournaments I have watched over the last several years, which is more than a few, I see, for the most part, hard working, dedicated kids who behave well. There are exceptions of course and they are usually handled just fine by either coaches or parents or both.

This is one of those incidents that fell in the public domain. As such, there not a privacy issue. Forget the kid's name, it's not important. Most of the opinions have been hypothetically stated as in: "If this happens, then this is what should happen". And besides, this is the internet. It's easy to avoid. Just hit "Control" "Alt" "Delete".

IF a student commits an offense at one school which would resulting in his/her expulsion and IF that school allows him to withdraw from school prior to his/her expulsion and IF the TSSAA allows him/her to participate in sports at his/her new school, they would strongly question the integrity of the original school, the second school, the TSSAA and the parents.

JMHO

No, I don't know all of the details but the question was refering to was basically someone saying mind your own business and let the parents deal with it. I'm speaking beyond the wrestling world and about our youth in general. The point is that we shouldn't bury our heads in the sand for someone else to deal with. We should stand up for what is right and stand firm based on principle. Demand that these kids conduct themselves properly. And as it apply's to wrestling. I have seen what can happen to a team that is not held accountable and made to behave.