Bad Coaches with Winning Records

sumnercountybball

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to ask the question in a different way? Can coaches win with without integrity? Does anyone care about a coach that has bad people management skills but still wins?

This question (and answer to it) is more complex than it seems on the surface. On the one hand you've got the built in question of "what defines a good vs bad coach". In high school ball, I don't care where you are, no one will keep a coaching job if they are a bad representative (and it becomes known) of the school and/or community. Secondly, the question of integrity was mentioned in terms of winning without it. That refers back to question one. Having a lack of integrity implies having a lack of character, being a bad representative, and thus, not being a coach for long. As it comes to "people skills" I have known many many coaches who were loved by players, parents, the school and the community, but could not win if they played a JV schedule. Everybody loved them because they were great organizers and communicators. They stayed around for years because of it. Sometimes keeping players, parents, and the community happy revolves around letting everyone know where you stand and being honest about it. NO ONE likes being manipulated, abused, or disrespected.

If a coach is a manipulator, liar, or disrespectful, most schools won't have them coaching for long, I don't care what their record is. I can think of several coaches who lost jobs because of "questionable" decisions they made ON or OFF the court. In most places, high school sports is still about developing and building character in young people. No principal, school superintendent, parent, or community leader that I have ever heard wants people who do other than that in a high school program. :thumb:

Allow me to ask the question in a different way? Can coaches win with without integrity? Does anyone care about a coach that has bad people management skills but still wins?

when it comes to high school basketball it is not about the coach. all the focus by the coach should be for the player. there are a lot of coaches that do the x and o thing but they dont have good management skills. a good coach is a teacher of the game. the coaches that teach the fundementals of the game are the coaches that are successful. coaches forget sometimes that high school players are still kids and not adults.

• 4 weeks later...

when it comes to high school basketball it is not about the coach. all the focus by the coach should be for the player. there are a lot of coaches that do the x and o thing but they dont have good management skills. a good coach is a teacher of the game. the coaches that teach the fundementals of the game are the coaches that are successful. coaches forget sometimes that high school players are still kids and not adults.

well said, It seems we want the kids to grow up so quick. Learn the unfair things about life early. Some of that is Ok. But what are the good things coaches are teaching. Remember this is high school. Are they teaching loyality, committment, and honesty. Just cut them off the team if you are not being a teacher. There are other teachers that can fill that role or resign and allow other coaches that can fill this role.