Top 20 In 1A

ptguard12

Tops In 1A

1. Red Boiling Springs (17-1) – The Lady Bulldogs reeled off 17 straight wins before falling to a very good Franklin-Simpson team in the Ladies of the South Classic by 1. This team, who is led by the best all-around freshmen in Class A in Laken Leonard, will now gear up for the remaining part of their tough District 7A schedule, beginning with a home game against a pretty good Monterey team on Friday, who boasts another outstanding freshman in Molly Heady.

2. Clarkrange (15-2) – The Lady Buffaloes are playing a “Lady Vols” type schedule as they have faced some of the state’s best in all classifications. However, their recent 22 point loss to AAA Smyrna exploited some weaknesses within their once invincible armor. Despite their two losses, Clarkrange is still, in my opinion, the most balanced team in Class A. With that being said, the Lady Buffaloes should grab two more wins this week as they host both Region 4A opponent Watertown on Tuesday and District 7A team Pickett County on Friday.

3. Gleason (13-0) – The Lady Bulldogs continue to use their extremely fundamental ball playing and smothering defense to help maintain the only undefeated record in Class A. Behind the stellar play and leadership of Kayla Hudson, Gleason easily took down AAA Franklin by 20 before outlasting Abby Andrews and the Collinwood girls by 3 in an exceptional game at the Huntingdon Point Guard Classic. When the season started, the Lady Bulldog’s youthfulness was a grave concern, but thus far, their freshmen have played way beyond their years. Coach Frazier will need his freshmen to continue to contribute as they take on two more District 14A opponents in Halls on Tuesday before hosting Dresden, who is currently tied for second with Lake County in this ten team district, on Friday in a key district game.

4. Collinwood (9-2) – The Trojanettes have struggled over the holiday break as they have fell to both Santa Fe and Gleason by a combined five points. Santa Fe exploited Collinwood’s lack of post defense while Gleason exploited their lack of depth. Despite these two losses, one cannot count out the fact that Collinwood still has the most explosive guard in Class A in Abby Andrews. However, she needs the others around her to contribute every game if the Lady Trojans expect to make it to the 'Boro in March. Collinwood should get two easy road wins this week when they face travel to Culleoka on Tuesday before making the short trip to fellow Wayne County rival Frank Hughes on Friday. Following these two games, the Trojanettes will travel all the way to Memphis where they will face AA power Westview in yet another tough test for the Collinwood girls on a neutral floor.

5. Trinity Christian Academy (12-2) – The Lady Lions have yet to lose to a Class A team this year as their only two losses have come to teams from a very tough District 13AA in Milan and Dyer County. TCA will open District 15A play this week with a much anticipated road game against fellow Top 10 team Scotts Hill before they will travel on the road to play yet another District 13AA team in a young, but very talented, Gibson County team.

6. Summertown (11-2) – The Lady Eagles have more to worry about then their two recent losses to Collinwood and Senatobia, Mississippi. With the ever persistent rumors that inside post presence, Emily Franks, has departed the team, one has to question the state of harmony this once favorite for the Gold Ball team is in. While I have not been able to find out with 100% certainty the status of Franks, I would imagine that she will be back sooner rather then later considering that two of Summertown’s toughest District 12A games of the year are coming up beginning with a very important home district game against Wayne County on Friday.

7. Richland (16-2) – The Lady Raiders have continued their dominance of the state of Alabama as they racked up some more wins at the Lauderdale County Tournament. With the new year approaching, so comes the bulk of Richland’s District 11A schedule beginning with a very important match-up on the road at Moore County on Tuesday. Following that tough game, the Lady Raiders should get two more easy wins as they take on Region 6A opponent Mt. Pleasant at home on Thursday and District 11A foe Columbia Academy on the road on Friday.

8. Wayne County (14-3) – The Lady Cats have recently found an outside shooting game which led to big wins over Region 6A opponent Santa Fe and a string of wins at the Lauderdale County Christmas Tournament. However, the loss of inside post presence Kristen Potete will greatly hurt the Lady Cats depth which could hurt their chances against some quality upcoming district competition. Waynesboro will begin the new year with a string of five away games starting with a huge game at Summertown on Friday.

9. Scotts Hill (12-2) – The Lady Lions are another team who has yet to lose to a team in Class A. The play of Jessica Roberts continues to lead this very balanced team who is poised to make a strong run at the District 15A and Region 8A titles. They will start this week with a game against a very capable Hollow-Rock Bruceton team on Tuesday before beginning their District 15A schedule with a very big game at home on Friday against Crickett Glenn and the Trinity Christian Academy Lady Lions.

10. Santa Fe (9-2) – The Lady Wildcats have an incredible inside game with juniors Macenze White and Lauren Gardner that has led them to one of their best starts in recent history. Throw into the mix a versatile guard/forward in Lindsey Sewell and Santa Fe just might make a run at the District 11A crown. This team should earn two more wins this week as they take on two rather pitiful teams in Mt. Pleasant on Tuesday and Culleoka on Friday.

11. Jackson County (11-5) – The Lady Blue Devils performed well over the Christmas break as they went 5-1, with their only loss coming to AA powerhouse Upperman at the Mid-South Classic. The tough schedule this team has played will only pay off in the long run for this young bunch from Jackson County as they will look to move themselves out of third place in District 7A. This week, their tough schedule continues as they take on AAA Cookeville, a team they lost to earlier in the year, at home on Tuesday before traveling to former district rival AA Livingston Academy on Friday.

12. Oliver Springs (10-5) – The Lady Cats suffered their first loss to a Class A team when they fell to Clarkrange by 8 points in the Mid-South Classic. This week will be a busy one for Coach Christopher’s girls as they have two tough home games against AA Stone Memorial on Tuesday and Knoxville Catholic on Thursday before they get an easy win on the road at Kingston on Friday.

13. Moore County (10-6) – The Raiderettes have won three in a row since losing to Santa Fe by one point back in early December. However, Moore County relies to heavily on the production of guard Vanessa Pincheon and if they expect to compete not only in District 11A but in Region 6A, they will have to learn to spread the ball around a little more. They had better get their act together quickly as they have a very tough week ahead beginning with District 11A frontrunner Richland on Tuesday before hosting AAA Lincoln County on Thursday.

14. Forrest (10-6) – The Lady Rockets have possibly been the most confusing team to figure out thus far this year. One night they show up and defeat a really good team, but the next they fall to another team by a large margin. With the improved play of Summer Waggoner leading the way, Forrest will look to keep their undefeated record in District 9A alive as they host Eagleville on Friday.

15. Lake County (5-2) – The Lady Falcons athleticism has proved to be a crucial factor as they have earned themselves a tie for second in District 14A with Dresden (whom they have beaten already by double-digits. This week brings two more district games for the girls from the most northwest regions of the state as they host a tough team in South Fulton on Tuesday before traveling for an easy win at Humboldt on Friday.

16. Perry County (10-5) – The Lady Vikings are somewhat of a young team this year as they start no seniors and are trying to replace two Class A Miss Basketballs. However, if you are going to beat them, you had better do it now, because doing it in the future may be extremely tough to do considering the strength of this year’s freshmen class and next year’s freshmen class. With that being said, freshman Brooke Warren looks to continue to lead the way for this young team who hosts AA Lewis County on Tuesday before traveling to Hampshire on Friday.

17. Oneida (9-5) – The Lady Indians took a beating from the Forrest Lady Rockets in the Mid-South Classic before rebounding to defeat both Bradford and Baylor. Oneida’s inconsistent play continues to be the biggest concern for this team midway through the season. However, they should get two easy District 4A wins this week as they host Sunbright on Tuesday before going on the road to Coalfield on Friday.

18. Cloudland (8-4) – The Lady Highlanders are another very inconsistent team in Class A this year. It is often times very hard to figure out in which direction this team is actually moving. This week Cloudland will get a rematch at home against AA South Greene on Tuesday before taking on District 1A opponent North Greene on the road on Friday in what should be an easy win.

19. Greenfield (9-3) – Since losing back-to-back District 14A games to Lake County and Gleason, the Lady Yellowjackets have reeled off five straight wins, including two over Region 7A opponents West Carroll and Clarksburg. Greenfield currently stands at a three-way tie for fourth in District 14A with both South Fulton and Union City. The Lady Yellowjackets will need two wins this week over Union City on the road on Tuesday and at home over Peabody on Friday to keep themselves in the hunt for one of those top district tournament seeds.

T20. Manassas (13-5) – The Lady Tigers might just be the surprise team in District 16A this year as they have recorded some quality wins over some average Memphis teams. However, they still will have to get past Middleton, who has owned the district the past couple of years. Manassas will begin their trek to the top of District 16A when they head to Fayette Academy on the 8th.

T20. Grace Baptist Academy (9-2) – Since getting crushed by two District 7A teams in Clarkrange and Jackson County in the two Hall of Fame games, the Lady Golden Eagles have won nine straight. However, one could argue that many JV teams could have won nine straight against the teams GBA has played. Despite that, this sub-state team from a year ago is looking poised to run straight through a very week District 5A, starting with a home game against Silverdale Academy on the 9th.

Edited by ptguard12

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The injury bug is effecting Clarkrange. Lowe will be back soon, but H. Green is done for the season. We played very poorly at Smyrna, but half the team had the stomach virus that has been going around. That was certainly the case against Smyrna. I would love to have another shot at them, but oh well. A few days off will help Clarkrange.

I was very impressed with RBS's play in Kentucky. Congrats and way to represent our district.

Shocked to hear that Summertown has lost Franks. Can anyone confirm this?

Oliver Springs is top 5 worthy.

Oneida can be great on a given night.

Oakdale...they won the Loudon tournament beating York and Loudon! Impressive.

What happened for Madison Magnet?

Moore County will probably develop some consistency over the second part of the year and should be tough come tourney time.

Question for ROPER and Richland fans, why do you all play so many teams from Alabama (besides geography)?

Moore Co. had 2 losses and a 1 point win in ALABAMA over the hoiday break.

I had no idea that they had played over the break. I have not talked to my Moore County source and the games were not reported on here or anywhere else that I have seeen, so I knew nothing about it. Who were the two teams that they lost to and who did they beat. I may have to alter the list.

The injury bug is effecting Clarkrange. Lowe will be back soon, but H. Green is done for the season. We played very poorly at Smyrna, but half the team had the stomach virus that has been going around. That was certainly the case against Smyrna. I would love to have another shot at them, but oh well. A few days off will help Clarkrange.

Clarkrange will be fine despite the injuries. Like I said, they are a very balanced and pretty deep team.

Shocked to hear that Summertown has lost Franks. Can anyone confirm this?

It has been a pretty persistent rumor over the last few days. She is a great competitor and I cannot imagine that she will not return, if she has not already.

Oliver Springs is top 5 worthy.

I fully expect Oliver Springs to work their way towards the top. I am waiting on Kayla Christopher to start playing, night in and night out, like the star I have seen play on the AAU circuit.

Oakdale...they won the Loudon tournament beating York and Loudon! Impressive.

The win over Loudon was pretty impressive considering neither Oliver Springs nor Oneida have been able to pull out the win over this strong AA team. The thing that bothers me most about Oakdale is the loss to an average Scott team and the loss to a one person team in Monterey.

What happened for Madison Magnet?

Madison Academic has suffered a few injuries here and there through the early part of the season, including one to their leading scorer Morgan Faulkner for a series of games. Despite those injuries, they still lost some games they shouldn't have. Coach Patterson will have this team ready for district play and putting them out during tournament play will be extremely difficult to do.

Clarkrange will be fine despite the injuries. Like I said, they are a very balanced and pretty deep team.

It has been a pretty persistent rumor over the last few days. She is a great competitor and I cannot imagine that she will not return, if she has not already.

I fully expect Oliver Springs to work their way towards the top. I am waiting on Kayla Christopher to start playing, night in and night out, like the star I have seen play on the AAU circuit.

The win over Loudon was pretty impressive considering neither Oliver Springs nor Oneida have been able to pull out the win over this strong AA team. The thing that bothers me most about Oakdale is the loss to an average Scott team and the loss to a one person team in Monterey.

Madison Academic has suffered a few injuries here and there through the early part of the season, including one to their leading scorer Morgan Faulkner for a series of games. Despite those injuries, they still lost some games they shouldn't have. Coach Patterson will have this team ready for district play and putting them out during tournament play will be extremely difficult to do.

Good poll...........wondering if you use Coacht's strength of schedule in your thinking.........

Gleason, RBS neither one are in the top 50......neither has played anyone of significance in AA or AAA..........In my opinion Clarkrange deserves the #1 spot due to the strength of schedule.....