How Does St. Bendidict beat Briarcreat? Ever?

ab123

St. Benedict, the doormat of Div II Large, beat Briarcrest tonoght 46 to 36. This is the third time in row that St. Benedict beat Briarcrest in regular season play. St. Benecit has NOOOOOO talent, Harrington is has at least two D I recruits. I would fire my coach if they EVER lost to St. Benedict with the amont of tlaent that Briarcrest has. Sorry to be so anti St. Benedict but my God, 36 points to a team that lost to ECS. You have got to kidding me. Briarcrst was rankend 7th in the dany dozen. Yet more proof that that poll knows nothing about basketabll.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St. Benedict is not totally without talent. I would agree that they are no where near as talented as Briarcrest, but then again they didn't go out and buy all of the players either. They had a down year last year, however the three years prior to that they won over 20 games each year. As for losing to ECS ,it won't stay this the way,but they are the only undefeated team in the league right now. As for Briarcrest losing to St. Benedict for the third time in a row you need to look no further than the coaching. Harrington has just been flat out outcoached by Corzine each time.

mayor1011,

You are totally wrong, none of Briarcrest players have been bought, I know that their parents are paying the full tuition amounts, they just chose Briarcrest because of its academic prep for college.

Briarcrest lost to St. Benedict due to coaching, or lack there of. Coach Harrington is a nice guy, but does not know how to coach and prepare 'real' talent. The main problem is that he has let himself succumb to parental and political pressures versus preparing and putting the best players on the court. For instance, parents donate money to the team and expect for their son's to receive playing time in return, and when their son doesn't get to play you have a lot of upset upset-off parents of kids who really can't play complaining to the administration and causing problems. Now insert these high level Div I prospects who can really play and you have a huge dilemma. Do I prepare and put my best athletes on the court or do I play these kids who clearly can't play at the varsity level? Unfortunately money talks and the team is made to suffer.

Harrington needs to take a serious look at what he is doing, or not doing. He has lost games to St. George and St. Benedict that the team should have clearly won, but he managed to get out coached. He'd better be careful and start coaching the team to win and not coach to appease parents or he'll suffer the same fate as the football coach. I can think of several coaches in the Memphis area that would love to coach a team with this type of talent.

The parents of the kids who aren't playing have every right to be upset. They are the ones paying.Sure these other kids may have payed their tuition, but you have to ask yourself ,who behind the scenes is giving them the money to do it. The political pressures you speak of can only exist in an enviroment that is created from players being recruited to play. Briarcrest would easliy finish last in the league more often than not if they weren't consistently recruiting around the city. The team they put on the floor this summer minus their AAU players was pathetic. The bottom line is this, kids are not coming to Briarcrest to play for a coach who in your words " can't coach talent" unless they are receiving outside benefits. Its been this way for a while and is common knowledge throughout the region and the city.

St. Benedict may not have the talent of Briarcrest but I can tell you exactly what won the game for them. Smart,sound, fundamental basketball. A team that plays better basketball against a team with better talent will always have a chance. I'm not saying Briarcrest doesn't but that is how St. Benedict has done what thy've done this year. Through 17 games St. Benedict is avg. 40 points allowed. That says to me that they're playing sound defense as well. It was a winable game for Briarcrest but St. B is tough.

QUOTE(speakerbox2 @ Jan 14 2007 - 12:44 PM) 826331601[/snapback]

mayor1011,

You are totally wrong, none of Briarcrest players have been bought, I know that their parents are paying the full tuition amounts, they just chose Briarcrest because of its academic prep for college.

Speakerbox

You have to be absolutley in denial if you thnk that ALL the Briarcrest players pay their own tuition. Mayor is absolutely right, tuition is payed but by who? It is not only common knowledge that this done but has been admitted to in the book "Blind Side" by Michael Lewis. Here is an excerpt from the a condensed version of the book that appeared in the NY Times Magazine titled the "Ballad of Big Mike". The link to the full article is at the end of this post for anyone interested. Let me say two things and end my input on this. 1. What the guy does to basically save this kids life is admirable but none the lass against every TSSAA rule. In the end to kid will come out better and the Briarcrest Boys have never really won anything. So in a way who cares? 2. If you have a middle school kid coming up through this program you will watch some great basketball players while your kid sits in the stands and cheers. If you are ok with that, great, if not start hitting the open houses around the Memphis area today.

"The next day, Sean went to the Briarcrest accounting department and arranged for Michael to have a standing account at the lunch checkout counter. He had done the same for several of the poorer black kids who had come to Briarcrest. In a couple of cases, he had, in effect, paid their tuition by giving money to a school fund earmarked for scholarships for those who couldn’t afford tuition. “That was my only connection with Michael,” he said later. “Lunch.” "

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine...;pagewanted=all

Mayot1011 and thgrubb89,

You guys sound like a lot of cry babies, we can't compete and surmise that they are better than us, so they must be doing something wrong or cheating in order to beat us. Typical looser mentality. As a graduate of BCHS and close relative to the players in question I know exactly what goes on versus what is being reported and perceived to go on.

Have either of you seen the canceled checks and bank statements of these parents. Have you seen the 401k loan and withdrawal statements? Have you seen the personal account withdrawals and deposits,, NO you haven't. But guess what I HAVE, so I take your accusations with all of your whining, and add some cheese for flavor.

Books are written to sell and make profit $$$$, just remember that.

mayor10111, why don't you tell these paying parents to get their over-privileged sorry butt kids in the gym instead of going to Europe, Hawaii, Cancun or Destin, FL. during the spring and summer and learn how to play basketball instead of complaining about those who sacrifice their spring and summers to play basketball on a National level. No parent has the right to be upset or upset-off if their kid doesn't have the ability to compete and play without putting in the work and time in the off-season. No amount of $$$ can solve their or your problem. GET REAL...

Take a ride on your crycycles somewhere else ! !

Well i guess you showed me.Of course you have access to everyones financial records, i mean why wouldn't you. Call me what you will it doesn't change the fact that it goes on and Briarcrest is one of the biggest at buying players. ......... By the way the name calling was nice, as far as the competing goes, didn't Briarcrest finish dead last last year. Harrington is worthless ,so the good news is, it may not matter who you buy as long as that guy is coaching.

QUOTE(mayor10111 @ Jan 14 2007 - 08:16 PM) 826331982[/snapback]

Well i guess you showed me.Of course you have access to everyones financial records, i mean why wouldn't you. Call me what you will it doesn't change the fact that it goes on and Briarcrest is one of the biggest at buying players. ......... By the way the name calling was nice, as far as the competing goes, didn't Briarcrest finish dead last last year. Harrington is worthless ,so the good news is, it may not matter who you buy as long as that guy is coaching.

I would agree that Harrington is in over his head, previously they could have said the talent level was lacking, but now its obvious that he's not capable of preparing the team. The asst. coaches he has are mere bumps on a log, so hopefully they can get some help.

I don't belive the players are bought or Briarcrest is buying players, generally better players like to play with better players. BCHS offers a great academic prep for college which is why the athletes go there. It's great to get college scholarships, but if you can't do college level academics it's all for nothing.

QUOTE(speakerbox2 @ Jan 14 2007 - 09:00 PM) 826332033[/snapback]

I would agree that Harrington is in over his head, previously they could have said the talent level was lacking, but now its obvious that he's not capable of preparing the team. The asst. coaches he has are mere bumps on a log, so hopefully they can get some help.

I don't belive the players are bought or Briarcrest is buying players, generally better players like to play with better players. BCHS offers a great academic prep for college which is why the athletes go there. It's great to get college scholarships, but if you can't do college level academics it's all for nothing.

I totally agree.The kids that go there[[leslie mcdonald,elgin lee,gregg wooten]]Aw yea and now johnny williams are not being bought.They are just looking in to the furture[COLLEGE]These are some good friends of mine and they do get scolarships but that only covers half of the cost to get in the school and their parents are willing to pay the rest b/c its all going to pay off.They just want to win.They[Leslie,Gregg,and Johnny]did go underfeated 2yrs in a row at Southwind middle together and came in 2nd in the nation on their AAU team, so why not play together after all that success.I would!!! SO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT MAYOR10111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!