Brentwood Academy @ Whites Creek

mfalc04

QUOTE(coachbkp @ Jan 18 2007 - 09:01 AM) 826336100[/snapback]

i am sorry i just come from a different era where holding a player to 19 points is not an achievement. this is a kid he is not michael jordan you can not say you have played good defense on somebody and they score 19 points. so if a team held brandon wright to 19 points last year you guys would not get on here and say they played good defense. jamie went around and shot over those guys anytime he wanted. now if they would have held him to 6-10 points now you can say they played good defense. but not when somebody scores 19 points. i dont think michael jordan would say i played good or great defense on somebody and he held them to 19 points. i am sorry on that one the tennessean says jaime is averaging 22 points he was 3 points off his average.

No one is saying he's Michael Jordan - he's far from it. But there was the comment thrown around that he was tired or fatigued, he may have been. But my point was not that he was locked down, but that BA made him work, and fatigue is not an excuse.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am sorry i just come from a different era where holding a player to 19 points is not an achievement. this is a kid he is not michael jordan you can not say you have played good defense on somebody and they score 19 points. so if a team held brandon wright to 19 points last year you guys would not get on here and say they played good defense. jamie went around and shot over those guys anytime he wanted. now if they would have held him to 6-10 points now you can say they played good defense. but not when somebody scores 19 points. i dont think michael jordan would say i played good or great defense on somebody and he held them to 19 points. i am sorry on that one the tennessean says jaime is averaging 22 points he was 3 points off his average.

You're original comments were that he "scored at will". My point was that

1 or 1 1/2 made shots per quarter is not scoring at will. This is especially

true considering the number of shots taken. Again, I am not taking anything

away but Jamie but rather trying to acknowledge BA's defensive effort.

I would like to know his shooting percentage from that night versus other

nights. I don't have access to that info but if anyone does it may

be very enlightening for all. If BA held him to 40% versus 50%, then

the defense had an impact. If his % that night was equal to his season average

then you are correct in saying BA's defense had no more impact than any other

team.

I'm not interested in continuing this argument without facts but if you or

someone has the actual data, then please share. I am actually curious to

know the %.

QUOTE(jek @ Jan 18 2007 - 10:45 AM) 826336298[/snapback]

You're original comments were that he "scored at will". My point was that

1 or 1 1/2 made shots per quarter is not scoring at will. This is especially

true considering the number of shots taken. Again, I am not taking anything

away but Jamie but rather trying to acknowledge BA's defensive effort.

I would like to know his shooting percentage from that night versus other

nights. I don't have access to that info but if anyone does it may

be very enlightening for all. If BA held him to 40% versus 50%, then

the defense had an impact. If his % that night was equal to his season average

then you are correct in saying BA's defense had no more impact than any other

team.

I'm not interested in continuing this argument without facts but if you or

someone has the actual data, then please share. I am actually curious to

know the %.

Agreed.

Not trying to bust on J. Graham -- he is a very good player. I am busting on those of you who set him up at the beginning of this thread as the next coming of MJ . . . To say he "scored at will" and "BA's defense did not slow him down" and "he went around those guys and shot over them any time he wanted" and to suggest that BA's defenders would not be able to hang was incorrect.

If B. Wright would have scored at (or slightly below . . . ) his average in a losing effort, I absolutely would have said that he had been well defended.

Graham did not score "at will." He's a stud high school player, but scoring 19 pts is hardly scoring at will. The fact that he hit that shot to send the game into OT probably gives people a more inflated opinion of him on that night. He took plenty of shots. Can he create his own shot just about anytime he wants to? I think so. But that doesn't mean he's unstoppable or can score at will. He's quick enough to get in the paint or create some space for a jump shot very often. But actually FINISHING and nailing those buckets is a whole different story. It's unforunate this comes across as punking Graham b/c there is absolutely nothing negative to say about the kid. People just need to chill on the comments about him being unstoppable against BA. BA's defense was solid, but not excellent that night--they won b/c they pounded the ball inside and shot well over 50%. Whites Creek simply did not get it done on the defensive end. Great game--I'm just happy to see some of the White Creek fans come back to earth.

QUOTE(mfalc04 @ Jan 18 2007 - 07:37 PM) 826336891[/snapback]

Graham did not score "at will." He's a stud high school player, but scoring 19 pts is hardly scoring at will. The fact that he hit that shot to send the game into OT probably gives people a more inflated opinion of him on that night. He took plenty of shots. Can he create his own shot just about anytime he wants to? I think so. But that doesn't mean he's unstoppable or can score at will. He's quick enough to get in the paint or create some space for a jump shot very often. But actually FINISHING and nailing those buckets is a whole different story. It's unforunate this comes across as punking Graham b/c there is absolutely nothing negative to say about the kid. People just need to chill on the comments about him being unstoppable against BA. BA's defense was solid, but not excellent that night--they won b/c they pounded the ball inside and shot well over 50%. Whites Creek simply did not get it done on the defensive end. Great game--I'm just happy to see some of the White Creek fans come back to earth.

mfalc04, I'd say that's a pretty solid assessment of the game. I guess as a BA fan, I'd rate their defense as excellent, but I'm not unbiased. Maybe "good enough to win on that night" would be more realistic. Agree that we aren't busting on Graham -- he's got a great shot and is obviously quick -- good player. The shot that I couldn't believe was actually the 3 that his team mate hit w/ about 52 seconds left to pull WC to within 1 point. Don't know who it was, but he was closer to half court than the 3 point line and shot it with someone in his face. At that point, I thought WC was going to pull it out. Good free throws kept BA in the lead until Graham's 3 at the end of regulation.

Coach, the point is that BA fans did not get on this message board and arrogantly declare that "Brandan Wright will score at will" and "he would not be slowed down" etc. Jamie was held below is average and his team lost. Combine that with all of the pregame bragging and predictions and people are going to mention it. He had 5 extra minutes and he scored 14% less than his average in a losing effort. To sum it up: If he were not stopped from scoring his average in regulation, the Cobras would have won the game and all of the bragging and pre-game superman predictions would have been prophetic.

QUOTE(cobrafan90 @ Jan 18 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826336091[/snapback]

Please stop with the asinine Jamie replies. Jamie did his thing. Whites Creek lost the game. He is a team player not a ball hog. Other players on their team have to step up.

BA's defense and garrett did not slow Jamie down. He averages 22 points and he scored 19. He hit shots with garrett in his face or hacking him. No way BA stopped Jamie.

The problem was Whites Creek didn't stop BA. Stallings lit them up, Wright and Brown had their way inside. Too many countless lay ups. Whites Creek's D lost the game or lack thereof.

jacob stallings is draino

QUOTE(War Eagles @ Jan 17 2007 - 12:04 PM) 826335015[/snapback]

Congrats to BA. Great win.

Congrats to BA on the great win, however I'm not sure they pull if off if Josh Eddy had played for Whites Creek.......just like the BA loss to Lipscomb. Missing a key starter can make a huge difference.

Anyway, it was a great game for the Nashville high school basketball fans to enjoy.

Oh my young whipper snappers. Anyone at the game saw that Whites Creek was without Josh Eddy for the entire game. He had to attend his grandmother's funeral on that night. BA should have won with the great job of recruiting that they are able to do. No body ever stops Jamie Graham. Hands down the best "athlete" to ever play in Metro Schools. Had he fallen for the banana in the tail pipe trick and gone to private sports factory" he would be the best there too. No one has mentioned the fact that Whites Creek started a young man that had never started a varsity game in his life. The "two" guys that filled in for Josh did an excellent job giving WC a chance to win. Now the real kicker: Whites Creek might be the fastest and quickest team around. BA aka Sports Factory played man defense all night long. Whites Creek shot Three (3) free throws in the first half and Three (3) in the second half. With 5 minutes to go in regulation BA had one (1) foul. Now if you know anything about high school basketball, there is no one playing that good of defense. In other words, the refs that night were not good enough to be working a game between BA and Whites Creek. Not saying they cheated, they just weren't very good. So in closing, BA is suppose to win every game they play, simply because they get to chose who comes in their building to play basketball or whatever sport. And I would think that they only choose people they think that can help them win each and every time.

Cudos to the WC program who has been in sub state 4 of the last 6 years. The great thing about that is that they never recruited anyone. Good luck to both teams in the tournaments

Spoken like someone who has and will continue to make excuses for anything in life that doesn't go their way! I guess the Supreme Court who found BA not guilty was biased too. You should have been a key witness if you hold so much valid info. Winning programs always attract these type of people. I know that these comments do not hold true for all WC fans. Great game played by young men.