CENTENNIAL VS. INDEPENDENCE

CHS 2007

This should be a veerrrrrryyyyyy interesting game. Centennial is arguably one of the hottest teams in 11-AAA while Indy is coming off a tough loss to Franklin. The last time these two met, Indy won 53-43 in a game that saw Centennial come all the way from a large early deficit. Indy was able to pull away at the end, but could it be the other way around this time? One things for sure, both schools will come out and be loud.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i think Indy definitely answered some critics last night with that close game. Everyone said that Indy had lost their steam and that Franklin would blow them out. Indy actually played a great game all night and they held their own. That being said I honestly think Centennial has improved drastically since we've last played them. I've already mentioned we added new blood, but a few players (like Lamont and Allante) have really stepped up their game and are putting up big performances on both ends of the court. If you look at the situation right now, Centennial is the better team on both ends, so I'm picking Centennial by 8.

QUOTE(CHS 2007 @ Jan 17 2007 - 02:53 PM) 826335245[/snapback]

Well i think Indy definitely answered some critics last night with that close game. Everyone said that Indy had lost their steam

I think that you're the only critic that felt that. Indy had a bad game against Hillwood just like Centennial had a bad game against Page. Things like that happen during the course of a long basketball season.

Indy probably had 25 turnovers against Hillwood...the important thing was that they found a way to win the game.

Centennial has no answer for Kuchar, especially if he's on. We all know that Patrick Byrd probably isn't going to drop 15 again also.

Luttrell gains more confidence with every dunk he has (he's dunked in 4 of the last 5 games). If he can get an early dunk in this one, I forsee a great battle between he and Drew.

I stopped making score predicitions about Indy games after the football game against Ravenwood, but I will say that the Centennial fans have to be the most optimistic fans on these boards.

QUOTE(donathan5507 @ Jan 17 2007 - 04:39 PM) 826335349[/snapback]

I think that you're the only critic that felt that. Indy had a bad game against Hillwood just like Centennial had a bad game against Page. Things like that happen during the course of a long basketball season.

Indy probably had 25 turnovers against Hillwood...the important thing was that they found a way to win the game.

Centennial has no answer for Kuchar, especially if he's on. We all know that Patrick Byrd probably isn't going to drop 15 again also.

Luttrell gains more confidence with every dunk he has (he's dunked in 4 of the last 5 games). If he can get an early dunk in this one, I forsee a great battle between he and Drew.

I stopped making score predicitions about Indy games after the football game against Ravenwood, but I will say that the Centennial fans have to be the most optimistic fans on these boards.

First off, I predicted that the IHS/FHS game would be very close and would be decided by no more than 6. Centennial had no answer for Kuchar when he's on. Well for the past couple of games, I haven't seen him on. Plus Centennial's D has really improved since the last time these two met. That Franklin game was a wakeup call and whatever adjustments Coach Kelly made after that, it's worked, as we have yet to lose a game. And about Luttrell, 4 dunks in 5 games is pretty good. But with a big one from Kelly last night, Centennial has now dunked dunked in 15 out of 20 games this season. Also, Luttrell has had some trouble against big men this year. Luttrell will have some serious trouble against Bug, arguably the best defensive player in the district, who by the way had 8 last night against a Hillwood front averaging a 6-6 height. I think the CHS defense will have the edge here.

QUOTE(CHS 2007 @ Jan 17 2007 - 07:35 PM) 826335496[/snapback]

First off, I predicted that the IHS/FHS game would be very close and would be decided by no more than 6. Centennial had no answer for Kuchar when he's on. Well for the past couple of games, I haven't seen him on. Plus Centennial's D has really improved since the last time these two met. That Franklin game was a wakeup call and whatever adjustments Coach Kelly made after that, it's worked, as we have yet to lose a game. And about Luttrell, 4 dunks in 5 games is pretty good. But with a big one from Kelly last night, Centennial has now dunked dunked in 15 out of 20 games this season. Also, Luttrell has had some trouble against big men this year. Luttrell will have some serious trouble against Bug, arguably the best defensive player in the district, who by the way had 8 last night against a Hillwood front averaging a 6-6 height. I think the CHS defense will have the edge here.

Which is why I only quoted the part about losing their steam.

If 26 points isn't on, then I'm not sure what your standards are. He didn't have his best shooting night early, but he does more than just shoot.

I wasn't trying to say that 4 out of 5 is amazing, I was just saying that dunking consistently is something we hadn't seen out of Nick.

And I know he's been playing better lately--the whole team has. I could point out that the schedule hasn't exactly been rigorous but that's fine.

However, I will point out that against Indy, Hillsboro, and Franklin, "Bug" has 14 points in 3 games, including a paltry 4 against Indy.

All of this may be irrelevant...Centennial plays its first real game since Dec. 15 on Friday against Bwood...should be a good measuring stick to how much improvement they have made.

QUOTE(donathan5507 @ Jan 17 2007 - 08:59 PM) 826335602[/snapback]

If 26 points isn't on, then I'm not sure what your standards are. He didn't have his best shooting night early, but he does more than just shoot.

I wasn't trying to say that 4 out of 5 is amazing, I was just saying that dunking consistently is something we hadn't seen out of Nick.

And I know he's been playing better lately--the whole team has. I could point out that the schedule hasn't exactly been rigorous but that's fine.

However, I will point out that against Indy, Hillsboro, and Franklin, "Bug" has 14 points in 3 games, including a paltry 4 against Indy.

All of this may be irrelevant...Centennial plays its first real game since Dec. 15 on Friday against Bwood...should be a good measuring stick to how much improvement they have made.

So beating the then #4 ranked team in a tournament final wasn't a real game, huh?

Mentioning Bug, those first three games were in the first part of the year, a time when he was only averaging 6 points a game. After the Franklin game some small change in Kelly's strategy allowed Bug to take off. He picked up 19 vs. Brentwood, and he kept on going from there, picking up a little less than 20 points a game in the Beech tourny and taking home the MVP award. Oh yeah, did I mention the 12.9 rebounds a game, 8.9 blocks a game, and the 6.7 steals a game?

Coach Kelly has done an excellent job in making sure Centennial plays their game. Some of those early losses were due to Centennial going into an early panic and trying to adjust too early. That massacre against Franklin was a wakeup call and since then, we haven't panicked, we took the time to make smart plays, and we made the other team adjust. Centennial still has problems at the start of games (opponents will usually get off to short runs) but we remain patient and get the job done.

Talking about Kuchar, I meant overall the past the weeks, he just hasn't had that spark he had earlier. I think he's been inconsistent at times and that's led to alot of these close contests. Centennial stills has some holes on their outside D, so Kuchar will have to have a great night, because I'll tell you this: the Eagles cannot rely on their inside game this time.

PS Donathan: I have more analysis, but I have a feeling we'll be going back and forth all week, so I'll save some for later

Tennessean didn't have the Lavergne game listed...that's my bad for not cross-referencing my sources. Centennial deserves major credit for that win.

I've played sports against Lamont Harris since the 7th grade. Get him in foul trouble early and he will unravel.

I hate to say that I don't believe your statistics, but the only coacht member whose stats I believe is PageMan. Since you are not him (to the best of my knowledge, anyway), I am opting to take those statistics with a grain of salt.

I mean, you're saying that he's almost averaging a quadruple double per game. We could also deduce that he may have only had 3 steals in one of the games, which would mean he would need to have 11 to balance out his average.

To put this in perspective, there have only been four quadruple doubles in NBA history.

QUOTE(Cubs05SC @ Jan 17 2007 - 05:21 PM) 826335333[/snapback]

Indy by 14. This wont be as close as CHS posters feel. Hot or not, Indy and Franklin are the district.

I'm gonna predict a 10+ point win for CHS, followed bt a 10+ point win by FHS over Indy the next game. I believe that depth and aggressive D by CHS & FHS will overcome whatever Kuchar & Luttrell can bring to the table. (and Luttrell didn't bring much last night) I don't believe any one superstar is going to defeat Franklin or Centennial.

QUOTE(donathan5507 @ Jan 17 2007 - 08:59 PM) 826335602[/snapback]

Chs seems to be playing better every game while Ihs has been a little shaky but always manages to win. Should be a very good game but I can not wait to hear what donathans got to say about all the classless fans hes gonna see at the game.

I skipped the CHS game on Tues. to see the FHS vs.IHS game and saw first hand what some of you are talking about. Kuchar-yeah, 26 points is a good night, unless you look at the attempts. I wish someone knew %, but I know he shot at least 20+ times from the field and had 8+ free throws. So, 26 points out of all that is not that great. I think that's what ultimately led to Indy's demise--one superstar can't win it all. And as far as Luttrell goes, you never know on any night what to expect from him. Indy did have some other players step up & that may happen again, but CHS has been playing pretty consistent. And yes, Byrd could put up another 15 point night --you never know.