Privates Recruiting? Tennessean Article on David Lipscomb Women's

Morton

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jan 21 2007 - 07:53 PM) 826340299[/snapback]

Or he did a lot to get booted.

That's the case everywhere. Kids are kids and they do make mistakes from time to time. Often times, it takes a big mistake for something drastic like that to happen. If it is true, hopefully the young man will learn something from the situation.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jan 18 2007 - 11:40 AM) 826336395[/snapback]I doubt the article would have been written about a public school. If they hadn't mentioned the "privates accused of recruiting thing" it would have been more credible. It is rare for any school...these days...to have 5 senior starters.

From the Tennessean:

"Smith admitted his starting lineup defies the perception of private schools. No one can allege any of the five were recruited to play at the school because no coach can judge prospective talent of a 7- or 8-year-old."

Why did the coach make this statement? What was the purpose...other than to prove private schools don't recruit? That's something better left unsaid.

I just came upon this set of messages on the article about the DL girls team.

I thought I might clear up how and why the article came about.

As the dad of one of the Lipscomb seniors, I watched their final season start and thought about how wonderful it has been to watch these girls grow up together. I also thought it was unusual to have a group that has been successful because they play as a team, without any "superstars".

I did not know anyone at the Tennessean, but took the time to send them an e-mail, and suggested a human interest story- about this group of girls, their time together and their friendship.

While the point is made that these girls came together in the first grade and would dispel any "recruiting" theories- this was not done as a part of the public vs private debate.

The interview was done, the article was written and sat in the can at the Tennessean until the football bowl season ended. (they were waiting for a quiet time for local sports)

Newpapers are always looking for stories of interest, and based on the comments several of the girls have recieved around Nashville from people with no "Lipscomb" connection- it hit the mark.

I do not think "public or private" had any influence on the Tennessean's decision to do the story.

I am sure there are plenty of stories out there, if you have an idea-

I would suggest you contact your local paper, give them the idea and a few details and see where it goes.

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...75&game_id=

QUOTE(Titans fan @ Feb 27 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826391857[/snapback]I just came upon this set of messages on the article about the DL girls team.

I thought I might clear up how and why the article came about . . .

Was your son's nickname "Shadow" at one time? If so, you should know me by my screen name.

QUOTE(Titans fan @ Feb 27 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826391857[/snapback]I just came upon this set of messages on the article about the DL girls team.

As the dad of one of the Lipscomb seniors, I watched their final season start and thought about how wonderful it has been to watch these girls grow up together. I also thought it was unusual to have a group that has been successful because they play as a team, without any "superstars".

I did not know anyone at the Tennessean, but took the time to send them an e-mail, and suggested a human interest story- about this group of girls, their time together and their friendship.

While the point is made that these girls came together in the first grade and would dispel any "recruiting" theories- this was not done as a part of the public vs private debate.

The interview was done, the article was written and sat in the can at the Tennessean until the football bowl season ended. (they were waiting for a quiet time for local sports)

Newpapers are always looking for stories of interest, and based on the comments several of the girls have recieved around Nashville from people with no "Lipscomb" connection- it hit the mark.

I do not think "public or private" had any influence on the Tennessean's decision to do the story.

I would suggest you contact your local paper, give them the idea and a few details and see where it goes.

Thanks for clarifying the origination of the article Titans Fn. It was a true sports human interest story (and women's high school sports at that). I'm a Lipscomb parent and have read so many posts on this blog that state 'all privates' recruit. I thought this was a great example of a school that does not. The girls in this article are now headed to sub-state. As you stated, they do not have a 'star,' but have five girls that are all talented athletes, good friends, and love playing together. Despite this debate, they are very lucky to have this experience to reflect upon all their lives.

After reading so many posts on this debate, I was glad to have an example of non-recruiting. I know that this post will not change some deep-seeded opinions. I hope it at least shows an example of a successful private school athletic program that does not recruit. Lipscomb was lucky enough to have these five girls comes together long ago, and stay together. That is rare regardless of public or private. The same is true for Lipscomb's football and baseball teams. They have been successful due to great coaching, parent involvement, and kids that have played together (in most cases) since elementary school. I could definitely compare Lipscomb to a small rural public in terms of the school's community.

Thanks again for the article clarification, and explaining its origin and that it had nothing to do with this blog and the on-going debate.

I never did say Lipscomb...or anyone else recruits. The problem I had with the article was the comments by the writer that the girls were not recruited. That statement was better left out. That ruined a good story for me. That's why I started this thread. I do think that is why the writer decided to write your story. JMHO Good luck to DL the rest of the season.

QUOTE(Morton @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:40 AM) 826392717[/snapback]I know that this post will not change some deep-seeded opinions.

Nope. It is a great article and it is great to see these girls who have stuck together for so long, but dont let this article think this is the way it is in all privates, especially small ones. A few small privates cannot dominate a decade of football without some assistance. This is my opinion wether true or false.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 1 2007 - 10:14 AM) 826394804[/snapback]Nope. It is a great article and it is great to see these girls who have stuck together for so long, but dont let this article think this is the way it is in all privates, especially small ones. A few small privates cannot dominate a decade of football without some assistance. This is my opinion wether true or false.

A few small and large publics can not dominate a decade of football without some assistance either. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

QUOTE(tnsddeveloper @ Mar 1 2007 - 10:50 AM) 826394875[/snapback]A few small and large publics can not dominate a decade of football without some assistance either. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So you admit some small privates use "assistance". Thats funny, in another thread you said NO PRIVATES RECRIUT. LOL

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 1 2007 - 12:49 PM) 826395060[/snapback]So you admit some small privates use "assistance". Thats funny, in another thread you said NO PRIVATES RECRIUT. LOL

Ha! No, that didn't come out of my mouth. I'm just tossing the same innuendo around that your seem to like. I mean ... there must be a majic mountain stream in Blount county just underneath the only 2 city school systems there. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(tnsddeveloper @ Mar 1 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826395261[/snapback]Ha! No, that didn't come out of my mouth. I'm just tossing the same innuendo around that your seem to like. I mean ... there must be a majic mountain stream in Blount county just underneath the only 2 city school systems there. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

AHHHHHH backtracking LOL. Its ok LOL.