Sequoyah Football

Sequoyah SID

Well coach if you would read the post from me earlier you would know why I wasn't at the banquet. Like I said if it had been held when it was originally scheduled I would have been there. I really don't have to explain it to you but you seem like an ok guy. I made a promise the day a young lady signed her scholarship that I would be there on the day that she started her first game and I honored that committment. As I said I called and told them I was running late but I would be there shortly, but I just got back to late. I did however see and talk with several of the kids at the local A&W that night and they wanted to know why they didn't receive their letters. I had no answer because that was one if the excuses for moving the banquet. You see coach I do care about these kids. I cared enough to come here even though I would have to give up my retirement years, take my wife from a job she loved and move my kids. You see I didn't make demands for her to have a job and to transfer my tenure like I was told some people did when they had a chance to come here. Does it sound familiar or was I misinformed again.

Sorry coach didn't see it. Have a nice day!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Coach Holloway @ Jan 26 2007 - 12:02 AM) 826346274[/snapback]

Well coach if you would read the post from me earlier you would know why I wasn't at the banquet. Like I said if it had been held when it was originally scheduled I would have been there. I really don't have to explain it to you but you seem like an ok guy. I made a promise the day a young lady signed her scholarship that I would be there on the day that she started her first game and I honored that committment. As I said I called and told them I was running late but I would be there shortly, but I just got back to late. I did however see and talk with several of the kids at the local A&W that night and they wanted to know why they didn't receive their letters. I had no answer because that was one if the excuses for moving the banquet. You see coach I do care about these kids. I cared enough to come here even though I would have to give up my retirement years, take my wife from a job she loved and move my kids. You see I didn't make demands for her to have a job and to transfer my tenure like I was told some people did when they had a chance to come here. Yes I made those request, not demands, when I applied at Sequoyah but it didn't happen and I stayed where I was at. Maybe you could have saved a lot of people a lot of grief in Monroe County if you had done the same! Does it sound familiar or was I misinformed again.

QUOTE(caesar @ Jan 26 2007 - 07:30 AM) 826346520[/snapback]

After reading several recent posts about the hiring process in Madisonville I felt compelled to write. You guys do not know me and I am certainly not a part of this community, but I think I do have some insight to provide for whatever it is worth.

First of all, I do know of two people who went through the interview process this time around. Both are current head football coaches who run very successful football programs and both have a lot of accolades on their resumes. I spoke to both after their interviews and they related to me that the process was flawed from the start. I do not know how many people were interviewed but if they tried to interview everyone (25-30 people) that is just crazy. One of the coaches told me that the principal met with him first. Basically told him no matter what was said in the next room, he would make the hire and the new coach was to do exactly what he was told. He also stated that if the coach didn't win five games a year he would be fired. Then they went into the next room and met the A.D. and two or three men from the community. Very few questions were asked and most of the time the A.D. and Principal just talked to the coach. Both coaches told me it was a very strange experience.

I laughed when the first coach spoke to me about the interview because I had interviewed in Monroe County for another position several years ago when there was an opening at another school in the county. It seems to me that the administration at SQHS never wanted to hire a top flight coach from the start and possibly had this man in mind from the beginning. I do not know this to be a fact but in my gut I feel they passed up on two highly successful men to settle for the feel good choice bringing back an old familiar face to the people of Vonroe. I could be wrong but it does seem that is the case.

I do not know the new head coach and I am sure he will do a fine job but from the start, the posters on here said they were going to bring in a big name coach and that is not what happened. Maybe my two friends who interviewed didn’t make a solid impression? Maybe they didn’t like what they saw and withdrew their names? Or maybe the current administration knew from the start that they were going to hire and the whole process was a farce? Whatever the case, something should be done in the future to change how things were done.

Just a thought from someone on the outside looking end.

I'll promise you this coach won't do exactly as told!

QUOTE(Bill#49 @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:27 PM) 826346118[/snapback]

You tell me of any head coaching job that doesn't boil down to the ole buddy system. If you have been in coaching as long as I have then you should know a lot of times it doesn't come down to what you know but WHO you know.

Coach Summey is a great hire!! Get on board or do the "Davey Jones" shuffle.

I have always been on board not just someone who is just now jumping on the ship. I have always supported this program and i always will. Never said Summey would'nt be a good hire. If you look at my earlyier post you will see were i said that i have heard alot of good things about him, and if what i hear is true he will for sure rock the boat at SQHS. It's not about them hireing who they know if you look at all of the past coaches none of them were people from this area. What i mean about buddy system is they are looking to protect themselves. iI believe in the past it was'nt about hireing the best coach it was about hireing someone they could control.

QUOTE(warchief @ Jan 26 2007 - 09:20 AM) 826346637[/snapback]

I have always been on board not just someone who is just now jumping on the ship. I have always supported this program and i always will. Never said Summey would'nt be a good hire. If you look at my earlyier post you will see were i said that i have heard alot of good things about him, and if what i hear is true he will for sure rock the boat at SQHS. It's not about them hireing who they know if you look at all of the past coaches none of them were people from this area.

What i mean about buddy system is they are looking to protect themselves. iI believe in the past it was'nt about hireing the best coach it was about hireing someone they could control.

Warchief I belive you hit it right on the Head with that control word.

Look we all know it's the Admin problem at SQHS that is the root of most of these post. And the root of the support issue from both towns.

When need to express this the man at the central office( Oakgrove RD). Not at C.Hall's or the L.post take it where it will count.

QUOTE(big blue player @ Jan 25 2007 - 07:52 PM) 826346010[/snapback]

Simply, out of the men that applied he is not the best choice for a football coach. There were others with better credentials and are current head coaches.

With all due respect, some of those with better credentials either pulled their name or was found out to have gotten those credentials by means that were innapropriate to their schools. Do not ask me to explain on this, because I won't. Enough said on that subject. I truly regret that some of the applicants were treated the way they were, but most of us were not involved with the interviews or background checks, therefore there is no basis on comments without knowing.

QUOTE(torseq2 @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:33 AM) 826346660[/snapback]

Look we all know it's the Admin problem at SQHS that is the root of most of these post. And the root of the support issue from both towns.

When need to express this the man at the central office( Oakgrove RD). Not at C.Hall's or the L.post take it where it will count.

This is true torseq2 keep rocking that boat from what i am hearing there may be some more changes on the way.

QUOTE(torseq2 @ Jan 26 2007 - 08:33 AM) 826346660[/snapback]

Been there , DONE THAT! Met with "the Man on Oak Grove R.D.", Around May 15, about 1:P.M..Had quite a lengthy meeting. He was sympatheic. But the bottom line is "The Man on Oak Grove Rd." knew he was only in that office for a good time not a long time. And figures he'll let the next director deal with it. Mean while how many oppritunities are being lost for the young athletes in the school?

Of course anytime I questioned the incompitence, " It's just sour grapes". Perhaps I have been a little off target at times, but asleast I got the guts to pull the trigger!

P.S. I encourage all concerned to contact their board member and demand a house-cleaning. Trust me, you CAN do better.

QUOTE(caesar @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:03 AM) 826346708[/snapback]

Let me see, you had some head coaches who had several years of winning records (7 or more wins every year as a head coach), regional and conference championships, multiple playoff appearances, so-called "big names" or well known and well respected football coaches. Give me a break.

I certainly do not know all those who applied but the two coaches I referred to earlier are very well respected. Again, it is apparent that this hire was in the works long before any interviews were made and both coaches told me they knew the principal was not interested in them before they completed the interview.

I don't think you should even bring a man in to interview until you have checked some of his references. It just sounds like this was a done deal before the 30 interviews started.

Take it from an old retired coach, you don't call people in to interview just to be going through the motions. It costs people money to take off work and travel to your school. If you are not serious in your process the word gets around and the next time you have an opening, coaches will be warned, don't waste your time.

You should not interview every applicant and you should have a fair process for reviewing all applicants and then calling in the top candidates. Spend more time with each man and get to know them. You can't do that in 20 minutes. I don't know if this is true but I heard that one guy came all the way from Atlanta and only spent 15-20 minutes in the interview. That was a waste of his time and yours.

If you treat people as professionals they will respect you even if they don't get the job but when you treat people like cattle, they will not speak very highly of you or the school system.

Well now I'm going to climb off my high horse and pray for warmer weather so I can go fishin!

Amen Brother!

QUOTE(caesar @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:03 AM) 826346708[/snapback]

Let me see, you had some head coaches who had several years of winning records (7 or more wins every year as a head coach), regional and conference championships, multiple playoff appearances, so-called "big names" or well known and well respected football coaches. Give me a break.

I certainly do not know all those who applied but the two coaches I referred to earlier are very well respected. Again, it is apparent that this hire was in the works long before any interviews were made and both coaches told me they knew the principal was not interested in them before they completed the interview.

I don't think you should even bring a man in to interview until you have checked some of his references. It just sounds like this was a done deal before the 30 interviews started.

Take it from an old retired coach, you don't call people in to interview just to be going through the motions. It costs people money to take off work and travel to your school. If you are not serious in your process the word gets around and the next time you have an opening, coaches will be warned, don't waste your time.

You should not interview every applicant and you should have a fair process for reviewing all applicants and then calling in the top candidates. Spend more time with each man and get to know them. You can't do that in 20 minutes. I don't know if this is true but I heard that one guy came all the way from Atlanta and only spent 15-20 minutes in the interview. That was a waste of his time and yours.

If you treat people as professionals they will respect you even if they don't get the job but when you treat people like cattle, they will not speak very highly of you or the school system.

Well now I'm going to climb off my high horse and pray for warmer weather so I can go fishin!

Do you have any interest in administration?Sounds like what is needed from experience standpoint.