Wrestling with Asthma

Guest 171Bartlett

Guest 171Bartlett

For those of you who have asthma or has a wrestler with asthma it can be flustrating to watch.

I have done alot of experimentation with medicine and workout strategys for my wrestler but here are some helpfull hints and a link for those with the same struggle.

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/11_99/lacroix.htm

Key:

1. Warm up 15 min prior to each event

2. Slow cool down after each event

3. Ideal circumstances gives the athelete 30 min before the next event if they are chaining events together.

4. Rescue inhalers by the time they are realized they are needed the person is already in the middle of the event. Based on your inhaler and your daily control medicines inhalers can often be used prior to the event .

5. Cardio condtioning will require more of an investment then the regular guy.

Hope this information helps!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrestled with asthma and all I can say is this is a great post. I would also like to secong the inhaler suggestion for sure. If you wait to your shortness of breath begins it will probably be too late. I used to take mine ideally 5 to 10 minutes before my match but no more than 15 minutes before. This was suggested by my phyician and it seemed to work very well. I also tried to do extra cardio work.

Very good post. I have a son with a pretty bright future in this sport but he battles severe asthma. Anyone with any helpful suggestions please email me. What medications have you found to work the best? Have you ever used a nebulizer prior to a tough match? One thing I have noticed with my son and several of the kids I coach that suffer from asthma is that when we are at a tournament that is printing t-shirts on site there asthma episodes sky rocket. That smoke from those heat presses fills the gym and really seems to bother them.

Guest 171Bartlett

QUOTE(YOUTHCOACH16 @ Jan 23 2007 - 02:04 PM) 826342595[/snapback]

Very good post. I have a son with a pretty bright future in this sport but he battles severe asthma. Anyone with any helpful suggestions please email me. What medications have you found to work the best? Have you ever used a nebulizer prior to a tough match? One thing I have noticed with my son and several of the kids I coach that suffer from asthma is that when we are at a tournament that is printing t-shirts on site there asthma episodes sky rocket. That smoke from those heat presses fills the gym and really seems to bother them.

Recently,

We were at a local dual and the tournament decided to grill underneath an awning do to the rain that flooded the gym with smoke.. even had the alarms going off and it was my wrestlers turn of course.. there are always those factors and he has had to deal with,, like dealing with stalling points when needing his inhaler which goes with the territory as well as their heart working harder to get the same amount of oxygen through their system as your regular guy... bright spot is they probably wrestle better at higher altitudes!?

Recommend:Advair discus.

This has reduced his dependency on his inhaler since he switched that and a little extra pressure to go to the gym after practice.

Noteable:

17% of the U.S. athletes who participated in the 1996 Olympics had asthma.

I also wrestled with asthma as well as football, basketball, soccer, whatever other sport I could do. You have made a very nice post. The extra cardio worked wonders for me staying extra time after practice bringing in old wrestlers to role around with for 30min-1hour. Also one thing that greatly helped me and I did not even try it until my senior year after getting beat in finals of challenges due to an attack. I went to the doctor and had him write me a prescription for albuterol solution and a nebulizer. He told me to take it at least 20 minutes before each match. That opened my lungs better than any inhaler ever did, and I never had to use my inhaler during a match. Plus it was able to get my off of two of the five inhalers he had me on. Again great post and some good sugestions. The key is hard work extra cardio and keeping control of your asthma.

Doug

QUOTE(cobrakid8 @ Jan 23 2007 - 06:36 PM) 826342840[/snapback]

I also wrestled with asthma as well as football, basketball, soccer, whatever other sport I could do. You have made a very nice post. The extra cardio worked wonders for me staying extra time after practice bringing in old wrestlers to role around with for 30min-1hour. Also one thing that greatly helped me and I did not even try it until my senior year after getting beat in finals of challenges due to an attack. I went to the doctor and had him write me a prescription for albuterol solution and a nebulizer. He told me to take it at least 20 minutes before each match. That opened my lungs better than any inhaler ever did, and I never had to use my inhaler during a match. Plus it was able to get my off of two of the five inhalers he had me on. Again great post and some good sugestions. The key is hard work extra cardio and keeping control of your asthma.

Doug

do you really know anything about wrestling doug? b/c incase you didnt know basketball players cant be wrestlers in high school. try to create better lies if you are going to post them for a ton of people to look at. i hope this advice helps you out as much as the asthma advice

QUOTE(THECRIPDEVIL @ Jan 23 2007 - 07:20 PM) 826342878[/snapback]

Dude how are you going to come on this post and talk crap to someone that is a biger man then you will ever be. Do you know cobrakid8 I dont think you do so why are you going to say he is on hear telling lies. Johnnybravo why dont you tell us what sports you play and how you overcame it by being retarded.

well i didnt really have to overcome retardation b/c i have never been retarded. that is why im not going to come on to this board and say that i golfed and played football, wrestled and played basketball, or baseball and soccer. b/c i know these sports are in the same season. why dont you check the info before you criticize someone cripdevil. all you did was make yourself look like a "retard" to all the people that get on coacht. btw i hope you can overcome being retarded. god bless.

QUOTE(THECRIPDEVIL @ Jan 23 2007 - 07:42 PM) 826342898[/snapback]

Ok what about people that play football and are in the band and do there little thing at halftime. o the capton of the short bus didn't think of that, my god your so retarded you dont even know your retarded you have a black belt in retardation.

Im done fighting with you about this i will catch you later

ive never heard of a football coach letting a team member participate in band. do you think halftime is just for players to catch their breath. theres a lot of coaching that goes on during that break. the only reason i can think a coach would let the kid stay in band was if he stunk and the coach didnt care if he werent at the halftime meeting. besides if he played like a player should he wouldnt want to waste his energy marching. i like the way youre acting like im too immature to argue with or something just b/c your scared to lose arguement.

I have wrestled with asthma since 6th grade, and since I've entered high school I have not needed my inhaler or any emergency medications.

I know I don't represent the norm, but it seems to me that wrestling has actually helped my asthma. But there is one person on my team who had to quit during the middle of a tournament to get a nebulizer treatment his asthma is so bad.

Hopefully all of the wrestlers with asthma will work their best in their regional and the state tournament to prove that, even with asthma, you can compete with the best in the state.

QUOTE(THECRIPDEVIL @ Jan 23 2007 - 06:20 PM) 826342878[/snapback]

Dude how are you going to come on this post and talk crap to someone that is a biger man then you will ever be. Do you know cobrakid8 I dont think you do so why are you going to say he is on hear telling lies. Johnnybravo why dont you tell us what sports you play and how you overcame it by being retarded.

I suggest the two of you find some other way to deal with your SHORT comings. This is a serious subject. Not that the two of you take up much room, but there is no room for you here. Start a different thread if you want to wage your private war.