HS Softball vs. Travel Ball

stlbrd

Okay, I want everyone's opinion as to why or why not HS softball should be played in the fall.

Our girls are falling behind because of it. I have heard everything from too may girls sports in the fall (move girls soccer to the spring, with the boys), to the weather (I played golf THREE times in December -IN SHORT SLEEVES!). I have yet to get a legimate reason, heck most of the HS are playing in the fall now anyway! Why not let the girls go right into HS from travel ball in the fall. This lets the "serious" player play 8-9 months out of the year.

Thoughts please...................................

We've kicked this around a couple of times here on the "t" and received divided results. Several have voiced support for moving it to the fall, just as several seem to opt for leaving it in the spring.

To those of us in the "pro-fall" camp, it just makes too much sense NOT to move it to the fall season. Which is precisely one of the reasons we don't feel the TSSAA will ever do it!!!

QUOTE(rSquared @ Jan 23 2007 - 04:20 PM) 826342759[/snapback]

We've kicked this around a couple of times here on the "t" and received divided results. Several have voiced support for moving it to the fall, just as several seem to opt for leaving it in the spring.

To those of us in the "pro-fall" camp, it just makes too much sense NOT to move it to the fall season. Which is precisely one of the reasons we don't feel the TSSAA will ever do it!!!

Don't know if it would ever help, but I am starting a petition and will have it available at tournaments throughout the state this spring/summer.

QUOTE(JustBeingNosy @ Jan 24 2007 - 01:13 PM) 826344079[/snapback]

When would you propose to play volleyball ??

The way I understand it, only one girls sport would have to be moved. I thought it was only natural to play both boys and girls soccer in the spring. Volleyball being played indoors could be played in the fall or spring. Just thinking out loud. The only reason I am bringing this up is that I am getting tired of watching girls freezing in February and March. While only getting to play travel ball for 2 months. It almost seems like TSSAA is saying this is the way it is and we won't change it no matter how much sense it makes. I am only hoping to get enough interest generated so that they may HAVE to listen at some point in time.

You get v'ball moved to spring and I may be for it (but then you're gonna have to fight the travel v'ball people). It's always something. LOL!

On your petition, what do you propose to offer as season beginning and ending dates, etc.?

Change in and of itself is hard and the T$$AA won't do it, but I appreciate people that are always looking for better ways to do anything, especially if the majority of players are for it.

QUOTE(5-Sport Dad @ Jan 26 2007 - 09:57 AM) 826346698[/snapback]

You get v'ball moved to spring and I may be for it (but then you're gonna have to fight the travel v'ball people). It's always something. LOL!

On your petition, what do you propose to offer as season beginning and ending dates, etc.?

Change in and of itself is hard and the T$$AA won't do it, but I appreciate people that are always looking for better ways to do anything, especially if the majority of players are for it.

My main reason for doing this (other than the freezing temperature) is to get these girls more time to play better competition (just like GA does). Once these girls finally get into travel ball, they are way behind the GA teams that have played 8-10 tournaments.

To answer your question, HS ball could start as soon as school begins in August and they could play til Thanksgiving or into December. Trust me, I have been to the pre-season tournaments in Feb. and March and it is much colder than in Oct. and Nov.

It could and should be done, but..........................we will see.........

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Jan 26 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826346894[/snapback]

My main reason for doing this (other than the freezing temperature) is to get these girls more time to play better competition (just like GA does). Once these girls finally get into travel ball, they are way behind the GA teams that have played 8-10 tournaments.

To answer your question, HS ball could start as soon as school begins in August and they could play til Thanksgiving or into December. Trust me, I have been to the pre-season tournaments in Feb. and March and it is much colder than in Oct. and Nov.

It could and should be done, but..........................we will see.........

Trust you? About that? Dude, I'm from here. And that's not your opinion. That's a FACT. It's crazy!

Softball/baseball/golf: No fun in the wind or the cold!

QUOTE(5-Sport Dad @ Jan 29 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826350404[/snapback]

Trust you? About that? Dude, I'm from here. And that's not your opinion. That's a FACT. It's crazy!

Softball/baseball/golf: No fun in the wind or the cold!

Imagine how the girls feel! It is something that needs to change and I will try as hard as I can to do just that. Someone had to make a change in Georgia because they have not always started in the fall. I plan on continuing my efforts until someone can give me a legitimate reason why it can not be done. I am getting tired of spending money on hand warmers!

• 2 weeks later...

As a travel ball Coach and a parent of a high school player, I totally agree that this is the right thing to do. The obstacles I see are many though. One is the fact that most schools only have one soccer field and the smaller schools like ours have four teams or six teams. Our Middle School uses the same field as High School and some schools have JV teams. We currently have a middle and high school team sharing the one field in spring and fall. I can't imagine what they would do if four teams had to schedule games and practices at the same time on the one field. No way to make it happen. Besides the fact that I doubt the field could hold up to this much play. Another problem for me personally but would not factor in is I have boys who play Football and it is impossible to be at two places at one time for parents. I know other male and female sports already overlap, but that happens to be my two favorite (softball and football) and it would be tough on me. Again that's only a personal problem, but as I said, your idea IS what would be best for the sport and the girls involved.

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Feb 13 2007 - 09:45 AM) 826369923[/snapback]

As a travel ball Coach and a parent of a high school player, I totally agree that this is the right thing to do. The obstacles I see are many though. One is the fact that most schools only have one soccer field and the smaller schools like ours have four teams or six teams. Our Middle School uses the same field as High School and some schools have JV teams. We currently have a middle and high school team sharing the one field in spring and fall. I can't imagine what they would do if four teams had to schedule games and practices at the same time on the one field. No way to make it happen. Besides the fact that I doubt the field could hold up to this much play. Another problem for me personally but would not factor in is I have boys who play Football and it is impossible to be at two places at one time for parents. I know other male and female sports already overlap, but that happens to be my two favorite (softball and football) and it would be tough on me. Again that's only a personal problem, but as I said, your idea IS what would be best for the sport and the girls involved.

Let's move volleyball....I just think it is not fair to the girls who have an interest in playing in college. 2 months of travel ball is hurting them while other states are playing up to 7 months of travel ball. Most of the schools are starting to play a fall schedule now anyway. This would also eliminate the pre-season dilemma that the TSSAA is in now. Start in August and the pre-season would be shortened automatically. It all makes too much sense just like "rsquared" said.

• 1 month later...

I can see your points on why it should be moved, but I do not think T$$AA will because of baseball being played in the spring and they want softball to stay with that sport and they will not want to do any thing that might take away for there Money machine Football.

I can see where it can only help the girls by coming out of summer ball and with that in mind the T$$AA will not do it.