Why do coaches do some things they do?

jrdcfan

QUOTE(jrdcfan @ Jan 24 2007 - 03:49 PM) 826344293[/snapback]

Well in this case I think the bench players could be those who could help them win some of the close games they have played. I have heard some players that start smoke, drink and have a good time. So they run out of energy too quick and cant keep up with the pace. Coach dont seem to care lets just keep them in their until the game is lost. I think they have some talent on the bench that needs working with. I feel a couple of these will make a big difference in the next couple of years. If they hang in there.

Nice job of spreading rumors about high school players. Did your player sitting on the bench let you know those things? You should make sure she's shooting for an hour or two on her own, get her playing AAU, whatever, to advance, if you don't think the coach is capable.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hedgehog @ Jan 24 2007 - 07:23 PM) 826344590[/snapback]

Consider this. I know coaches who have not put players in simialr game situations simply to keep them from embarrassing themselves. . . and their parents. On the other hand, the coach may be telling the kids exactly what their worth to the team is. Ask the coach and see what he says.

Hedge, that is the first thing that I thought about. I surely don't want to put anyone out there that isn't ready. That is one thing I try to always look out for.

QUOTE(Rup11 @ Jan 24 2007 - 06:15 PM) 826344510[/snapback]

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Are you a parent or one of the subs or could you be one of the ones who quit?

The truth is the coach does not care about every young lady on the team. Building confidence in every player on the team is the coaches responsibility. I agree with the comment, Cut them once, but don't cut them deep every year by allowing them on the team with no intention of playing them. Be man or woman enough to tell them they are the practice squad.

I agree. If a game is won or lost by that big a margin, they should have got more than 30 seconds. And yes, I have done some coaching. If a kid is capable of embarrassing herself and her family in 3 or 4 minutes of playing time, then you should have cut her to start with.

Nobody expects them to come in and score 44 pts. The playing time, when possible, is a reward for all of the hard work and sweat and pain and bruises they took in all those hard practices, where they ran and shot and hustled and worked just as hard as the starters, even though they knew they had only minimal playing time coming. If you use them as practice dummies or to make your starters better, or whatever, in practice all summer, fall, and winter, then reward them with a few minutes playing time in a blowout game.

Coaches have different philosphies, along with school traidition. There are coaches/schools that play upper classmen, regardless of ability. Their thinking is the upperclassmen have put in the time and desesrve their chance on the court. There are coaches that play to win, but also take every opportunity to develop their young talent (smart coaches), and there are coaches that have to deal with politics (either in or out of their control). Odds are, you know the environmenet at your school. Sadly, the latter too often is the case. While it stinks, it is also an opportunity for your child to learn about the 'real world.' Companies/bosses/groups always have politics, and most people have to learn to deal with it. Sad, but true! While I did not see this specific game, or know the situation, I do know...that one of the three above was most likely the situation. Take this opportunity to teach your child the 'life' lesson vs. bashing the coach or system... That is the true blessing of girls in sports. They are now learning the lessons that their male counterparts learned decades ago that helped them excel in the workforce. Girls that participate in sports are now learning how to be leaders, compete, and be team players. Women's sports are making the playing field equal in the workforce (pun intended).

Thanks for all the comments to the previous question I know God is in control in everything that is said and done. I have turned this situation over to God and I know whatever happens is meant to be. As far as rumors I know it is fact and not rumors. The excuses are part of the problem. politics and friends of family. As far as getting wrapped up I don't think that is the problem. The coach always looks at the bench and back to the clock. Has the same routine every game. As far as embrassing people the starting team is just as embrassing as anyone else could be. There have been only a couple of close games all year most are lost by 20, 30, 40+ points. If your family and friends love you enough then I don't think they would encourage you to play if they thought you would embrass them.

QUOTE(jrdcfan @ Jan 25 2007 - 11:49 AM) 826345418[/snapback]

Thanks for all the comments to the previous question I know God is in control in everything that is said and done. I have turned this situation over to God and I know whatever happens is meant to be. As far as rumors I know it is fact and not rumors. The excuses are part of the problem. politics and friends of family. As far as getting wrapped up I don't think that is the problem. The coach always looks at the bench and back to the clock. Has the same routine every game. As far as embrassing people the starting team is just as embrassing as anyone else could be. There have been only a couple of close games all year most are lost by 20, 30, 40+ points. If your family and friends love you enough then I don't think they would encourage you to play if they thought you would embrass them.

Again I ask the question: Are you a parent of one of the subs? are you one of the subs? or are you someone who quit? Sure sounds like sour grapes!!!!

QUOTE(Rup11 @ Jan 25 2007 - 12:01 PM) 826345439[/snapback]

Again I ask the question: Are you a parent of one of the subs? are you one of the subs? or are you someone who quit? Sure sounds like sour grapes!!!!

Have you ever thought that they could be just a concerned fan with an opinion? I dont think you need to be calling anyone a sour grape after reading some of your immature insults that, frankly, crack me up. But back to the topic, yeah, i think the coach made a mental error in the game by not clearing out the bench before the game ended. But hey, jrdcfan, things happen. The future is looking bright!

If (and it sounds like it is)its customary at that school for the 2nd string to play only the last few minutes of the game no matter if winning or loosing by a lot, then I don't think I would complain. Because if it was my daughter that was a starter that means she has earned the right to play as long as the coach sees fit. And when the other girls have worked on their game and improved enough to be a starter then and only then do they deserve all the playing time the coach sees fit. I have heard enough about poor pitiful whoever that don't play enough....how many hours has your daughter spent outside of practice to get better?...does she love the game?... have you worked with her to make her a better player. When and if that happens then god willing, you will have a starter on your hands and can quit complaining.

And this is an opinion of a Father who has a daughter(soph) who plays and sits on the bench most of the time.

QUOTE(NeWbLuE @ Jan 25 2007 - 06:32 PM) 826345986[/snapback]

If (and it sounds like it is)its customary at that school for the 2nd string to play only the last few minutes of the game no matter if winning or loosing by a lot, then I don't think I would complain. Because if it was my daughter that was a starter that means she has earned the right to play as long as the coach sees fit. And when the other girls have worked on their game and improved enough to be a starter then and only then do they deserve all the playing time the coach sees fit. I have heard enough about poor pitiful whoever that don't play enough....how many hours has your daughter spent outside of practice to get better?...does she love the game?... have you worked with her to make her a better player. When and if that happens then god willing, you will have a starter on your hands and can quit complaining.

And this is an opinion of a Father who has a daughter(soph) who plays and sits on the bench most of the time.

I may sound like a broken record. If the coach determines someone is good enough to dress out with the varsity, it is their responsibility to put them in at the right time. (Such as out of control games)

I don't propose this for H.S. but I would like to see some of these coaches coach a rec team that has playing requirements. That takes real talent. Figuring out when and how to use stronger players yet supplement with weaker players. Your goal is still to win, and make it fun for all.

If you want your bench players to quit practicing hard 100%, and quit giving their all, then leave them on the end of the bench and show them there's no hope of going in and they're not really a part of the team. Then when you need them, you got nothing.

Don't act like the starting 5 on every team is the 5 who are the most talented and work the hardest away from practice or at practice. Most of us are smart enough or have been around long enough to know that politics, personal feelings, etc. can also play a part. Sometimes the coach doesn't like you. Sometimes it's a matter of which 5 fit together the best out on the floor together. Sometimes the coach is teaching a lesson.

Regardless, if you want your team to be a TEAM, then it's not asking a lot to give the bench some playing time in a blowout. That's not whining, that's just being smart and fair.

At my daughter's school, there are only two players who don't see almost equal playing time. One is a soph. who is less talented than the rest, and the other is a freshman. They still get plenty of playing time in blowout wins or losses. They've won several games by 30 - 40 point margins, so why wouldn't you let them play?