Poorest sport of them all

StarsPres

QUOTE(unc4life @ Jan 27 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826347985[/snapback]

I was glad to hear siegel came out w/ the win especially if the principal of cookeville acted so classless... yes sportsmans ship has been an issue this year and u wonder where it is getting taught from??faculty are there to be leaders and shld be that. if the refs were on the ball they shld have noticed this going on. only comment is classless plan and simple. let the teams play it out and the fans chear them on and may the best team win.

It is true that the Nation is partison. What student body does a School and its fans want them to be. If bounds are needed and they are in most things, some need to complain about it. An AP is in charge of monitoring the group and there have been some action taken if anyone gets frisky. That said, if they are successful and fall within the rules, why do other schools not encourage their cheering sections to attend games and cheer their teams.

While the situation with the camera and flashes very likely needs to be dropped, the full story of this situation has not been posted. The post only touches a small part of what was going on. Cookeville and Siegel as well as other teams in 7AAA have a good relationship with each other and it generally is a hard fought relationship. It needs to stay that way and takes the officials and the Association who calls the games to be independent and the people in charge, and that also includes security, to insure fans follow rules. HOWEVER. fans were not the issue here. Siegel and Cookeville fans did not even know what was going on. Only a few. The fans were the best and partison as ever. Maybe we all do need to look at the situations but if someone at a school is sitting in the friont row and flashes lights twards the floor all night and especially in a second overtime and causes one player to shoot an air ball on a free throw, one may need to look at the rules. I'm not really sure it is against the rules and takes some officials judgement which was asked for and forgotten. Who is in charge? If security is not responsible for enforcing that type rule and the officials will not although they have seen it, where does the situation go to resolve it. This again is the old argument that , "We need to be able to use some judgement". IMO, this is a blackmark again on the Association which provides officials for the area and continues to be a long list of forgotten infractions that continue to be seen. There is NOT oversight no matter if it is AAA, AA, or A. This is not a new District with new schools. This and other Districts around it are established. The Association is playing by its own rules. That is not their perogative.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sports24 @ Jan 27 2007 - 09:23 AM) 826347975[/snapback]

I think it's odd for Siegel to complain about sportsmanship (although this situation with the camera sounds like it was). I have observed their crowd taunting others unmercilessly in the past couple of years. Maybe it's time for all to analyze their own behavior and remember its just a game.

The "crowd" you are referring to in this situation is a group of high school students, not parents or authority figures. This situation is different because it was an authority figure from Cookeville who was flashing the camera. This sounds like it was a poor example of leadership and sportsmanship.

QUOTE(LAMBA3 @ Jan 27 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826348059[/snapback]

The "crowd" you are referring to in this situation is a group of high school students, not parents or authority figures. This situation is different because it was an authority figure from Cookeville who was flashing the camera. This sounds like it was a poor example of leadership and sportsmanship.

Yes, and I think all "authority figures" need to behave themselves AND their crowd. (siegel included)

QUOTE(senator @ Jan 26 2007 - 11:14 PM) 826347699[/snapback]

I personally know the principle and find this hard to believe I live in different county but know mr shanks well do you know it was him and why would he be taking pictures

You may be the only person that knows the principle and finds this inexcusable act hard to believe.

If either video shows that the principle only took 'flash' pictures when the opposing team attempted free throws, then he should be banned from all future sporting events involving all high schools, not just CHS. Anyone that so blatantly attempts to affect an outcome of a 'kids' game with this (or similar behavior) should not be allowed any 'second' chances.......

QUOTE(SportsWizard @ Jan 27 2007 - 05:45 PM) 826348464[/snapback]

If this is true, he should be fired. I hope the person reporting this knows what they are talking about because it will be investigated!!!!!

Then you better be ready to fire or ban every media photographer, because it is a common practice for them to stand under the basket and photograph players at the foul line. For example, my daughter was photographed last year at the foul line just as she released the ball. Ironically, it was taken last year against Siegel at Siegel.

If Shanks was purposely trying to distract the players, then he should be ashamed. As an administrator, he should be above that. If he was trying to make a record of an important game, then I see no problem.

I would like to see the pictures put on the school web site as proof of his motivation.

Guest basketballforever

i was at the game and didnt even notice the camera thing going on, maybe siegel people looking for excuses sounds like to me... and i happen to know that mr. shanks is all about sportsman ship and would not do anything to distract the other teams players, besides that it didnt seem to bother the girls since they shot very well from behind the line!

QUOTE(basketballforever @ Jan 27 2007 - 08:01 PM) 826348563[/snapback]

i was at the game and didnt even notice the camera thing going on, maybe siegel people looking for excuses sounds like to me... and i happen to know that mr. shanks is all about sportsman ship and would not do anything to distract the other teams players, besides that it didnt seem to bother the girls since they shot very well from behind the line!

why wld they be looking 4 excuses? didnt siegel win? a yeah thought so...guess his plan didnt work.