Sequatchie over Whitwell

Indian

If the coach has to choose between being all kind and sweet to Marion, and not being prepared for the next game against a pretty good Van Buren team, then sorry Marion. What good does it do Marion when a team backs off early? And I think you're missing the point entirely, the point wasn't to disgrace Marion. The coach has to put her own team first, the responsibility of Marion doing well or not doing well is that of their own coach. If you still think they went out and tried to humiliate Marion just because they could then you haven't seen many of their games this year that could have been much worse. It became clear holding back against some of the teams in the district was hurting them in other games, if you don't understand that then nothing else said will convince you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your problem is pressing then there are a couple things teams can do. If it's not completly wide open (which you have to take) then the player can just pull the ball out and set up the half court offense.

And thanks for the compliments guys. I really do watch too much of this stuff though.

QUOTE(Indian @ Jan 28 2007 - 04:20 PM) 826349432[/snapback]

They've not been playing well and needed to go more than just a quarter or two before letting up. Doing so against Hixson and Notre Dame hurt them against Soddy-Daisy. They didn't press the entire game against Hixson and it was a very sloppy game. Slowing down the tempo and not going all out on defense, then having to pick it back up the next game is not as easy as it might sound. They've been at or over 50 points at halftime several times this year and didn't score 100 though they could have probably, so the chances to run it up have been there and weren't taken. Not sure why pressing is considered so bad anyway even when you're ahead, especially when it's just part of a team's normal game. The backups have to learn it too, and in most JV games they don't because teams they play can't get it across halfcourt and they can't learn any halfcourt defense.

Thats a dog crap answer indian........ask coach barker how she enjoyed her first year of people beating the living daylights out of her when she didnt have talent.....aske her how much she enjoyed talking to her team after a game getting drilled "because the backups had to learn too"....you all have a very talented girls team and obviously a very talented coach since she gets the most out of them.....but things do come back to you so if sequatchies talent goes down i sure as heck dont want to see u on here crying about it when its on u

QUOTE(Indian @ Jan 28 2007 - 06:19 PM) 826349492[/snapback]

If the coach has to choose between being all kind and sweet to Marion, and not being prepared for the next game against a pretty good Van Buren team, then sorry Marion. What good does it do Marion when a team backs off early? And I think you're missing the point entirely, the point wasn't to disgrace Marion. The coach has to put her own team first, the responsibility of Marion doing well or not doing well is that of their own coach. If you still think they went out and tried to humiliate Marion just because they could then you haven't seen many of their games this year that could have been much worse. It became clear holding back against some of the teams in the district was hurting them in other games, if you don't understand that then nothing else said will convince you.

Did I say anything about early? When the score is 52-19 that is NOT EARLY!! Again you proved my point. One day it'll turn around on you and I hope you remember this conversation when you're down that much and the other team continues their poor sportsmanship and lack of class with their win. High school sports is a way to teach life long lessons and the only lesson being taught here is eventhough you're on top keep getting regardless of any harm or humiliation you're doing to anyone else.

I think one thing some of you don't know is also how young Sequatchie is they have 14 players on the team with only two seniors both starters the other three starters are Sophmores. They also have two Juniors one of them in her first year on the team. The rest of the team is eight Sophmores and two Freshmen. When they sub its usually one Junior and four Sophmores followed by the other four players as needed.

If this team was a senior dominate team I could see some of your points about the way the team plays but they are young and still learning. They are trying to set there self up for a state tournament run not just this year but over the next two or three years and I am sorry to say outside one or two teams the district doesn't provide the constant competition every couple of games so they have to use almost every game as a practice to learn sure Sequatchie kept pressure on most of the game even with backups and the two freshmen in the game but they also had some players playing diffrent positions so if they ever need to move someone around the new postion want be all that new and confusing if they have had the chance to play it before.

Not trying to make excuses for anybody. If they wanted to run it up on teams this year they would have put 100 on East Ridge and Hixson when they had the chance. The truth is they were not sharp after not pressuring Hixson, like I said to the other poster, if you can't understand that nothing more will make you believe it.

QUOTE(The Red Baron @ Jan 27 2007 - 07:27 PM) 826348537[/snapback]

After watching the Whitwell game I can now see why Soddy Daisy shot almost 40 Free Throws...Whitwell wasn't so fortunate in getting calls. The entire Sequatchie team should have fouled out in the first half.

What game were you watching???

And if you know what you are watching you might want to get your self a copy of the soddy game. When the game starts out with a foul against Sequatchie for a hand check, and as soon as soddy get the ball they come down the court pushing off, and nothing called ???? something is wrong. Sequatchie had like 15 going into the half and soddy had 3,??? somethings wrong. Lots of sorry calls you have to see to believe.

The Lady Indians could have played better, But they were wronged on the calling of that game.

"Play tour game Ladys"

He didn't see the game, I'm sure, that was the problem. His first post ever was to get on here and complain about the Whitwell game, or at least his first post under the screen name. Again, Seq did foul a lot against Soddy, too much, but what was being called on one end wasn't on the other. Another post talked about Coach Barker's first team getting beaten badly, yes they did, instead of complaining about getting the score run up she and the girls and their parents have built the program.

Teams usually run in cycles. I remember Tennessee Temple's boys beat up on EVERYONE but soon they won't be as good as they once were. And believe me teams will take revenge.

What goes around comes around.

I'm sure Sequatchie will eventually see some humiliation (to use your words). My team sees humiliation.

Our boys played the number 8 team in the land (at one point). We eventually lost by 40 but they kept playing their pressure defense with their backups. Why? Games are used to move foward and prepare you for the tourny. Not set you back.

So keep playing hard Lady Indians (what am I cheering on a district rival? lol).

QUOTE(Indian @ Jan 28 2007 - 11:01 PM) 826349880[/snapback]

He didn't see the game, I'm sure, that was the problem. His first post ever was to get on here and complain about the Whitwell game, or at least his first post under the screen name. Again, Seq did foul a lot against Soddy, too much, but what was being called on one end wasn't on the other. Another post talked about Coach Barker's first team getting beaten badly, yes they did, instead of complaining about getting the score run up she and the girls and their parents have built the program.

I also said you have avery good team and very talented coach....I dont doubt for one second they work their tails off....but....why not work on half court man to man when the game is way out of reach in the fourth quarter.......thats all im saying if its 50 to whatever 19 in the 4th a team isnt going to score 31 points to beat you......work on playing with class as much as you work on the press and you'll truly get better.....ive heard numerous sequatchie fans including girls parents complain about running the score up....so indian you and sequatchie play it up however you want but class is class and you both know it

QUOTE(TNbBall23 @ Jan 29 2007 - 06:39 AM) 826349958[/snapback]

I also said you have avery good team and very talented coach....I dont doubt for one second they work their tails off....but....why not work on half court man to man when the game is way out of reach in the fourth quarter.......thats all im saying if its 50 to whatever 19 in the 4th a team isnt going to score 31 points to beat you......work on playing with class as much as you work on the press and you'll truly get better.....ive heard numerous sequatchie fans including girls parents complain about running the score up....so indian you and sequatchie play it up however you want but class is class and you both know it

One thing these girls have is class --- on and off the court. They are a group of fine young girls. They represent Sequatchie County well athletically and academically. When girls play YEAR-ROUND basketball to improve their skills, they want to be able to use it. If the competition is not as strong as what you would like in the district, you still have to play those games. The girls should not be asked to give anything less than 100% on each game.

Trying different players in different positions on press defenses is how you get better. You can not wait to try new things during a closely matched game. Humiliation was not the intent I assure you. Only to make the girls learn more about the game.