Sequatchie over Whitwell

Indian

QUOTE(Luvshoops @ Jan 29 2007 - 08:11 AM) 826349973[/snapback]

Trying different players in different positions on press defenses is how you get better. You can not wait to try new things during a closely matched game.

When we played at Sequatchie (we lost by 40) they still pressed into the 3rd and possibly 4th quarter. I heard not one person complain about that. We know they were trying to improve their team. I did notice Sequatchie moved Ledford off the ball in the press and moved her to the back and had no one on ball. Still pressing. But moving players around and trying new things.

(Hey we broke that last press most of the time!)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Luvshoops @ Jan 29 2007 - 08:11 AM) 826349973[/snapback]

One thing these girls have is class --- on and off the court. They are a group of fine young girls. They represent Sequatchie County well athletically and academically. When girls play YEAR-ROUND basketball to improve their skills, they want to be able to use it. If the competition is not as strong as what you would like in the district, you still have to play those games. The girls should not be asked to give anything less than 100% on each game.

Trying different players in different positions on press defenses is how you get better. You can not wait to try new things during a closely matched game. Humiliation was not the intent I assure you. Only to make the girls learn more about the game.

I agree. Plus a girls' JV game is played nearly every day a varsity game is played. That's four quarters for those girls, on some nights this year the backups played minutes probably adding up to six quarters, starters playing minutes adding up to maybe two quarters. You need time on the court to get better. Pressure against CCS was not as intense in the second half, they were ahead 49-7 at the half and won 75-38.

QUOTE(Indian @ Jan 28 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826349834[/snapback]

Not trying to make excuses for anybody. If they wanted to run it up on teams this year they would have put 100 on East Ridge and Hixson when they had the chance. The truth is they were not sharp after not pressuring Hixson, like I said to the other poster, if you can't understand that nothing more will make you believe it.

The thing that some overlook about SCHS and them continuing to press is the fact that District, Region, Sub State and State touneys are coming up and they WILL have to keep the pressure on the entire game. If there is foul trouble the subs WILL have to keep the pressure on. Just because teams in the area aren't as good as SCHS isn't really a reason to not press. SCHS, just like most teams in the valley, has a window of opportunity to achieve GREAT success. It is just hard to maintain a long, long, long run of greatness with teams from smaller counties. Does anyone remember when the MCHS Warriors were DOMINANT in football not just in the valley, area but the state??? What happened?? They lost Colquette yes, but the main reason is that they just ran out of talent to compete at a high level. It is both what you hate but also what makes winning a State Title so sweet for teams in the rural areas. JMHO!!!

Absolutly. This is a small window of time for Sequatchie. They (them, coaches, alumni, parents etc) all want them to go as far as possible. You gotta play your best no matter who you're playing each and every night to get better... so you play your best at the end of the season.

Years from now they might have a semi lousy team... and might get beat up by some other teams... just like what they do now. These things run in cycles.

Sequatchie defeated Van Buren Co. tonight 76-16

It was I think the best overall game they have played since the Dec. 8th game against Grundy Co. if not the best game they have played all year. It seemed like every shot they took went in. All but the two Freshmen players played and out of the ones that played I think maybe all but one scored.

QUOTE(Luvshoops @ Jan 29 2007 - 07:11 AM) 826349973[/snapback]

One thing these girls have is class --- on and off the court. They are a group of fine young girls. They represent Sequatchie County well athletically and academically. When girls play YEAR-ROUND basketball to improve their skills, they want to be able to use it. If the competition is not as strong as what you would like in the district, you still have to play those games. The girls should not be asked to give anything less than 100% on each game.

Trying different players in different positions on press defenses is how you get better. You can not wait to try new things during a closely matched game. Humiliation was not the intent I assure you. Only to make the girls learn more about the game.

These girls do have CLASS and as I said before, most of them are in the top 10 of their class Way to go Lady Indians. Good students, Good Athletes

"Play your game, Ladys"

QUOTE(Sequatchie @ Jan 29 2007 - 10:23 PM) 826351128[/snapback]

Sequatchie defeated Van Buren Co. tonight 76-16

It was I think the best overall game they have played since the Dec. 8th game against Grundy Co. if not the best game they have played all year. It seemed like every shot they took went in. All but the two Freshmen players played and out of the ones that played I think maybe all but one scored.

I went to this game tonight....I was impressed more by Sequatchie's play....The Van Buren fans didn't like it much by Coach Barker "running" up the score but when the Districts, etc. are coming up I understand her intensity.....Catherine Barker seemed like she couldn't miss tonight...I counted 19 points that she had, not sure how many she ended up with.... There were a few calls against Van Buren that were very iffy, but it didn't matter because by that time the game was 58-9 or something like that....

This has got to be the most ridiculous conversation I have ever seen. These girls go a lot of places getting better everytime they can. Some have another coach come down on weekends to help there game. These girls have great attitudes and do not like "running the score up" on other teams. But you who think this, do you not think other teams would do that to Seq. if they were able? And as for the comment about the "Barkers" I think its histarical that you post that Alan Baker and Anita Barker are just out to completely kill other teams. For 1. Have you seen the Middle School Team? For 2. When the High School girls now were younger they went off to Gatlinburg EVERY summer and knowing when they went up there that teams were going to kill them, but looking at it as hey, that just makes us better in the long run..for 4 years these girls done this with that attitude and look at them now(in the long run) they are a great team. Also, if Anita & Alan Barker & the Sequatchie County Lady Indians got on here worrying about what others have to say.. who knows how they`d be playing..These girls have learned to take the heat of other people who dislike them or the coach just b/c they are good and go out there and play the ball game that they have practiced for since they were in the 2nd & 3rd grade!

Go Lady Indians!

QUOTE(gametime08 @ Feb 4 2007 - 12:08 PM) 826357889[/snapback]

This has got to be the most ridiculous conversation I have ever seen. These girls go a lot of places getting better everytime they can. Some have another coach come down on weekends to help there game. These girls have great attitudes and do not like "running the score up" on other teams. But you who think this, do you not think other teams would do that to Seq. if they were able? And as for the comment about the "Barkers" I think its histarical that you post that Alan Baker and Anita Barker are just out to completely kill other teams. For 1. Have you seen the Middle School Team? For 2. When the High School girls now were younger they went off to Gatlinburg EVERY summer and knowing when they went up there that teams were going to kill them, but looking at it as hey, that just makes us better in the long run..for 4 years these girls done this with that attitude and look at them now(in the long run) they are a great team. Also, if Anita & Alan Barker & the Sequatchie County Lady Indians got on here worrying about what others have to say.. who knows how they`d be playing..These girls have learned to take the heat of other people who dislike them or the coach just b/c they are good and go out there and play the ball game that they have practiced for since they were in the 2nd & 3rd grade!

Go Lady Indians!

Well said.