Public Schools that recruit like private schools

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Feb 20 2007 - 09:45 PM) 826381815[/snapback]Geez supersteve...facts spoil all the fun.

He should get his facts right if he wants to spoil the fun because according to the link he gave that number is "almost" not "over" 29,000 it doesn't really matter but that number has just recently been increased.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

old 24eagle...you accused me of not caring about other`s opinions so I`m asking your opinion on this.

That money issue keeps getting brought up. Like I have said before and I`m sorry to keep bringing it up, but when my son`s public school was in 3A baseball we really busted our butts as a booster group with several fundraisers and earned around 20,000 dollars. On the other hand Germantown who was also in 3A and located in a wealthy suburb of Memphis raised over 70,000. That figure is very conservative. I think the article actually said around 90,000, but my poor memory hates to distort the facts so I`ll stay with the safe 70,000. Im just gonna ask you one question. Should we have a legitimate gripe to complain about money?

That was my reply to a previous post of yours and I asked you a question. It`s hard to find out your opinion when you don`t reply.

QUOTE(KublahKD @ Feb 21 2007 - 03:28 PM) 826383150[/snapback]Umm, to the topic at hand:

http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtop...48578&st=48

Go read that. Then, think about the backlash that would occur if private school fans weree saying the same thing.

"can't blame me for making a very welcome and openarmed invitation to any and all help we can get." - YoungBlood44

It would be the Salem Private ... err, Witch trials all over again!

Gee..should I be whining since Liberty has players zoned for JCM.

I swear it just ticks me off to see adults complain and whine about other schools that do better than their school does. It`s just so lame. I wish they`d grow up and learn to focus on supporting their own kids. That`s the important thing they can do. If they would take the time they waste complaining about things they percieve as unfair and give it to their own kids they would be much better off.

QUOTE(old24eagle @ Feb 21 2007 - 02:39 PM) 826383024[/snapback]He should get his facts right if he wants to spoil the fun because according to the link he gave that number is "almost" not "over" 29,000 it doesn't really matter but that number has just recently been increased.

I stand corrected. Please accept my apologies. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone. I'm sure you aren't either. My point remains the same. You said that teachers in your area make 25 to 27 G. I simply pointed out that the state mandated MINIMUM for a teacher with 0 years experience and a bachelor's degree is $28,000+. That MINIMUM goes up with each year's experience and with advanced levels of education (Master's degree, etc.). That also does not include any coaching supplements (which I know are miniscule).

I'm not really trying to "spoil" anyone's fun. I just like it when discussion is based on facts when facts are available.

QUOTE(Indian @ Feb 21 2007 - 10:27 PM) 826383673[/snapback]It's been said on here plenty of times having tons more teachable students and for coaches, coachable athletes, helps make up for any less pay.

I don't think any of us are complaining about our pay Indian, I was simply making the point to Eagle that the small privates don't have the money to pay large salaries to get elite coaches. He had said as much in a previous post. My point was that in reality the teachers and coaches at the small privates make LESS than those who teach at public schools. Thus the "you can get better coaches because you offer better salaries" argument is groundless.

QUOTE(Indian @ Feb 21 2007 - 11:59 PM) 826383973[/snapback]So those saying it were blowing smoke? Why would they?

Many, or perhaps even most, teachers I know in public OR private school settings teach for more than the money. They view teaching as their "mission" or "purpose" in life. Most are more educated than many people in the professional world and could probably make more money in another profession. I have great respect for those who choose to touch young lives in the teaching profession.

While a less paying job might be more rewarding in some ways, the bottom line is the bottom line. A teacher that makes less money because he/she desires to remain in a certain setting (small community-based public, private Christian school, etc.) usually has to sacrifice something of a material nature in order to stay there.

Most teachers I know can't hardly afford to blow smoke!