Tri-County Seven - 28 January, 2006

krichunaka

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Jan 30 2007 - 03:26 PM) 826351808[/snapback]

GLee, I believe you excerpted me; how cool.

And incidentally, those of you who are holding your votes until after tonight's games, you should realize that this week's polls are based on last week's games.

No harm intended. Just used you a bit

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GLee @ Jan 30 2007 - 08:59 PM) 826352237[/snapback]

Unicoi's attempt to rough it up inside backfired. Although I thought the Cyclones began the 'run the clock' mode a bit too early (mid 3rd qtr. up by 18+), they cruised to an easy victory with a stellar team defensive effort. Shots did not come easy for the Devils, inside or out. Big Pet cleared the paint along with Lil Pet and Bush. The perimeter D was a match to the inside D. Great physical effort from the Cyclones!

The Cyclone posts have always been able to out number and neutralize Mainer. The Cyclone guards have always been able to contain Barnett and Engle ( except in 1 JV game three years ago when Engle torched them for 27). Control the big three and you beat the Devils.

GLee, No offense taken; I'm honored. A minor disagreement that it was Unicoi County that attempted to rough it up inside; because, and I mean this in a good way, to say that, I feel, takes a little something from the great effort by a Very Determined, Very Physical group of Lady Cyclones. They simply wouldn't be denied, no matter the Unicoi County approach. From the jump-ball, BOTH teams were determined to play a physical game.

I do agree about the premature stall; however, it's only fair to remind ourselves that the Lady Cyclones hit a few layups out of that scheme in the game at Elizabethton. It wasn't nearly as effective tonight, and the turnovers were a bit of a concern.

"The (Lady) Cyclone posts have always been able to out-number and neutralize Mainer." That statement by coachh17 sums it up perfectly; and that's been the essense of this series the past two seasons. I hit a nerve with some when I appeared a bit too complimentary toward Alisha Mainer after last season's district final. But she is a terrific basketball player. Tonight she hit a couple nice shots, and made a few good moves under the basket. She's a talent. And the lob over Michaela (a very rare feat in and of itself) at the 4:06 mark in the fourth quarter, though too little, too late, was beautiful (unfortunately, I didn't record who made the assist). But as long as the 3-Ms are around, Alisha is fighting an uphill battle.

Ultimately, it's exactly as CycloneFan put it. The credit should go to Elizabethton's DEFENSE. Unicoi County isn't as multi-dimensional as in previous seasons, but ONE POINT for nearly two quarters? Come on. That's Outstanding DEFENSE!

rough it up!? physical !? Wow, it was a war zone in the paint the first half. Big Pet needed a standing 8 count there in the second quarter. Coach Weems handled that. Defensive intensity was probable as high as it has been this year. Unicoi did not seem to get many clean looks at the basket from anywhere on the floor. The perimeter D was the differance in the game. GREAT win, of course any time you go to the Devil's Den and win is something to be proud of. Coach Fisher is a very good coach and I am sure he will get them back up for their next game and tournament time so this season is not over.

Just read the Doug Fritz article on last night's Elizabethton at Unicoi County game. It's very good, and can be found at http://johnsoncitypress.com/Sports.php.

According to the Press, the Pietrowskis accounted for 26 points, 19 rebounds, four assists, four steals and four blocked shots (though it appeared they blocked a hundred).

Meanwhile, Alisha Mainer had 14 points and nine rebounds, and Payge Barnett scored 11 points for the Lady Blue Devils. So, though the two big names for Unicoi County managed to nearly equal the point total of the big two for Elizabethton, the rebounding by the two six-footers and Marti was the significant advantage for Elizabethton. And ultimately, the Lady Cyclones got a lot more production from the rest of their team. Coach Weems praised his seniors (Brianne Gouge, Victoria Hopson, Michaela Pietrowski, and Marti Bush).

Elizabethton's scoring was held down in the second half due to 'running' the clock. Everyone's numbers could have been better had Weems chosen to continue running his regular offense thru the 3rd quarter. He coached to win and it is hard to second guess that

Guess they all 'coach to win'?

QUOTE(GLee @ Jan 31 2007 - 02:37 PM) 826353312[/snapback]

Elizabethton's scoring was held down in the second half due to 'running' the clock. Everyone's numbers could have been better had Weems chosen to continue running his regular offense thru the 3rd quarter. He coached to win and it is hard to second guess that

Guess they all 'coach to win'?

I'm not second-guessing anyone, however, I agreed with your suggestion that the stall probably began a little early. I also mentioned the spread offense was quite productive in the fourth quarter in Elizabethton.

Barnett started hitting baskets late in the third, which might have prompted the change of pace; but second-quessing? Not me, not now.

Its not really a "stall"; its a motion based offense, where you are attempting to shoot layups on cuts/backcuts, or force them to foul. And it did work well in the game at EHS with Unicoi. EHS could have kept the pedal to the metal and perhaps won by a wider margin, or the faster pace could have allowed Unicoi more opportunities to get back in the game. Ultimately, as both Glee and Krich pointed out, the stategy worked, cause they won and the margin never got too dicey.

Elizabethton is playing good team ball right now, on both ends of the court.