Henry County vs Clarksville (Can the Pats defeat this juggernaut?)

PatFan20

Caldwell is a solid player. He was the key to the early run in 3rd period 7-9 consecutive points. I missed the first game played at CHS but one of the broadcasters told me that CHS scored at will on the inside. The Pats D did a good job of making heavy traffic there in the first half and CHS did not seem to have and answer. In the second half with Caldwell penetration and Harper making the 3's the middle opened up in the fourth for a lot of inside baskets for CHS. The best part of CHS game may be their D, they force you to find ways to score on them.

HCHS I thought were ready to play and even after the big run in 3rd brought it back to 7 or 9 before CHS spread the floor again.

Where was the crowd? Flu??? Cold weather???

Looking forward to a very good tournament.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought the boys did alright last night. Wished we could have won but Clarksville is honestly a better team and sometimes thats just how it is! They've got three legitimate scorers in Harper, Caldwell, and Merriweather. They can create their own shot and that is nice to have if your Ted Young( Clarksville's coach) Not really sure what we could have done any different that would of helped us. Tried the zone and Harper ate it up. Tried manning them and was fairly successful for most of the game. Don't think that we could have pressed them so got to give them credit for being a good team. Not as good as the Clarksville team that had Shawn Marion and Trenton Hassell but definitely a solid team. I''d give them an 8.5 out of 10.

Congrats to HC on a good fought game last night! They didn't string four quarter together, but I'd say they did a good job for 3 and a half. CHS had a run to start the third that HC never quite recovered from. CHS is a very solid ball team (ranked #4 in the state) and HC showed some great strides proving that they are capable of playing with anyone. Much improved this time around boys! Ball game ended up 15, well I guess actually 17 since CHS tried for an alley-oop at the buzzer, (not sure about those tactics when you already have the game won), but anyways... Great job Patritots keep working and you'll have a chance to do something great this year!!

Go Big Red!

Clarksville is a team that usually has a dominating quarter that puts the game out of reach, and that was the case last night. This is a very good team, but I'd like to see them play for a full 4 quarters. #24 is arguably their best player at the point. He's quick and aggressive with a solid shot. Henry and Springfield's hopes really hang on being able to press and create turnovers, and #24 is the reason why that is hard to do. #10 is a solid player. He's more than just a shooter. As for Merriweather, last night he was kept in check for the most part. Defensively, he's a great weapon underneath with his shot-blocking ability. He allows the other defenders to overplay on the wings without fear of being backdoored. However most of his points that I've seen come in transition, putbacks, and off penetration from #24. He does have some moves in the low post, but he doesn't score most of his points from there. This trio is the core to this team. Zone probably won't work against them. Your best bet is to halfcourt man, best on ball defender on #24, never leave #10, and maybe double #10 on the block with another defender. Overall a very good high school team, and one I'd really like to see challenged before the year is over with.