Sequoyah Football

Sequoyah SID

Yes, lots of improvements have been made and there is still a long way to go. There are still things that can be done to make this team better. For one it seems that the guys up in the box are not getting the adjustments that are needed down to the field. Second our offense does not have the variety that it will need to have a shot at winning this region.

What adjustments are you specifically talking about? How would you know what is talked about? Again I here the ax grinding and so does everyone else. Why don't you ask Coach Gregory how he felt about the input he got from the box? We talked about our plan extensively before the game and then tweaked it on what we could do better after the game. We were on the same page as what he wanted. He is one heck of a coach and I trust him and his judgment as far as game planning a calling a game emphatically. Does not have the variety?????? Mid line, Veer,speed option, Buck sweep, fullback trap, some wing T, the gun,screens, Utah pass, play action,power I, balanced formation(double wing), tight end, twins,super,trips,quads, You saying this offense hasn't enough variety shows your ignorance. Coach Martin said in the Athens paper after the game that he knew that he was in for a real game. That he had talked to enough coaches that had told him how improved the Chiefs were. He said " It is a very difficult offense to defend"Did you watch Navy beat Notre Dame they ran mid line and veer all day with one toss sweep(It is almost the same offense we run). Coach Gregory put just enough on those kids plate for them to learn and be efficient this year and they got better at it every single game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:

Variey needed to win this region? Howard lines up in Pro-I and runs off tackle or sweep EVERY PLAY. Polk doesnt have variety, line up and run it. ND's offense is too complicated for college. McMinn Central and Meigs have SOME variety but usually end up runnin the same plays. You dont need variety, just execute what you've got called. Every play is drawn up to score a touchdown.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Someone that knows what he is talking about. Well said!!!!!!!!!

What adjustments are you specifically talking about? How would you know what is talked about? Again I here the ax grinding and so does everyone else. Why don't you ask Coach Gregory how he felt about the input he got from the box? We talked about our plan extensively before the game and then tweaked it on what we could do better after the game. We were on the same page as what he wanted. He is one heck of a coach and I trust him and his judgment as far as game planning a calling a game emphatically. Does not have the variety?????? Mid line, Veer,speed option, Buck sweep, fullback trap, some wing T, the gun,screens, Utah pass, play action,power I, balanced formation(double wing), tight end, twins,super,trips,quads, You saying this offense hasn't enough variety shows your ignorance. Coach Martin said in the Athens paper after the game that he knew that he was in for a real game. That he had talked to enough coaches that had told him how improved the Chiefs were. He said " It is a very difficult offense to defend"Did you watch Navy beat Notre Dame they ran mid line and veer all day with one toss sweep(It is almost the same offense we run). Coach Gregory put just enough on those kids plate for them to learn and be efficient this year and they got better at it every single game.

Just to go a step further,ask the Meigs coaches what they thought about the offense. More than once they were looking for one thing and got the opposite. I for one am happy and satisfied with the coaching our kids received this year and feel like we are on our way.Everyone has an opinion to which they are entitled,just as I have my own opinions,which I keep to myself most of the time. These coaches are with the kids every day,they know who is giving the effort and who isn't. I feel for the most part they did a good job. Maybe I would have changed a playcall or 2,but I bet the coaches feel the same way at times. The old saying "hindsight is 20-20" most always holds true. The effort is there,the players are responding to this staff,better things are just around the corner,can't wait for next year after an off-season in the weight room. Coaches,stay together and keep building,we will get there! GO CHIEFS!

Just to go a step further,ask the Meigs coaches what they thought about the offense. More than once they were looking for one thing and got the opposite. I for one am happy and satisfied with the coaching our kids received this year and feel like we are on our way.Everyone has an opinion to which they are entitled,just as I have my own opinions,which I keep to myself most of the time. These coaches are with the kids every day,they know who is giving the effort and who isn't. I feel for the most part they did a good job. Maybe I would have changed a playcall or 2,but I bet the coaches feel the same way at times. The old saying "hindsight is 20-20" most always holds true. The effort is there,the players are responding to this staff,better things are just around the corner,can't wait for next year after an off-season in the weight room. Coaches,stay together and keep building,we will get there! GO CHIEFS!

In all fairness, Im sure the Meigs coaches knew exactly what you were gonna run the entire game. Hats off to the Seqoyah offensive line for makin it work anyway. I love the Double Wing option and its perfect for Sequoyah who, lets be honest, doesnt stand head and shoulders over other teams as far as talent goes. Change a play call? The offense was called great the whole night, the defense is just a year away from bein able to make the stops they need. If Sequoyah had a cornerback tall and physical enough to hang with Howie Meadows the whole night then Sequoyah probably would have won.

In all fairness, Im sure the Meigs coaches knew exactly what you were gonna run the entire game. Hats off to the Seqoyah offensive line for makin it work anyway. I love the Double Wing option and its perfect for Sequoyah who, lets be honest, doesnt stand head and shoulders over other teams as far as talent goes. Change a play call? The offense was called great the whole night, the defense is just a year away from bein able to make the stops they need. If Sequoyah had a cornerback tall and physical enough to hang with Howie Meadows the whole night then Sequoyah probably would have won.

I was talking about the whole year in general as far as play calls. You are also right,the coaches were calling some of the plays before they happened,they still worked because of the execution. That goes back to a previous post you made,"every play is designed to score",which is true when executed properly. There are very few palys I can recall this year I would like to have back,but there were a few. I bet coach Gregory feels the same way. Even so,it was a lack of execution that caused it not to be successful.The Meadows kid made some great plays when they needed them,the defense was there,just too short to stop him. All good points. On the 4th down play,the back was hit in the backfield(by a freshman),who used his strength to get the 1st down. Youth played a part in several games this year,which is why I look forward to next year. GO CHIEFS!

DITTO!!

Man I cant wait til next year, I really believe the Chiefs are playoff bound (NO PRESSURE) just keeping working hard men and good things will happen. Lets talk a little more about the season, the Chiefs really formed a jeckyl/hyde personality in the beggining but we really seen the confidence grow toward the end of the season. The o-line was very young and inexperienced but they will all be back except for one, line should really tough after a off season in the weight room. QB position was learn on the go for Moser but overall he did well. Next season he will have to work hard to keep the job. Actually everyone will have to work hard to keep their positions because most everyone will be back ( a great problem to have ). Im not sure but I think we started three freshmen in one game this season, I think it was Helms, Archer and Peels, then we had super soph's Workman and Jubar. That is alot of youth playing really well (future is bright). We lost a huge part of the plan early in the season with the oldest Helms going down with a broke leg, I hope he's able to overcome the injury and be a big part of next year. Wideouts are coming along, they delivered when we needed them to this season and they are getting better. Corvette, Helms (oldest), Brewster, Carson and Bell (youngest) will make up a great core of tallent to choose from and maybe the passing game will be huge next year. Running backs this will be tough to replace the power of Bowers and the speed of Webb, but White should be a monster next season at fullback, maybe Carson and Breeden will step up. Defensively I think Captain made it clear, they got the experience they needed this past season. Swarming was a good way to describe the defense in the box. Brackett will be missed but Payne and White should pick up the slack at Lbacker. The defensive line just really confused me this season, maybe it was just inexperience. Defensive backs is our biggest problem, its just not a secret, good luck coaches and I know you will figure it out. Special teams, Kick coverage was very descent this year, punter was young (it will get better), field kicker looked inexperienced but will get better, overall a descent job this season. Well I meant to talk alot about this past season but the future is so bright its hard to not talk about it. Anybody got anything on the future?

Captain you are very observant! You must of been a coach at sometime. Again Great post /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well, First of all the defensive backs only gave up two long passes that I can remember, and the first one Meigs had a turnover later in the drive in which Bell almost took back for a touchdown. So long passes did not get us beat. Meigs just took it and shoved it down our throat with a whole lot of misdirection off tackle plays. That we never stopped and never made an adjustment to stop. And as far as the veer goes if you want a shot at the region title you better dig a little deeper. And for play calling I probably stood there and accurately predicted about 90-95% of all our plays. And if I can tell what we are going to run with my limited football knowledge then no wonder we only won two games.

Well, First of all the defensive backs only gave up two long passes that I can remember, and the first one Meigs had a turnover later in the drive in which Bell almost took back for a touchdown. So long passes did not get us beat. Meigs just took it and shoved it down our throat with a whole lot of misdirection off tackle plays. That we never stopped and never made an adjustment to stop. And as far as the veer goes if you want a shot at the region title you better dig a little deeper. And for play calling I probably stood there and accurately predicted about 90-95% of all our plays. And if I can tell what we are going to run with my limited football knowledge then no wonder we only won two games.

That is what I talked about earlier. The Meigs coaches and the Polk coaches were calling plays from the sideline a lot,but we were still gaining yards. One thing for certain,we were inches from OT in the last game. As I said before,their player was hit in the backfield and just out powered our freshman for the 1st down. That happened a lot during the game. I think defensively,we will be fine with another years growth and work. As far as the offense,did you see Navy beat Pitt and ND with the same basic offense? I must admit,at first I did not like this offense. As the season went on,the boys executed better,and I could see where this offense could be very effective. Stay patient,I believe in our coaches and still think we are on the right track. GO CHIEFS!

That is what I talked about earlier. The Meigs coaches and the Polk coaches were calling plays from the sideline a lot,but we were still gaining yards. One thing for certain,we were inches from OT in the last game. As I said before,their player was hit in the backfield and just out powered our freshman for the 1st down. That happened a lot during the game. I think defensively,we will be fine with another years growth and work. As far as the offense,did you see Navy beat Pitt and ND with the same basic offense? I must admit,at first I did not like this offense. As the season went on,the boys executed better,and I could see where this offense could be very effective. Stay patient,I believe in our coaches and still think we are on the right track. GO CHIEFS!

You should really find a better example to compare to than Navy beating two teams with a combined record of

5-13. Sorry that is not very impressive. The offense needs to go hide and take the 3-5-3 defense with it. Or we will be sitting here again next year saying a play here or a play there and we would have been in the playoffs.

You should really find a better example to compare to than Navy beating two teams with a combined record of

5-13. Sorry that is not very impressive. The offense needs to go hide and take the 3-5-3 defense with it. Or we will be sitting here again next year saying a play here or a play there and we would have been in the playoffs.

I'll agree with the 3-5-3 but the veer is still effective. Marion went to the state championship multiple times running the veer. Average teams need an offensive system that is effective and proven to be successful. Would you rather see Sequoyah line up in Pro-I and run the power for no gain every play? They dont have enough skill players to run the spread and the QB isnt good enough to run many drop back passes. This team would have been 6-4 with a more experienced defense. The double wing option is the best offense for Sequoyah until they can build up a program with several skill players and lots of depth. Maybe then they can run an offense with more variety, but Vanilla is still the best flavor. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

Even with the record,even you must admit those 2 teams had a lot better athletes than Navy. The fact is neither team could stop that offense. By the way,I'm willing to take my chances with these coaches,and I will trust them to do what is right with this team and my son. Anybody can 2nd guess every play call that doesn't score,it doesn't take a genius to do that. I believe a play here or a play there will have us in the playoffs next year,with more to come as these coaches build this program. Defensively,I'm quite sure we will see changes. The 3-5-3 was to get the best athletes on the field,in my opinion. I just don't understand your gripe. The team was awfully young this year,and I for one was impressed with the way they grew up. Experience(or lack of) causes a lot of play here-play there circumstances. It is obvious they were receiving good coaching by the improvement they made throughout the year. Again.be patient,it is a process to go through coming from where they were. GO CHIEFS!