STARS are Sparta bound

StarsPres

QUOTE(StarsPres @ Jan 31 2007 - 05:11 PM) 826353548[/snapback]

White County stayed with Siegel for three quarters earlier in Murfreesboro. What will be the keys for each team?

Siegel may need snow shovels to get to the game - Siegel needs to get out early and be aggressive on defense & offense. I think we let Oakland dictate too much of the tempo early in our last game.

White Co. has been playing a little better lately and was in the game the entire way. White shot poorly from the field on their own court and still turning the ball over way too often. Good luck next game Warriorettes!

Joni was hobbled tonight, but still managed to give a great effort when she was in the game playing.

QUOTE(85warrior @ Feb 2 2007 - 11:24 PM) 826356649[/snapback]

White Co. has been playing a little better lately and was in the game the entire way. White shot poorly from the field on their own court and still turning the ball over way too often. Good luck next game Warriorettes!

Joni was hobbled tonight, but still managed to give a great effort when she was in the game playing.

WCHS splits 7AAA pair with Siegel

Date: 2/6/2007 2:04:00 PM

By:    Tammy Wilhite  

Sports Editor

pistol@spartaexpositor.com

The snow that moved across the middle Tennessee area early Friday could not stop the Warriors and Warriorettes from playing host to the Siegel team on Friday night. WCHS came up with a split in those games.

In the evening’s first game, the Warriorettes continued their string of almost getting over the hump against the top tier teams in the district. The Warriorettes battled back from an 11 point deficit in the first half to tie the score late in the third, but as has been the case for a great deal of their games this season, they just could not get over the hump. After tying the score at 28, WCHS turned the ball over on five of their next six possessions. Three of those turnovers came with the score tied and the Warriorettes having the opportunity to take the lead. Siegel (16-10, 9-3) kept a hold on third place with the 51-46 win. The Warriorettes fell to 15-12 overall and 4-8 in the district.

the Warriorettes jumped to a four-point lead. Lacy Yslas and Joni Simpson each scored in the first two minutes of the game. Allison Wright got Siegel on the board at the 6:02 mark when she knocked down the first of her four treys on the night. A basket by Carrie Parrott with 4:50 left in the period gave Siegel their first lead, 5-4.

Heather Roberts answered with a basket to put the Warriorettes back on top. That would be their last lead of the game. Siegel finished out the first quarter outscoring WCHS 9-3 to lead 14-9 at the end of one.

Another three by Wright and a pair of Star free throws began the second quarter increasing Siegel’s lead to 10. The Warriorettes were held scoreless until the 5:33 mark when Heather Roberts converted a steal into a lay-up. After a Star Simpson basket made it a six-point game with 4:32 to go before the half, Wright dialed long distance again. That was followed by a Parrott basket stretching the lead back to 11. That basket came with three minutes to go before the half. Siegel would not score again before the break. A basket by Yslas and a trey by Whitney MacLeod got the Warriorettes to within six, 24-18, at the intermission.

The Warriorettes would continue to cut into their deficit in the third quarter and, in fact, came back to tie the score. The Warriorettes outscored the Stars 10-4 in the quarter. The first of Siegel’s only two field goals in the frame was the first points of the period and came on an offensive putback. A three point play by Joni Simpson and a drive by Brittany Cash made it a three point game, 26-23, with just over four minutes remaining in the quarter. Siegel then missed back-to-back lay-ups and Roberts converted at the 3:08 mark making it a one-point game. Siegel ended an almost four minute scoreless streak with a basket at the 2:48 mark of the third quarter. Just over one minute later, Joni Simpson netted a trey tying the score at 28. Before the quarter ended, WCHS got the ball back two times, but turned the ball over both times. Fortunately for WCHS, Siegel was not able to score either and the two teams went into the fourth quarter tied.

WCHS continued the trend and turned the ball over on their first possession of the fourth quarter letting the third opportunity to take the lead fade away. Siegel took advantage this time and on a skip pass, knocked down a three pointer at the 7:19 mark. That put them on top 31-28. They would not relinquish the lead. The Warriorettes turned the ball over for the fourth straight time on the next possession and Siegel added a basket in the paint to stretch the lead to five.

The Warriorettes missed a shot on the next possession, but Siegel turned the ball over to WCHS. Nine seconds later, WCHS returned the favor with their fifth turnover in a four-minute span. Sigel converted that miscue into a lay-up increasing the lead to seven. The Warriorettes ended a 4:49 drought with one of two free throws by Joni Simpson making the score 35-29. After a Siegel turnover, a Cash drive to the basket got the Warriorettes to within four, 35-31, with 4:14 to play. However, Siegel answered with a three pointer to push the lead to seven. Yslas scored at the 3:36 mark and thus began another scoreless span for both teams. The next points of the game would came at the 1:05 mark when the Warriorettes purposefully sent the Stars to the free throw line. They, however, converted both free throws to make it a seven-point game. The Warriorettes would not score again until Roberts netted a trey at the buzzer to make the final of 41-36.

Over the final 3:35 of the game, the Warriorettes turned the ball over three times and missed three shots thwarting their chance at victory.

No Warriorette reached double figures. Joni Simpson, Roberts and Yslas tossed in nine points each to pace WCHS. WCHS shot 33.3 percent from the field overall, but hit only three of their 16 three point attempts. They were three of six from the free throw line.

Siegel shot 40 percent overall from the field and also attempted 16 three pointers. They hit six of their long-range attempts. They were seven of eight from the free throw line.

The White County High School teams have two regular season district contests remaining. They will be on the road Tuesday at archrival, Cookeville, and will host Riverdale Friday. They wrap up the regular season with Cumberland County on February 12th.

The week ahead is an especially tough one for the Warriorettes as they must wrap up district play against the top two teams. Cookeville, who defeated the Warriorettes 66-43 at Sparta, is currently the number two team in the district race and stands at 21-5 overall and 10-2 in the district. After facing off against the number two seed, the Warriorettes follow that up against the top seeded, Riverdale Lady Warriors. They are 11-1 in the district and 25-3 overall.

Warriorettes (36) – J.Simpson 9, Cash 4, Roberts 9, Yslas 9, S.Simpson 2, MacLeod 3.

Siegel (41) – Allison Wright 14, Faulkner 7, Kristen Seigenthaler 10, Spurlock 2, Parrott 8.

Three point baskets – WC 3 (Simpson, Roberts, MacLeod), SHS 6 (Wright 4, Faulkner 2). Rebounds – WC 21 (Yslas 4, Cash 4), SHS 23. Assists – WC 9 (Simpson 2, Roberts 2, Yslas 2). Steals – WC 12 (Simpson 3). Turnovers – WC 23, SHS 18.

Scoring by quarter:

WC - 9 9 10 8 – 36

SHS- 14 10 14 13 - 41

For More Coverage of This Game

QUOTE(PHargis @ Feb 10 2007 - 06:56 PM) 826366612[/snapback]

For those of you looking at this thread, this is an old thread and while it says siegel is going to sparta, that was the last game. The future gamewith sparta, in the Tournament will be held at siegel. the information is good though.

I think I'll stay away from making a prediction. You'll think I'm sandbagging.

QUOTE(85warrior @ Feb 10 2007 - 07:08 PM) 826366624[/snapback]

I think I'll stay away from making a prediction. You'll think I'm sandbagging.

I guess you have read the things I have said about White. You and dump are going to have to start feeding those girls at White. Seriously, i looked at some of your scores and games and with a couple of posts and Simpson at wing or Just one Post, White would possibly be contending for the topspot. Goodluck with finding that post.

QUOTE(PHargis @ Feb 10 2007 - 07:20 PM) 826366636[/snapback]

I guess you have read the things I have said about White. You and dump are going to have to start feeding those girls at White. Seriously, i looked at some of your scores and games and with a couple of posts and Simpson at wing or Just one Post, White would possibly be contending for the topspot. Goodluck with finding that post.

I agree. We need a BIG post badly. However, I am familiar with the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th grade teams and we don't have one coming up unless somebody hits a big growth spurt. We have a couple of 9th graders about 5'10" that can help, but now days you need a legitimate 6 footer or bigger to compete.

QUOTE(85warrior @ Feb 10 2007 - 08:20 PM) 826366683[/snapback]

I agree. We need a BIG post badly. However, I am familiar with the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th grade teams and we don't have one coming up unless somebody hits a big growth spurt. We have a couple of 9th graders about 5'10" that can help, but now days you need a legitimate 6 footer or bigger to compete.

i thought you and cookeville weresharing players. Why don't you work a trade?